Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 21 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Glyphosate, Good for what ails you

lifestyle

Default Glyphosate, Good for what ails you

I found the report i mentioned in a previous post...

Source: http://www.mcs-global.org/Documents/...20Brochure.doc

ROUNDUP AND THE ENVIRONMENT
    Roundup has been found to be highly deadly to tadpoles when used in recommended concentrations, suggesting a possible cause for the decline in frog species world wide. Glyphosate containing products are acutely toxic to fish and have been shown to kill beneficial insects such as parasitic wasps, ladybirds, lacewings and predatory beetles, and to affect earthworms, beneficial fungi and soil bacteria. Various insects such as butterflies, whose larvae feed on weeds, can be affected by the loss of food sources due to herbicide use. Glyphosate has indirect impacts on birds, which depend on plants for shelter and food, and the insects which feed on them.

Some weeds, such as annual rye grass in Australia, are reported to be developing natural resistance to glyphosate, making the herbicide ineffective.

THE INTERNATIONAL AND LOCAL SITUATION
    In the USA and Canada growing numbers of local government authorities have stopped using herbicides in street maintenance and have even placed local bans and other restrictions on the private use of pesticides and herbicides. Some governments have developed education campaigns on the health problems associated with herbicides. In the USA at least a dozen states have introduced pesticide legislation requiring prior public notification of commercial pesticide and herbicide applications. The Danish government is considering restrictions on Roundup after it was found to be contaminating groundwater used for drinking. The City of Auckland, New Zealand, only uses herbicide when no alternative is available. In Western Australia the Cities of Fremantle and Nedlands have stopped using herbicide routinely in street maintenance due to residents’ health concerns but most local governments in Australia simply ignore the problem.

MORE INFORMATION
    Residents Organising Against Roundup has recently formed in SA and is already active in NSW.
    Glyphosate Fact Sheet Part 1 & 2.

http://www.mindfully.org/Pesticide/R...tsheet-Cox.htm
    Ontario College of Family Physicians Pesticide Review

http://www.ocfp.on.ca/English/OCFP/C...efault.asp?s=1

Our Stolen Future: Exposure early in life to herbicides and pesticides.

http://www.ourstolenfuture.org/NewSc...4salametal.htm

BeyondPesticides http://www.beyondpesticides.org/lawn/activist/index.htm

GENERAL SYMPTOMS OF GLYPHOSATE EXPOSURE
    Although glyphosate is considered to be less toxic than most other herbicides, it is still a serious poison.

Acute health problems following unintentional exposure to glyphosate include:

● Eye Irritation
    ● Painful Eyes
    ● Burning Eyes
    ● Blurred Vision
    ● Swollen Eyes, Face And Joints
    ● Blisters
    ● Skin Rash
    ● Rapid Heartbeat
    ● Heart Palpitations
    ● High Blood Pressure
    ● Chest Pains
    ● Coughing
    ● Headache
    ● Nausea
    ● Facial Numbness
    ● Burning Sensation On Skin
    ● Itchy Skin
    ● Tingling Skin
    ● Recurrent Eczema
    ● Fatigue
    ● Breathing Problems

WHAT HAPPENS TO THE GLYPHOSATE WHEN IT IS SPRAYED AROUND OUR STREETS AND HOMES?

Monsanto claims that Roundup “has no residual soil activity” is “completely biodegradable” and “sticks very tightly to the soil”. They also advise that “children and pets should be kept away from the sprayed area until the weeds are completely dry” but that “this is simply to avoid transferring Roundup from the treated weeds onto desirable plants”. But how accurate are these claims?

Glyphosate is considered by independent researchers to be a persistent environmental pollutant. Glyphosate residues have been found in lettuce, carrots and barley planted one year after glyphosate applications. Glyphosate can also evaporate from certain soils, with up to 80% of applied glyphosate evaporating within a two-hour period. The fact that glyphosate is both highly persistent and relatively mobile in soil increases its toxic potential. In addition, glyphosate is always used as a spray and the problem of spray-drift cannot be avoided no matter how carefully it is applied. Glyphosate can be detected in the urine of farm children who were present when it was mixed or sprayed. Due to their small size and immaturity children are at increased risk of damage from herbicides.

People with chemical sensitivity report severe reactions to minor spray-drift and glyphosate residues. Even walking in an area that has been sprayed several days earlier can make some people sick for weeks or months with allergy-type symptoms.

MONSATO’S HISTORY OF DECEPTION
    Laboratories used to assess the safety of glyphosate have been associated with fraudulent practices. In 1991 allegations of falsified data by the US Environment Protection Agency resulted in criminal charges and multi-million dollar fines. In 1996 and 1998 Monsanto was successfully sued by the New York State Attorney General for “false and misleading” advertising regarding the human and environmental safety of Roundup.

Wink Re: Glyphosate, Good for what ails you

Lifestyle

Chemicals seem to be your 'bug bear' and preaching their 'evils' more than just a hobby.

How about a supplying a list of 'safe', cost effective alternatives to the most common chemicals we use today? Names of these, estimated cost and supplier details would be most practical.

Without these we will keep doing what we have always done!

No doubt you would like us to buy these (from you!)

Until then, Round up and I will remain the best of freinds.
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Default Re: Glyphosate, Good for what ails you

agree david ,effective solutions to round up would be great and i dont want a long list of salt and stuff need practical alternatives if avaviable at reasonable costs
    round to remain especially used the right way

Here here i will still use round and pestercides as i know they work and i use full PPE (Personal Protecion Equipment ) then you dont get all the Symptons You have listed do it right the first time then it does not have to be done again
    regards Hustler

lifestyle

Quote Originally Posted by glassngrass
    Lifestyle

Chemicals seem to be your 'bug bear' and preaching their 'evils' more than just a hobby.

How about a supplying a list of 'safe', cost effective alternatives to the most common chemicals we use today? Names of these, estimated cost and supplier details would be most practical.

Without these we will keep doing what we have always done!

No doubt you would like us to buy these (from you!)

Until then, Round up and I will remain the best of freinds.
    Thats probably a catch 22.

Organic Horticulture and Organic Agriculture is the use of sustainable techniques using no or limited chemicals.

So to write in an "Organic Forum" one needs to talk in some way about the use, miss-use and over-use of chemicals.

I say this openly, not directing it at any individual but at the Horticulture & Agriculture industry as a whole - The Industry has for some time been hasty in its approach to using chemicals (particularly glyphosate) because its effective, its relatively cheap and it allows the user the ability to get in get the job done and get out. "Wham! Bam! Thank You Sam - Next!"

In many ways, laziness has crept into the Hort & Ag Industries. Bigger farms and the Search for a Bigger pay check with minimal extra work are closer to the top of the list of priorities than an individuals health or environmental effects.

Many i have spoken face to face with have said "Its safe enough to drink" or "Nothings happened to me yet" - Meanwhile... Mum has bad excema, dad has bowel cancer, grandma has facial numbness, uncle has severe heart palpatations [insert any loved ones medical problem here] and we deny that the use of chemicals in our daily lives have anything to do with it or approach it with an "Well what do you do" attitude.

I am reminded of the old guy sitting in the pub. He lights up a smoke and the young guy sitting next to him says "Those things will kill you ya know", to which he replies... "Bull**** [cough] [cough], they haven't [cough], done anything [wheeze], to me [cough] [cough] and i've been [wheeze] smoking since i was a [cough] kid!"

We all have circumstances that require us to do the best we can with what we've got. No one person can direct any fault at any one individual for doing the best they can to support themselves and their families, but as an industry its way past time we stopped looking for the easiest and cheapest way out and begin looking at the consequences.

To answer your questions,

1. I have found the best chemical to eradicate weeds is, sweat.

2. Is Organics my "Bug Bear"... probably. Depends on your definition. But as a good friend always says...

"Practice what you passion".

3. Buy Chemicals from me... lol No. I have nothing to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by lifestyle
    Acute health problems following unintentional exposure to glyphosate include:

● Eye Irritation
    ● Painful Eyes
    ● Burning Eyes
    ● Blurred Vision
    ● Swollen Eyes, Face And Joints
    ● Blisters
    ● Skin Rash
    ● Rapid Heartbeat
    ● Heart Palpitations
    ● High Blood Pressure
    ● Chest Pains
    ● Coughing
    ● Headache
    ● Nausea
    ● Facial Numbness
    ● Burning Sensation On Skin
    ● Itchy Skin
    ● Tingling Skin
    ● Recurrent Eczema
    ● Fatigue
    ● Breathing Problems
    Bloody hell...they put Glyphosate in red wine
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

lifestyle

Quote Originally Posted by Hustler
    Here here i will still use round and pestercides as i know they work and i use full PPE (Personal Protecion Equipment ) then you dont get all the Symptons You have listed do it right the first time then it does not have to be done again
    regards Hustler
    Thats good! Your protected. But what about the kids playing on the freshly sprayed lawn/garden. Or the Pet cat that catches the drift then goes and sleeps on bed.

lifestyle

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey
    Bloody hell...they put Glyphosate in red wine
    Thats similar to the "Well what do you do" attitude i was referring to. Thanks for the example.

if you do it to ohs standards and your own ohs plan you should not afectt any one unless they are stupid or carless .you should not spray when its windy if you look up the beafort wind scale it will help you understand when and how http://www.health.vic.gov.au/pestcon...news/windscale.
    regards hustler
    Ps i hope this helps all contractors out there but i know we all try to spray when we can if we went by the scale we proberly would never get the right conditions

lifestyle

if you do it to ohs standards and your own ohs plan you should not afectt any one unless they are stupid or carless .you should not spray when its windy if you look up the beafort wind scale it will help you understand when and how http://www.health.vic.gov.au/pestcon...news/windscale.
    regards hustler
    True!

But if the product being used requires one to take extra caution in its use or to heed warnings or watch wind direction or to not spray around pets or kids etc, etc, then chances are good the chemical is toxic.

usellay its dry within one hour so if you advise the customer to keep children and pets inside if i use pestercides my ohs is that they leave for four hrs (pets and Humans ) this covers me and my insurance.
    Regards Hustler
    ps thats why you should be licenced and insured )
    ? how many people are not Quilfyed or insured it would be good to do a survey on it .

lifestyle

usellay its dry within one hour so if you advise the customer to keep children and pets inside if i use pestercides my ohs is that they leave for four hrs (pets and Humans ) this covers me and my insurance.
    Regards Hustler
    One thing the bottle doesn't say is the dispersent reactivates when the dried chemical is wet. Spray it tonight, get a frost tomorrow and the chemical is active again.

Test it your self. Wash a dish in the sink with dishwash liquid, let it dry without wiping it. When it dries wet your hand and rub over it. It will feel slippery and shiny. Thats the dried detergent reactivating in contact with the water.

ffs lifestyle stop the crap and give the alternative that works

get your hand off it you have to go on and on im sick of you

Quote Originally Posted by lifestyle

The Industry has for some time been hasty in its approach to using chemicals (particularly glyphosate) because its effective, its relatively cheap and it allows the user the ability to get in get the job done and get out. "Wham! Bam! Thank You Sam - Next!"

In many ways, laziness has crept into the Hort & Ag Industries. Bigger farms and the Search for a Bigger pay check with minimal extra work are closer to the top of the list of priorities than an individuals health or environmental effects.
    I am reminded of the old guy sitting in the pub. He lights up a smoke and the young guy sitting next to him says "Those things will kill you ya know", to which he replies... "Bull**** [cough] [cough], they haven't [cough], done anything [wheeze], to me [cough] [cough] and i've been [wheeze] smoking since i was a [cough] kid!"

We all have circumstances that require us to do the best we can with what we've got. ... as an industry its way past time we stopped looking for the easiest and cheapest way out and begin looking at the consequences.

1. I have found the best chemical to eradicate weeds is, sweat.
    Five or ten minute spray of grass/weeds in paths, borders and garden beds - $10.
    Elbow grease for same - $$$ ?

The customer dictates to a large extent what we do for them. I would make HEAPS if I weeded all my customers properties by hand regularly - I wouldn't need to mow! Use of glyphosate isn't laziness on my part, but the cheap and easy option our customers choose - they WANT "Wham! Bam! Thank You Sam "- Stop the clock and calulate the bill - not half their take home on weeding!

Roundup has been found to be highly deadly to tadpoles ... possible cause for the decline in frog species ... acutely toxic to fish etc..
    Anybody spraying this stuff in wetlands, rivers, lakes, etc... should be strung up by the 'nurries'. As professionals we should behave in a responsible manner and use sparingly - not to 'nuke the place!' like many DIY's with their Mitre 10 pre-mixed spray packs!

Yes, when it gets to the point this stuff gets banned, THEN the customer will feel the consequences of THEIR choices, until then, this remains the choice of favor among most of them!

A bit like smoking - many don't see the need to stop until advanced stages of emphysemia and they physically can't draw in (and still deny there is a problem!)

By the way, do you smoke?
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Page 1 of 21 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast