Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impact wrench size

Member NT

Default Impact wrench size

I want to buy a buy an air impact wrench and battery impact wrench for general servicing of equipment. Would like to know what size everyone is using ½” or ¾”? Going to learn how to do basic services now.

Default Re: Impact wrench size

I have the Bosch blue high torque 18v Impact wrench. 1/2 is what I use as it's easier to find 1/2 sockets than 3/4. Has no hassles with anything I throw at it with 650nm on tap. Little expensive though ...430 odd for skin alone. But no need for air gun at all, breaks the nuts on my Isuzu npr200 like butter
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

I have a Hitachi 18v 1/2" Impact gun, it will undo everything I have thrown at it so far, only time I had a problem once when I did not recharge the battery, wondered why it would not undo the blade bolts on my Hustler. It had 2 weeks before, DUH no charge in battery. I also have a 1/2 air impact gun but the Hitachi beats it hands down for torque. Same thing though the Hitachi cost me $350.00 plus another $130.00 for a spare battery and that was bought about 10 years ago.

I use an air one for the pushies and have a big 240v on for the gravely

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by bullant1 View Post
    I want to buy a buy an air impact wrench and battery impact wrench for general servicing of equipment. Would like to know what size everyone is using ½” or ¾”? Going to learn how to do basic services now.
    In general you usually only need the heavy 3/4" drive stuff for heavy machinery and farm stuff that is often badly rusted/seized. Eg socket size 25mm or more.
    Most important that you only use impact rated sockets (black) with impact drivers.
    Ordinary sockets will not take the stress and can shatter with nasty effects & injuries.

You might also consider an air ratchet wrench -- fast for doing up/undoing bolts/nuts, but not for 'breaking' a tight bolt as they can only generate about 60ft-lbs torque and it is transmitted to the operator, unlike a rattle gun.
    Also consider some ratchet (eg gearwrench brand) combination ring/open end spanners, they are a real time saver and often can get access to fasteners that are a real beast with other spanners.

Joe

I bought the Hitachi impact wrench skin for my existing cordless screwdriver. It 1/2 and seems to work fine. At home I have a air driven one again in 1/2
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Member NT

thank you for the responses this is just my first time servicing my gear, just don't want to buy the wrong size and then buy the correct size.

How much torque would you look for in a reasonable 18v impact wrench?

Just to change blades on ride ons, wheel nuts etc when out on the road.

I have a basic Makita so will go another as I have a few batteries, charger etc

This may be a bit overkill? https://sydneytools.com.au/makita-dt...FYSVvAodkiYGXw

Wanted to leave the old one in the other car for brother who does mostly resi mowing. It does the job but occcasionally when the blades have been on for a while it will not undo one.

I just use my ryobi impact driver to change blades and it works fine

that makita looks the goods, 3 settings would be good - nothing worse than not having the torque to crack wheel nuts

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post

This may be a bit overkill? https://sydneytools.com.au/makita-dt...FYSVvAodkiYGXw

Wanted to leave the old one in the other car for brother who does mostly resi mowing. It does the job but occcasionally when the blades have been on for a while it will not undo one.
    I've never used an impact wrench on my ztr blade bolts, but I think you'd have to be careful with that one. Even at the slowest speed it torques up to 229Nm. But you would probably get a feel for it after a while.
    My ztr's recommended blade bolt torques are 95Nm & 160Nm, so I was thinking this one would be good enough. https://sydneytools.com.au/makita-dt...ench-skin-only

I could be missing something, but it seems to be nice & light, short body, brushless 3 stage motor & ample power for blade bolts. It's not that often I hit a stump or anything to over-tighten the bolts. In that case I'd just get the breaker bar to undo it.

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    I've never used an impact wrench on my ztr blade bolts, but I think you'd have to be careful with that one. Even at the slowest speed it torques up to 229Nm. But you would probably get a feel for it after a while.
    My ztr's recommended blade bolt torques are 95Nm & 160Nm, so I was thinking this one would be good enough. https://sydneytools.com.au/makita-dt...ench-skin-only

I could be missing something, but it seems to be nice & light, short body, brushless 3 stage motor & ample power for blade bolts. It's not that often I hit a stump or anything to over-tighten the bolts. In that case I'd just get the breaker bar to undo it.
    Thanks Ed, my little Makita torques 175nm and that has been more than enough.
    Was just wanting something a little stronger when I need to get them off and sometimes it is hard to undo when the blades have been on for a while.
    I was thinking it could be a problem.

Need a second but don't want to go overkill. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    that makita looks the goods, 3 settings would be good - nothing worse than not having the torque to crack wheel nuts
    What makes me grumpy is tyre fitters who over tighten the effen wheel nuts. I always put a drop of oil on the thread so its easier to crack. Once i took the truck back to the tyre fitters it was on so tight. I thought ill let them snap it off rather than me.

I bought new wheels/tyres for the ute today, will have to make sure they're undoable

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post

Did you end up getting this one SEM? If so, how do you like it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast