Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steam weeders

Hybrid View

Default Steam weeders

Steam weeders as an alternative to round up/ glyphosate, has anyone used one or found one thats commercially viable? Like a lot of you I'm concerned about using round up. I've been searching the web and i see a few Australian councils are using steam weeders. A brand called weed technics popped up a bit which can be found here weedtechnics.com these seem expensive and rather bulky for what the majority of us do. Has anyone found a smaller cheaper option that we could start using? With a lot of us looking at greener safer options i figure steam weeders would be high on the agenda.

Default Re: Steam weeders

I too looked around for a good one at a reasonable price, without success. One factor to consider would be the longer application time. It would take longer to effectively treat an area with steam than it would to spray it. If the customer is happy to wear the added cost of your time for the benefit of quicker visible results and not worrying about spray drift onto roses etc then everyone is happy. Another benefit is not having to worry about the weather conditions like you do with glypho.

Other thing to take into account is the OHS side of things dealing with what is essentially a pressure vessel and heated vapour. Just something else to consider
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

I tried a small flame weeder once, it took forever and isnt much good in mulched gardens

Probably more hazardous than steam

Quote Originally Posted by 4 Gardens View Post
    I tried a small flame weeder once, it took forever and isnt much good in mulched gardens

Probably more hazardous than steam
    Yep me too, I use it for lighting the Camp Fire now and heating steel lol
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Steve View Post
    Steam weeders as an alternative to round up/ glyphosate, has anyone used one or found one thats commercially viable? Like a lot of you I'm concerned about using round up. I've been searching the web and i see a few Australian councils are using steam weeders. A brand called weed technics popped up a bit which can be found here weedtechnics.com these seem expensive and rather bulky for what the majority of us do. Has anyone found a smaller cheaper option that we could start using? With a lot of us looking at greener safer options i figure steam weeders would be high on the agenda.
    I am happy to chat if you are still keen on alternatives to using round up in sensitive areas. I have a Weedtechnics SW900 steam weeding machine and I have local contracts with schools, council and local hospital. Woks great and also a fantastic cleaner with the hot water. I do lots of pressure cleaning jobs like council footpaths etc. Cheers Paul

Quote Originally Posted by garden warrior View Post
    I am happy to chat if you are still keen on alternatives to using round up in sensitive areas. I have a Weedtechnics SW900 steam weeding machine and I have local contracts with schools, council and local hospital. Woks great and also a fantastic cleaner with the hot water. I do lots of pressure cleaning jobs like council footpaths etc. Cheers Paul
    Cheers Paul,

i'll send you a private message when i get a spare moment. I might ask you some questions about the Northern Rivers area while i'm at it if you don't mind. Cheers Craig.

Steam weeders as an alternative to round up/ glyphosate,.... Like a lot of you I'm concerned about using round up. .... i see a few Australian councils are using steam weeders. .... With a lot of us looking at greener safer options i figure steam weeders would be high on the agenda.
    Would you be related to Eric (Lifestyle) ?

http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?2598-Glyphosate-Good-for-what-ails-you
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Quote Originally Posted by glassngrass View Post
    No, I dont know Erik

30 plus years spraying with chems much worse than gly and i'm still here

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    30 plus years spraying with chems much worse than gly and i'm still here
    yep - l'm still highly dubious of the claims re gly and cancer etc

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    yep - l'm still highly dubious of the claims re gly and cancer etc
    Yeah teckon it could be a bit like smoking!

I did some searching today and could not see much unless you want to spend $5k plus

Maybe one of the more talented on here could make one for us to buy?

I am still using slasher which is non toxic .....its pretty expensive if you buy by the litres @ 27 bucks the killer is the amount you use per litre ...70mm ...but you can half the cost if you buy bulk in 20 litres...one good thing with slasher ..results are same day the client can see the result within hours....i don't use it for large broad spraying though but i have to use at schools kinder etc...
    I have seen the steamer at work and its pretty aggressive on the weeds for sure but no good when you have mulched areas.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast