Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: My first real oopsie

Default My first real oopsie

Using my tri-blade yesterday I hit a mains water pipe going into the little house I was working at. 16mm hard poly pipe going to the ground, above that was all copper. Easily fixed though, get a proper 16mm plumbing joiner, cut pipe and install joiner.

Best thing though, It was my inlaws place, and only cost about $15 to fix.

Why would they run poly to the ground and not copper into a elbow then poly? stupid I think.
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

Default Re: My first real oopsie

That sucks, at least it was at the in-law's place and not a customers I would shoot myself in the foot if it was at a customers.

At least it was only $15 to fix, you can write it off as tax deduction

Quote Originally Posted by djkgrounds View Post
    Why would they run poly to the ground and not copper into a elbow then poly? stupid I think.
    Doubt if copper would withstand a tri-blade either.
    In any case I reckon it's easier to fix poly than copper in most cases ....

Was trimming a knee high hedge last week all of a sudden water came rushing out of the hedge
    There was the water mains tap underneath
    Poped it on the council side
    Went told the owner, explained that i had no idea it was there and that was a silly place to put a hedge
    They rang council, lucky fixed it no charge
    ....Nothing like a good whipper....

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

Cut the top off a water meter once on a feral one off cut. No way would anyone have known it was there. Rang the client they fixed.
    Cut through a telephone line hidden in a overgrown hedge. impossible to see that it was there so rang india and explained my dilemma and fixed free of charge.
    But received a bill for a water meter that some ass hole busted in another town. He must have got my name and number off google and gave it to the water company. So I spent a lot of time proving it wasn't me.

Quote Originally Posted by Harwood's Lawn Care View Post

At least it was only $15 to fix, you can write it off as tax deduction
    Forgot to use my power pass bunnings card and the receipt got wet and couln't be saved.

First plumbing repair I have had to do, so a good learning experience. My irrigation knowledge came in handy lol
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867

Quote Originally Posted by simo View Post
    Was trimming a knee high hedge last week all of a sudden water came rushing out of the hedge
    There was the water mains tap underneath
    Poped it on the council side
    That was lucky it was on the council's side, do you find that type of conversation (accidents) gets easier?

I wonder if they planted the hedge there after the main was put in? It kind of reminds me of a facebook page not too long ago, pictures of house framing and concreting fails

[QUOTE= But received a bill for a water meter that some ass hole busted in another town. He must have got my name and number off google and gave it to the water company. So I spent a lot of time proving it wasn't me.[/QUOTE]

Just wow!! How could that happen, wow!

Quote Originally Posted by djkgrounds View Post
    Forgot to use my power pass bunnings card and the receipt got wet and couln't be saved.

First plumbing repair I have had to do, so a good learning experience. My irrigation knowledge came in handy lol
    Bummer on the receipt, it's good you gave it ago plumbers charge a fortune. Irrigation looks fun to do but one thing has me stumped!
    How do you get the poly under paths!!!! Do you just dig a hole under either side of the path? What about driveways?

How do you get the poly under paths!!!! Do you just dig a hole under either side of the path? What about driveways?
    One way is to 'drill' ... Get a piece/piecesof rigid (steel) pipe and connect hose to end.
    Possibly flatten the other end a bit to make a bit of a chisel point.
    Dig a 'work' (pot)hole on each side of path/drive, then with combination of twisting and using it like a crowbar with the water gently flowing, you can work / 'drill' your way under the path or obstacle.

Joe

So simple but so effective thanks Joe, I just seen something similar but as a sort of trencher using air here is a link https://youtu.be/P91OGvr0thk.
    Thanks again Joe.

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

Just wow!! How could that happen, wow!
    Easy. The water company just ask your name and number to send the bill to you. I'd say the prick had done this before.

So simple but so effective thanks Joe, I just seen something similar but as a sort of trencher using air here is a link https://youtu.be/P91OGvr0thk.
    Thanks again Joe.
    Forgot to add, after making 'tunnel', I reckon it's a good idea to install a piece of larger diam pipe as a conduit to put the irrigation pipe through. Makes mtce, possible replacement etc inthe future so much simpler.

I have not tried it, but reckon it should be possible to adapt/use a pressure washer to 'power' the do the work.
    Worth a try if you have an old one to play with. ... Eg I found one (el cheapo model) on hard waste that just needed a bit of tlc to get it going. Now use it for quick and dirty stuff rather than getting out the 'good one'.

Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by GardeningSolutions View Post
    Easy. The water company just ask your name and number to send the bill to you. I'd say the prick had done this before.
    Yea but you would have to be a pretty big piece of SHI* to do that to someone, what goes around comes around I guess.

Dig a large hole both sides of the path and blast a hole under using a pressure washer (minimum 2000psi). when you get about 30cm under use a 100mm poly pipe to blast through, this will help it blast out easier and allow the mud to flow down the pipe. When complete let it dry, put a length of 40mm wide piece of conduit under the path and back fill the the hole and run the irrigation poly through the conduit. It's messy work but usually can be done quick.

But very rarely I have done under path work.
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867