Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Newbie in Kiama, NSW

Default Newbie in Kiama, NSW

Hi all, have been a member for nearly a whole 2 weeks so thought I better get some points on the rung and start talking to fellow members.
    Long story short is that I have been off my fulltime job for near 10 weeks after rotator cuff surgery and used my available capital to buy a secondhand 8x5 trailer and a selection of secondhand Honda, Atom mowers etc plus a very cheap but working Aldi 4st blower.
    My business is called Integrated Maintenance Solutions and will focus on the Kiama area of the Illawarra.
    As I am unable to technically do any work my youngest son who is unemployed is now my physical to do guy while I focus on business development, quoting etc.
    So all things going to plan, in 12 months I will hand over all the acquired gear and then start again with either an unemployed or similar person who is >50yo. Obviously buying the gear is an expense but if you hunt around there are bargains out there. In essence I am hoping to show at least a few people who need a hand that opportunity is still there for them to seek out and take control off.
    If this all goes pear shaped then it seems that my future direction is mapped out.
    I have been looking at the forum and can the wealth of information and support on offer, so I am probably going to tap into this in the near and distant future.
    Website and Facebook page will hopefully be up on the next fortnight but lets see. I am focussing on that brand recognition thing by wearing a branded shirt and distributing flyers etc etc but most importantly talking to as many people as possible.......I am hoping for a progressive level of growth from this.
    I look forward to talking, meeting and leveraging where necessary off your experience and knowldge.

Cheers and Thanks Guys & Gals..

Peter

Default Re: Newbie in Kiama, NSW

Welcome aboard
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

welcome aboard indeed
    lots of potential around your area with all the new growth around Gerroa/Gerringong, you'll want a self propelled with all the hills I'd reckon......

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Welcome mate. Listen to these bastards. They know their ****
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

been said so many times ..set up the business with good stuff.....we mentioned the coffee shop analogy in other posts where you would just but a kettle and a toaster to start up a coffee shop...gardening business you should buy the best commercial stuff to achieve the wow factor and more importantly the reliability of performing the task without going home to fix a broken down old mower... so forget the bargains buy the best or p1ss off ( my way of saying be a professional from day one ) because this mowing /gardening game is a business and to run it successfully it has to be treated as no different to a plumbing electrical or any other trade...good operators command just as a good of rate of pay if they are set up the professional way.. approaching 30 years in the business i have seen thats the best way to go...just food for thought others may differ in opinion..we all are allowed to express our views ...good luck mate hope it works out

Welcome aboard. Good to see someone local joining up (I'm in Albion Park). Definitely invest in good quality gear ASAP and keep the other stuff as backup. Might catch up with you on the road sometime.

Welcome aboard Peter. Hope it all goes well. Just remember the harder you work at it the luckier you will probably get
    Ask all the questions you need to as most of us have probably asked them before. Many guys will share what you need to know- some may only do it in the private section.

Thanks all for the welcome, advice and ongoing opportunity to talk etc.
    I have no doubt about the commitment and work required to make my business a success not only for myself but to those who have confidence in my work.
    One thing I have done is to register another business name that reflects what we do and through it will make marketing a lot more targeted and to the point, the name and logo I will post shortly.
    Agains thanks and will speak soon.
    Dare to be different, make someone elses day..!!