Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: post hole digger

Default Re: post hole digger

Quote Originally Posted by seliment View Post
    Take a fools advice (wearing my farming hat ) ... get a contractor to do the lot, or at least get a contractor to drive the (treated pine)
    posts for you and put up the wire / ringlock mesh yourself.
    Pilot hole drilled and then rammed, the posts will be much more solid than what you can ever get by digging or drilling and then backfilling, (even if you ram them well).
    A good (home made) rammer is about a 1.8m length of 20 - 25mm waterpipe, weld / fix a short piece (about 60-70mm long) of about 40-50 mm pipe on end (or use gal pipe reducer fitting) and fill it (the ramming end) with lead or lead shot.
    I inherited one that grandfather had and it sure beats for ease of use, the rammer knob on end of a crowbar.

Joe.

Joe.
    I'm loving this advice, especially getting someone else to do it. What's the advantages and disadvantages if any of pine posts over steel Joe? The only enquiries I've made so far is about Warratah fencing and the chinese equivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    I'm loving this advice, especially getting someone else to do it. What's the advantages and disadvantages if any of pine posts over steel Joe? The only enquiries I've made so far is about Warratah fencing and the chinese equivalent.
    Wooden (treated pine) tend to make a more robust / durable / long lasting fence.
    Also depends what you want the fence for and your soil type etc.
    On my farm (which is ex swampland drained black soils over limestone which get very wet/soft in winter, steel star posts tend not to keep very upright over the longterm whereas the larger diam pine posts do. Pine posts with some star posts as intermediates works well, especially with the ringlock type meshes.
    No doubt you realize you won't be cementing the posts in like you might with an urban fence construction.

What is purpose of fence, just a delineation, keep in/out wild animals (... Good luck), keep in/out cattle, sheep etc. Do you plan to use rabbit netting to control that vermin animal?
    And I can assure you that if you have entire male animals ( rams, bulls etc), you need a good fence to contain them and maintain good relations with neighbours. In fact good practice is 2 fences between males and your neighbour.
    We (farmers) don't really appreciate the neighbours ram/bull leaving his calling cards behind as get goes to work on your (young) females.
    If you are running sheep only, you can skip the barb wire(s) unless you have breeds that are 'jumpers' eg some of the British breeds, some of which also have reputation for attempting to crawl under fences.

Have you thought about an electric fence option?

Anyway enjoy your fencing as you learn to tie wire knots etc etc
    You will need some good basic tools .. Several Good pliers, good wire strainer, spinner for holding/uncoiling wire from, and probable a gripple tensioner as gripple fasteners are an easier way of joining wires than knots (almost impossible in high tensile wire) and allow retensioning later if/when wire stretches and gets slack.

You will begin to love fencing.

I'll send you a PM Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanpatch;149746[B
    ]I've got the slammer. [/B]Good for digging a hard hole or 2, wouldn't be using it for heaps. Small auger is great for posts and plants. A lot of them have a spring to ease impact. You don't need to use them at full revs. I just lightly rev it so that if i hit something it doesn't buck like a horse.
    Just ordered a slammer tool for a job. Dont intend to use it too much though after this. Not cheap so anyone who wants to hire it give me a call!!!

Smile Re: post hole digger

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    Just ordered a slammer tool for a job. Dont intend to use it too much though after this. Not cheap so anyone who wants to hire it give me a call!!!
    Where did you get yours? - Bought mine last yr from Monbulk Rural (at the Wandin field day).
    Very effective on digging into agapanthus, flax and the like.

Also for hire --- dry hire only ie. does not come with operator - you could not afford to pay what the operator asks ( )

Joe

Cancel the order & hire Joe's
    Cheers Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by seliment View Post
    Where did you get yours? - Bought mine last yr from Monbulk Rural (at the Wandin field day).
    Very effective on digging into agapanthus, flax and the like.

Also for hire --- dry hire only ie. does not come with operator - you could not afford to pay what the operator asks ( )

Joe
    Dawn Mowers Surrey Hills. Pick up Monday

Any tips on using it Joe?? Like keep it away from your toes!!!

Dawn Mowers Surrey Hills. Pick up Monday

Any tips on using it Joe?? Like keep it away from your toes!!!
    Were you aware that they are manufactured here in Melb (Heidelberg) by Ryset tools under contract, so you are getting a locally made tool.

No real tips, depending on what your use is, keep blade in good order, but it's bisalloy steel (ie dozer blade), so pretty hard to do any real mischief to. Toes are safe (more so than a crowbar) as you just put blade in place before you start 'slamming'. Just keep up the persistence with the (slide hammer) until target gives way. That's what does the work, not the big initial impact like when using crowbar or mattock.
    Don't be fearful of getting hands pinched in the slide - never have yet.
    If you find it hard to lift the slide (suction effect), the slammer tool fellow told me to wipe away any excess graease and give the rubber grommet/sleeve a bit of a stretch.

I think you will find tool useful and easy to use.

Joe

Thanks Joe, pick it up Tuesday and break it in Tuesday arvo

Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post
    Think its a good idea but only if the plant you're planting is considerably smaller than the hole.
    Reason being, I was taught (& believe) don't plant into round holes as the the roots may continue to spiral.
    I think its ok though if, there is plenty of loose soil between the newly planted plant & outside of the hole, giving the roots a start b4 hitting more compact soil.
    I watched the vid but didn't see the guy standing when he dug the holes with the longer auger, he was still stooped!
    I think if the auger was longer, he could have stood & it would have been far better for his posture.

Its still just meant for small pots with those diameter augers, even if the reem the hole with the auger.

Cheers Fred.

obviously for tube stock, would be good only in sandy, loamy type soils IMO ......could buy one though lol

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12