Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Walker 26hp EFI: hour meter says "oil" at 50, manual says at 100hrs??

Question Walker 26hp EFI: hour meter says "oil" at 50, manual says at 100hrs??

Hi all,

Just wondering what the go is with the Walker hour meters and oil change intervals... the new machine clocked over 50hrs and started indicating oil change time on the meter. The manual says that oil should be done at 100hr intervals (after the first 5hr break in oil change which I did). So what is the go, did they deliberately adjust the hour meter and forget to update the printed manual?? Or is the correct oil change interval actually 100 hours?

Cheers for any info!

Default Re: Walker 26hp EFI: hour meter says "oil" at 50, manual says at 100hrs??

Correct interval according to Kohler manual is 100 hrs, or more often in severe/dusty conditions.
    http://kohlerengines.com/onlinecatal..._590_32_EN.pdf

Maybe your dealer can re-program the alert?
    I change my Kawa & Vanguard @ 50 hrs anyway @ ~$15 a change.

Cool Re: Walker 26hp EFI: hour meter says "oil" at 50, manual says at 100hrs??

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    Correct interval according to Kohler manual is 100 hrs, or more often in severe/dusty conditions.
    http://kohlerengines.com/onlinecatal..._590_32_EN.pdf

Maybe your dealer can re-program the alert?
    I change my Kawa & Vanguard @ 50 hrs anyway @ ~$15 a change.
    Oil is cheap compared to replacing worn out metal 

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

Default Re: Walker 26hp EFI: hour meter says "oil" at 50, manual says at 100hrs??

Quote Originally Posted by seliment View Post
    Oil is cheap compared to replacing worn out metal 
    Yep. Oil change at 50hrs. Oil filter every 100hrs.

Brand new machine Conrad , how awesome , what deck are you running?

From memory my Walker is every 50 hours. That is what I was told when I bought it anyway

Yes all of my mowers used to have the oil changed every 50hrs and any with filters, changed filter at 100hrs.

Ok cheers guys - I guess the manuals are written for the U.S. market, they don't have quite the same dusty conditions that we work in. And true, oil is cheap!

NLALM - got it with the 42" multi deck. I had a 42" GHS deck on the old one, I kind of do miss that as the multi deck doesn't leave quite as good finish on the lawns and you don't get the same type of natural stripe pattern. Also have to plan the mowing route a bit better as there's extra hardware on the right side of the multi deck that is prone to catch and scrape where it's a lot easier to handle the round edge of a GHS deck around obstacles, but you get used to it. I've actually been thinking of swapping it with a GHS deck and just adding the same type of Walker block off plate to the back of the deck... I was actually quite happy to "mulch" with the GHS deck (just disengage the blower and mow). I much prefer to use and sharpen the plain bar blades. Plus a set of those multi deck blades costs a packet!

Took the chute off mine, got sick if it snagging, leave the RHS chute baffle on all the time and either mulch or catch very rarely side discharge any more.
    Replace catching blades rarely replace the mulching blades.
    Made a blade sharpener the other day, check out Yellow Hornet Mower Blade Sharpener on YouTube, nocked one up in a couple of hours works well, still got the cut in my finger where I ran it up the blade to see how sharp it was.