Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: just wondering....

Default just wondering....

10-20 mm predicted for Melbourne tomorrow the 1st aug......What do u guys do?....Cancel all of tomorows appointments knowing 10 - 20 mm is a write off or do you wait till tomorrow{ Monday} and then wait and see....Ive been caught out cancelling on the sunday then the Monday comes along and no rain..Ducking and diving is I suppose a part of this job...Something ive never quite got used to...lol....

Default Re: just wondering....

I'll sit home till 10.00 before deciding and writing off the day also mentioning to customers if it clears up near midday i'll go to work
    Got caught too many times telling them no good today only for it to become a workable day a few hours later
    All depends how big a round you got,back in the early days had no choice (60 lawns a week) put on the raincoat and go for it,or work Sunday to catch up

Quote Originally Posted by lemonhead View Post
    10-20 mm predicted for Melbourne tomorrow the 1st aug......What do u guys do?....Cancel all of tomorows appointments knowing 10 - 20 mm is a write off or do you wait till tomorrow{ Monday} and then wait and see....Ive been caught out cancelling on the sunday then the Monday comes along and no rain..Ducking and diving is I suppose a part of this job...Something ive never quite got used to...lol....
    Not much you can do. What annoys me on wet days, it's good fishing time gone to waste. End up with cabin fever.

Just be prepared to put everything back a day or 2, could be 3 even. You know what Melbourne weather can be like. So should your clients. Make contact when you know and give an estimate of time, next day or 2 (if weather is reasonable)
    Clients should also know what weather can be like at this time of year and SHOULD understand assuming you make contact! If they don't understand or think they are 1 of only a few you need to mow Its either they don't give a s*** OR you have not communicated it over the last few years.
    Either way I would be catching up on other things I need to do, probably after about 3 cups of coffee!

Rockin Re: just wondering....

I know what ill be doing, a sleep in tomorrow then Baggers and mash at the pub, beers and a bet.

Rain = Money, a time to be happy is when its raining

the Soil is wet enough now that ill be mowing strong into February, even if spring rains are shyt like last year. If we get average spring rains ill mow fortnightly for 10 months from Sept - July.

I never contact my customers, they are told from the begining that if it rains ill get there when i can, and i also have no set days for jobs. the schedule is mine to manipulate the way it suits me.

Belted down here all night and its still going
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

AS predicted its pretty decent wet weather here today....ive moved everyone fwd a day..tomorrow being ok but will still be a bit slushy underfoot...

AS predicted its pretty decent wet weather here today....ive moved everyone fwd a day..tomorrow being ok but will still be a bit slushy underfoot...
    We've had next to nothing down here on the peninsula so far. I should have gone and done a few odd jobs instead of shopping lol.

10mm or so Lemon Don't you have a rain jacket??

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

Get out there and do it. If it's shower it's better to get some done than none. That said, if it's raining hard and continuous I pull the pin as cleaning up can be a time killer. Always text the client saying I'll be the asap or give a time for those that need one.

I never plan my day based on what the weather forecast says, to many times they have said it will rain all day, and not a drop has come down. Also don't work if it rains. Clients all know I will get there sometime.

I plan to work and tell clients that I rely on the weather bureau being less than 50% right most of the time. And if it's wet there's always planning or sharpening or cleaning or look at bank account and work anyway.