Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: backpack vs handheld leaf blowers

Default backpack vs handheld leaf blowers

I'm looking at a Stihl leaf blower (preferably 2nd hand) to upgrade from my Victa.

I've seen a BR600 Magnum backpack blower in good condition for about $400 (think they will drop the $ a bit) while I can get a new BG86 hand held for about the same price.
    There's obviously issues of warranty and wear on the 2 units (new vs used) ... however does anyone have views on the pros & cons of backpack vs handheld blowers?
    Do you really need the extra power of a backpack for mostly domestic mowing gigs considering it's heavier?

Any thoughts or views would be appreciated.

Robert

Default Re: backpack vs handheld leaf blowers

i'd grab the backpack if its in good nick

edit......

don't think they'd invented b/pack blowers when l started, l got a echo hand held to start with....went through 2-3 blowers then l imported a tanaka backpack from USA a few years back (which aren't made any more ) haven't used a hand held since......

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    i'd grab the backpack if its in good nick

edit......

don't think they'd invented b/pack blowers when l started, l got a echo hand held to start with....went through 2-3 blowers then l imported a tanaka backpack from USA a few years back (which aren't made any more ) haven't used a hand held since......
    thanks for the feedback, I have had one person say that by the end of the day the backpack made his back sore so I'm interested to get other feedback

Hi Lawnmower Guy
    For any bigger jobs I much prefer my backpack blower. Mine is a cheap ebay model which is 3 years old.
    For some jobs the hand held blower is more manoeuvrable ie under a patio with table and chairs and hanging pots.
    For a hand held I am really liking my 80v victa cordless. So much I am going to sell my echo hand held.
    I find the backpack blower better on my back than carrying a handheld. The handheld makes you lop sided from carrying the thing unless it is a very small job.
    There is a 85cc backpack blower for sale on ebay at the moment for under $300. If I was buying a new blower thats what I would look at.
    Cheers
    hjl

I've been using a Stihl BR600 Magnum for 8 years or so, my hand held blower just gathers dust these days. I'd get the backpack blower for sure, way more power and easy to use. I've never experienced a sore back from using mine for extended periods of time, you just need to make sure you have got the straps fitting you correctly.

thanks hjl & m287j
    looks like I'll check out the second hand backpack machine on the way home after I deal with a 'jungle' job this morning. Always appreciate advice from people who actually use the gear.

Robert

I use my back pack all the time. Hardly ever use the hand held anymore. Its a Shindy that I got in from the US Cost me $500 all up delivered to my door. No warranty but the thing hasn't missed a beat in 5 yrs and get used every day.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

I'd agree with the comments about the power of the Stihl backpack and I have an older BR 550 one myself. Not every situation requires it though. For instance after trimming a hedge located in a garden bed with a nice layer of brand new pine bark mulch, the Stihl is too powerful even at idle to move the hedge trimmings without disturbing the mulch.

An 80V unit like the Kobalt or Victa, set on it's lowest setting, has just the right amount of blow for the job and is a lot more manouverable. I find I probably use my Kobalt more than my Stihl. With the Stihl you need to pull start it and manouver it into position on your back. Sometimes even using primer & choke it can take a few pulls to get it going. With the cordless, press the button and you're away. On it's highest setting it has a surprising amount of power too.

Again, horses for courses.
    If u mainly have large open jobs, get a backpack.
    If u mainly have small tight jobs, get a handheld.

Why not get both ?
    A good quality handheld will only set u back $130ish on Ebay.
    Or, buy the handheld first, then if you think u still require the backpack, buy that.
    You then have versatility, a back up, or if u find your not getting any use out of the h/held, a great Xmas present.
    Cheers Fred.

thanks for all the advice. The BR600 had sold by time I got there today after a messy clean up job :-( oh well I'll keep hunting around for something 2nd hand in good nick.

Agreed with Fred here. I have both, both Shindaiwa, they both serve their purposes. Not going to blow out a carpark with the handheld not am I going to blow hedge clippings off mulch with the backpack.
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

Hi Lawnmower Guy
    Check out http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-MTM-8...MAAOSw-CpYAC2K

Cheers
    hjl

interesting, I have never heard of MTM as a brand though? Maybe I don't get out enough?
    I do like the price and the claimed air velocity of 415 km/h

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post
    Again, horses for courses.
    If u mainly have large open jobs, get a backpack.
    If u mainly have small tight jobs, get a handheld.

Why not get both ?
    A good quality handheld will only set u back $130ish on Ebay.
    Or, buy the handheld first, then if you think u still require the backpack, buy that.
    You then have versatility, a back up, or if u find your not getting any use out of the h/held, a great Xmas present.
    Cheers Fred.
    Yeah i had the same thoughts as Fred..Start with small and see how it goes.If your thinking about Stihl brand just get the BG56 as it's the same motor as the 86 so you won't gain anything
    For me i could buy a back pack but none of my jobs need it..Will you ?

Some of the ebay brands may show good blowing power but until you compare it to a well known brand the difference is huge between them..so go Stihl,Makita,husky and Echo

good point Beetlejuice, until today my little Victa handheld blower pretty much did what I needed, not great but reliable.
    I did some work this morning on short notice (it was very windy which doesn't help) but essentially I did 3 &1/4 hours of edging and then walked around cleaning up with the Victa, all the time wishing I'd bitten the bullet and bought a 2nd hand BR600 or similar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast