Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wet Grass Clogging Z turn

Hybrid View

Default Wet Grass Clogging Z turn

i know this subject has been talked about before but i need some help...
    My 48 ride on has a fabricated deck and as you know they have baffles between blade section which for mulching they are a great system WHEN ITS DRY
    normal grasses Kikuyu is not a huge problem when the grass is wet but for weeds like cape weed clovers and all the crap stuff ..if wet like duey mornings the deck has difficulty clearing forcing you to stop turn off the blades and let the crap drop....i get around this when it dries out but Melbourne has turned on a very very wet winter and looks like rain till christmas...
    Has any one solved this problem yet,,,,coke tin decks with no baffles are fine but not as tough and seen too many contractors come to grief with those one...apparently Husqvarna have new model on their Z turns that dont use baffles and are a fabricated deck??? dont really want to buy one them as my hustler is a beauty with no spanners taken to it so far.....

Default Re: Wet Grass Clogging Z turn

Hi Geoff. Are you talking about the full mulch kit like this one? https://www.hustlerturf.com/products/Fastrak (In the Attachments section towards the bottom of the page)

My Gravely clogs up pretty quick mulching wet grass too. I don't think you can do much about it if you can;t avoid it. Maybe try low lift blades, although my wavy mulch blades are low lift & still clog up.
    Would you get a tidy enough result if you took out the mulch plates & fitted gator blades & let it fly out the side?

thanks mate for your input...actually i use the side throw more than not and its still a problem....maybe gator blades let it fly out the side could be a go....

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    thanks mate for your input...actually i use the side throw more than not and its still a problem....maybe gator blades let it fly out the side could be a go....
    I use Gators and it clogs up more Geoff. Gators won't throw it as far and it seems to build more easily. My high lifts clear it best.
    ( What machine/deck do you have? ) Different decks have different issues

Have you checked that the RPM is up to speed? A few hundred rpm can make a big difference.

probably throw the gunk harder up the fcking deck lol its the baffles the openings are small ....maybe take the baffles down increase the openings .

I realised very early that a mulch kit wouldn't work at all on my gravely, most lawns l have to side throw. Rarely use the chute blocker, couldn't imagine using a full mulch kit here....maybe on a golfcourse lol

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

reckon ya right there redeye...spot on

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    i know this subject has been talked about before but i need some help...
    My 48 ride on has a fabricated deck and as you know they have baffles between blade section which for mulching they are a great system WHEN ITS DRY
    normal grasses Kikuyu is not a huge problem when the grass is wet but for weeds like cape weed clovers and all the crap stuff ..if wet like duey mornings the deck has difficulty clearing forcing you to stop turn off the blades and let the crap drop....i get around this when it dries out but Melbourne has turned on a very very wet winter and looks like rain till christmas...
    Has any one solved this problem yet,,,,coke tin decks with no baffles are fine but not as tough and seen too many contractors come to grief with those one...apparently Husqvarna have new model on their Z turns that dont use baffles and are a fabricated deck??? dont really want to buy one them as my hustler is a beauty with no spanners taken to it so far.....
    Unfortunately someone has to tell you what you don't want to hear.
    You have to know your machines limitations

The only things I have found you can really do besides push mowing are - make sure deck is squeaky clean before you start, mow the weed crap last, listen to it building up then go stop & drop it, maybe even turn off & scrape it (if you can get that low) somewhere off lawn where it can be cleaned up.
    Maybe you could get out of bed later and try afternoons occasionally

I mowed thick & tall grass while raining in East bentleigh couple month ago.
    Using Scag Cheetah (velocity plus deck) + G5 gator blade with the highest height. The grass was very thick and probably around 40-50cm high. No clogging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loN2...ature=youtu.be

HOWEVER, my Scag V-ride (advantage deck) always clog when wet using the same blade G5

gator blades do clog more, the grass is cut more meaning more sticky juice is released to the deck, also they effect the airflow. I only use them in summer because i still have a couple of new sets.

Get the highest lift blades you can, my Husky dealer gets me the ones use if I had a catcher attached. There seams to be highlift blades and then extra high lift catching blades.

also make sure you have your mower is pitched forward to allow airflow to enter from the rear of the deck, about 10mm higher at the back, this will give you better airflow, the front of the blades will be the only area cutting and throw the in the right direction towards the chute, you will also have less clipping circulating that adds to clogging.

Quote Originally Posted by Macka View Post
    gator blades do clog more, the grass is cut more meaning more sticky juice is released to the deck, also they effect the airflow. I only use them in summer because i still have a couple of new sets.

Get the highest lift blades you can, my Husky dealer gets me the ones use if I had a catcher attached. There seams to be highlift blades and then extra high lift catching blades.

also make sure you have your mower is pitched forward to allow airflow to enter from the rear of the deck, about 10mm higher at the back, this will give you better airflow, the front of the blades will be the only area cutting and throw the in the right direction towards the chute, you will also have less clipping circulating that adds to clogging.
    Totally agree , my latest purchase of blades were high lift plus and adjusting the deck like yours works a dream... so much better

thanks for the tip mate

I cut the front bafflle out of my deck a few months ago, modded/welded up so the front of the deck is a clear all the way now to the chut, made a huge different , doesnt block as much, doesnt leave that uncut strip. i supose i have change the deck to a discharge deck

my deck only had one front baffle between the left hand blade and the center one. that the area that was causing ploblems, the left hand blade was inclosed and would clog and it left strips of uncut grass between the blades.

I think the clogged deck stopped suction and with baffle was holding grass down causing the miss cut.

The airflow out the chut is notiable better deck cleaner, and can cut faster as grass is getting cleared quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Macka View Post
    I cut the front bafflle out of my deck a few months ago, modded/welded up so the front of the deck is a clear all the way now to the chut, made a huge different , doesnt block as much, doesnt leave that uncut strip. i supose i have change the deck to a discharge deck

my deck only had one front baffle between the left hand blade and the center one. that the area that was causing ploblems, the left hand blade was inclosed and would clog and it left strips of uncut grass between the blades.

I think the clogged deck stopped suction and with baffle was holding grass down causing the miss cut.

The airflow out the chut is notiable better deck cleaner, and can cut faster as grass is getting cleared quicker.
    Be interested in a pic of what you have achieved macka .....by removing the baffles it would i guess be side discharge only but I dont mulch with the hustler

i haven't removed any baffles but i did use the high lift blades which has improved performance in wet grass ...still on dewy mornings the deck does clog up....I am a bit concerned though that removing the baffles will reduce the strength of the deck ?????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast