Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting old but have so much work

Default Re: Getting old but have so much work

pretty much spot on the mark David...blessed with good health helps with this game....done most of your points and work no longer than 5 to 6 hrs a day ..but had to move away ( wanted to ) from my service area ..my new area is growing families etc but they wouldnt pay the rates my area does...besides down in my new area theres so much rain i see ride on mowers bogged daily lol .I do have to put in over one hour travelling each day ( 30 mins one way ) which has been a shock to me as for the last nearly 30 years my travelling time was a couple of mins...but travelling to work i seem to be more organised as i am not going home for a cuppa etc etc...
    My income is plentiful allowing us to live a great lifestyle as well as spoiling the grandkids ( now a couple of mins from where we live )
    Have a little super but no way would like to live on pension rates at the moment...so for the next ten years i need to develop a plan to keep going...have long genes in the family so that helps and i love going to work which is a bonus...i come across too many broken down lawnies that busted their butt because they were too cheap..
    A balance is important..retiring is fine if you have the income stream and if you have things to do...with my daughter we have started a small photograpghy business and has been a good little earner ,as we get better so will the return...but i really love doing this sh1t..
    I do admire anyone running a business and most of the people on here should be proud to run a business cutting grass....some people used to say to me anyone can cut grass or pull a weed and just smiled and said yep anyone can but can they make a good living out of it year after year...when i advised them and showed them my invoices they quickly shut up....
    I will find the solution , i am getting there slowly reducing the hours and maintaining the same annual turnover..geez i even got the seniors card,the rules are no more than 30 hours a week..i fit into that category..doesn't mentioned income..

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    .......geez i even got the seniors card,the rules are no more than 30 hours a week..i fit into that category..doesn't mentioned income..
    good on ya Geoff, looks like you are 'on track'
    30 work hrs/wk for seniors card? I though it used to be 'less than 35',

But with a Senior Card in hand you can go fishing anytime in Vic WITHOUT having to purchase a fishing licence

Even semi retired to me means being able to get away whenever and for how long I choose, just the damn grass kept growing which made that impossible so that is why I now only do a few casuals to keep in touch more so than the income (lucky to have other income sources from a venture that can be run efficiently by a couple of casuals without me holding their hands every day). Life unfortunately becomes too short it seems once we pass that 60 sign. Too many places to see and things to do, money isn't the end all you can always enjoy yourself without the big cash income. Although if it's what you enjoy no reason why you can't keep at it as long as physically able just keep track of time and when it's time to get out. Don't think the seniors card gets the fish for free in NSW though worse luck...

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    past 61 now and pretty fit with no physical problem all is good in that department...Doc says fit as a fiddle ...mmmm well i have so much work in all areas including a lot of hedging garden maintenance and mowing work... each day i have plenty of request for quotes but i am slowing a bit and maybe should get someone to help out..but ive tried a couple before and realise i m a buggar to work for because i dont stop..i like to work trough and get the job done but having an employee you have to give the legal benefits and if u get a subby you have to get them on the same page..
    i cant retire and i dont wont too because i do enjoy this life .. i cannot retire because my super isnt that great and having grandkids we spoil them heaps and love it..
    so the question is what do i do ??? have heaps of interest no debts but what do you do....its funny the more u earn the more you spend so i am not keen going back to a basic wage and probably have a few if not many years left doing this stuff...
    Would love to drive around in my ute supervising all thge jobs but as Daryl Kerrigan said in the movie the catle " tell him hes dreaming " well thats me .
    probably no solution but to keep going i guess ....
    gidday Geoff, I reckon you have sort of answered your own question at least partly. Hope you don't mind me putting in my 2 bobs worth. You don't want to retire because you enjoy the life but your a bit worried about super. Maybe focus on learning the ins and outs of super so that you are well informed about it and can make an educated decision. Its is easier said than done as there is so much jargon and snake oil salesman out there. There may be ways to bump up your super somehow or make sure your not getting ripped off. Some super funds charge way too many fees. Super is one of the most complicated topics due to the constant rule changes. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    gidday Geoff, I reckon you have sort of answered your own question at least partly. Hope you don't mind me putting in my 2 bobs worth. You don't want to retire because you enjoy the life but your a bit worried about super. Maybe focus on learning the ins and outs of super so that you are well informed about it and can make an educated decision. Its is easier said than done as there is so much jargon and snake oil salesman out there. There may be ways to bump up your super somehow or make sure your not getting ripped off. Some super funds charge way too many fees. Super is one of the most complicated topics due to the constant rule changes. Good luck.
    mate thanks for your advice..super is tricky being a baby boomer we do not have the luxury of our kids have ..so have to look at another angle ...work fcking harder lol lol naaa all will be ok..when you to that 60 plus you over think things i guess just wanted the younger guys that arein for the long haul to think about the retirement thing....getting the pension is ok and if no debts thats fine but when one of you kicks off that leaves a very below the basic wage...

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    Hi Geoff, I sold my business to retire and travel, well health got in the way and so we have been parked up at Parkes for 6 months now and before that at Wellington NSW.
    I have always wondered what I would have done if not sold up as the body was complaining about the amount of work. I have had time to sit and think about it and this is what I would do again
    1: Sell off all my pain the arse clients
    2: Advise the others that I will be continuing to service them as we know everyone talks.
    3: Invest in new gear to make life easier
    4: Don't take on anymore work unless one client drops out ( usually Nursing home or dies )
    5: Work my schedule so I work 7.30 am to 2pm and then have the rest of the day off.
    6: Work 5 days a week and only work weekends if I needed to catch up ( maybe only work 4 days dependent on number of clients )
    7: Still pass on CPI increases so we can live comfortably but not to any pensioner clients.
    8: Anyone else asks me to take them on pass them off to good reliable competitor or on commission
    9: Enjoy my extra time and take up knitting LOL
    You sorta sound like you're Dunmowin?

Yep I am but people seem to find out that I was a gardener/greenkeeper and ask me to do some work for them. Yep as long as it is cash and paid on the day or the next. No money no work, got better things to do, like sewing and knitting LOL. nah just a bit of fishing or playing with model aircraft, drones and helicopters.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    Yep I am but people seem to find out that I was a gardener/greenkeeper and ask me to do some work for them. Yep as long as it is cash and paid on the day or the next. No money no work, got better things to do, like sewing and knitting LOL. nah just a bit of fishing or playing with model aircraft, drones and helicopters.
    The fishing sounds like you are already on a winner to me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12