Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Walker Multi-Deck Performance - thinking of going back to GHS deck...

Default Walker Multi-Deck Performance - thinking of going back to GHS deck...

Who else runs a Multi-Deck? I only have about 65 hours on this machine/deck and I'm thinking of going back to the GHS deck, not too impressed with this one.

Yeah it has the blockoff plate, easy to install and remove and it let's you mulch and switch back to catching without clearing the chute etc., but it just doesn't get the same natural stripe when mowing and the vacuum is nowhere near as good as the GHS decks. To be expected as it's a compromise with the different blade rotation... but to be honest I have gone just as well disabling the blower and "mulching" (let the chute block up) when I had the GHS deck. Even when catching with the Multi you can't mow at full speed or it leaves grass behind. I did have that issue on maybe 1 or 2 lawns with the GHS, but it happens much easier on the Multi.

The dual stacked blade setup is a bit of a pain as well, much preferred the old bar blade. Not too much to be gained from this blade setup based on my experiences. Easier to sharpen the bar blade and balancing... can't really balance the Multi blades, probably keeping the weight of each blade the same is as close as you can get.

What do you guys think? Am I being too picky? I don't think so... that's the whole reason I have a Walker, to get the top quality finish!

Thinking I will sell the Multi-Deck and buy a new or used GHS deck. What would you look for in buying a used deck BTW? Obviously gearboxes, wear on the underside of the deck etc. but does it get to a point where you would just pass on any deck that has done x amount of hours?

Default Re: Walker Multi-Deck Performance - thinking of going back to GHS deck...

Quote Originally Posted by conrad View Post
    Who else runs a Multi-Deck? I only have about 65 hours on this machine/deck and I'm thinking of going back to the GHS deck, not too impressed with this one.

Yeah it has the blockoff plate, easy to install and remove and it let's you mulch and switch back to catching without clearing the chute etc., but it just doesn't get the same natural stripe when mowing and the vacuum is nowhere near as good as the GHS decks. To be expected as it's a compromise with the different blade rotation... but to be honest I have gone just as well disabling the blower and "mulching" (let the chute block up) when I had the GHS deck. Even when catching with the Multi you can't mow at full speed or it leaves grass behind. I did have that issue on maybe 1 or 2 lawns with the GHS, but it happens much easier on the Multi.

The dual stacked blade setup is a bit of a pain as well, much preferred the old bar blade. Not too much to be gained from this blade setup based on my experiences. Easier to sharpen the bar blade and balancing... can't really balance the Multi blades, probably keeping the weight of each blade the same is as close as you can get.

What do you guys think? Am I being too picky? I don't think so... that's the whole reason I have a Walker, to get the top quality finish!

Thinking I will sell the Multi-Deck and buy a new or used GHS deck. What would you look for in buying a used deck BTW? Obviously gearboxes, wear on the underside of the deck etc. but does it get to a point where you would just pass on any deck that has done x amount of hours?
    That's what I would think. Paying top dollar for a great machine to be able to get clients who want that excellent finish.

Gotta be happy with the end result so you can't be asking yourself if clients will notice or be happy with the result.
    May just have to dig deeper into those pockets!!

Default Re: Walker Multi-Deck Performance - thinking of going back to GHS deck...

Funny thing is if I went with the GHS deck from new I would have saved myself $2k! haha
    That's alright, have to try these things for yourself... Figure if I can sell the Multi even if I had to buy a new GHS i should break even.

Also has anyone tried the mulching decks? The ones that have no chute opening, no side discharge, just a closed in dedicated mulching deck?

Conrad, sorry to hijack your thread, but i tried to PM you a while back to see how your going with the husky electric whipper snipper. Did you buy it and is it any good? Any issues etc.

Conrad , this time last year I was looking to buy a model MT and I wanted a multi deck, only from what I had heard from the dealer, I did drive 26hp machine fitted with a multi deck but I only cut a small area and the grass was very dry so it looked alright to me. This machine was second hand and the deck was worn out, it had a high dump which didn't close properly so I didn't buy it.
    I got so frustrated that I couldn't find a good second hand ghs machine that I bought an MB brand new, With a side discharge / mulch deck.I haven't seen the new mulch decks in person on walkers website, I don't know if they even bring them out here. My deck mulches very well it runs the cross blade set up, but I still wish I had bought an MT I would use it on so many more jobs, that have to be collected.

I think the collection deck works so well that its hard to have anything else. After what you have said about the multi deck I may not get one if I am upgrading. Have you seen the mulch plug you can buy for the ghs deck ? A guy on gumtree sells them, I think he is in Sydney could be worth it if you get a new deck. If I lived near you I would lend you my deck for a day to see what your thoughts were on the finish. Sorry not much help , but they are still a great mower.

Yeah there's nothing wrong with the multi deck, just that GHS decks give a better finish to my eye. And mulching is ok as well, looks good. Actually I just did an accidental mulch mow yesterday - I always collect on this job but forgot to engage the blower, didn't even realise as I was mowing or when I had finished, only at the end of the day when I went to empty the catcher! haha.

But having said that I used to mulch mow on the GHS deck by just doing the same thing, disengage the blower and let the chute block up. And I don't know if I'm imagining it but I would swear that the mulch finish is exactly the same between the two. And it looks like there are now gator blades available for Walkers so I would just go that way with the mulch plug on the GHS deck.

Sorry about the PM - I think we caught up with each other now? Altho I have to take that Husky trimmer to the shop soon as it's doing a weird "stutter" when using the trigger and sometimes doesn't get to full speed... annoying but that's why they've got a 3 year warranty I guess!