Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Masport sp with Kawasaki engine

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Default Re: New Masport sp with Kawasaki engine

dont get me wrong about these mowers , I think the biggest problem with the weight is if you are trying to use it in tight spacers or smaller lawns but i did get through the lawns I did today in record time. Although I did hit a gate in 2nd gear and ripped some timber off it. The mower just kept going due to the gearbox being a bit of an animal team that up with the tread on the tyres.
    I actually thought this is like trying to use a ride on but walking behind , sorry being pulled behind it.

Dry weight of the honda HRU216M is 54kg, Masport is listed as 60kg for the Kawasaki and 56kg for the Briggs engine which i assume is also dry weights.

Quote Originally Posted by Cranbourne Lawnmowing View Post
    I just bought one of these mowers today . They are a beast of a mower but extremely heavy. Supposedly 40kgs but I think that is not including the dry weight of the engine which is 17kg. Gear box is so strong that i cannot hold the mower when engaged. I dont like the engage handle , i think it should be a lever type on either one side or smaller and on the inside middle of the handle bar as its not easy to control this mower in tight spaces and is too heavy to move around without the drive. Chute is a good enough size but Im not sure how well it will work in damp or wet conditions as it is very long and seems like a far distance the clippings will have to travel from the start of the chute to the catcher.
    Cant give too much info as far as specks or if Masport are onto a winner yet as its going to take a bit of getting use to this machine.
    Online, it's listed as 60kg for the Kawasaki engine and 56kg for the Briggs engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cranbourne Lawnmowing View Post
    dont get me wrong about these mowers , I think the biggest problem with the weight is if you are trying to use it in tight spacers or smaller lawns but i did get through the lawns I did today in record time. Although I did hit a gate in 2nd gear and ripped some timber off it. The mower just kept going due to the gearbox being a bit of an animal team that up with the tread on the tyres.
    I actually thought this is like trying to use a ride on but walking behind , sorry being pulled behind it.
    sounds like my kind of mower - l like em quick

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Starting to love this beast. Knocking so much time off on my lawns. Just hope it wears well and I'm not haveing to constantly fix/repair parts within a couple of months.

with that size Kawasaki engine your will be fine mate..top gear looks like you bolt along a bit..too quick for an old fcker like me lol....seriously a tough looking machine and with the commercial warranty they look the goods.My only concern is the weight and starting to know the conditions around your area its gunna be tough in the winter...though i guess you just use the lighter mower when conditions are bad...looks like your on a winner....hows the back shute and the gearbox placement ????

Still waiting ......
    Starting to wonder if I get one if it will take as long for parts when I need them
    ....Nothing like a good whipper....

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    with that size Kawasaki engine your will be fine mate..top gear looks like you bolt along a bit..too quick for an old fcker like me lol....seriously a tough looking machine and with the commercial warranty they look the goods.My only concern is the weight and starting to know the conditions around your area its gunna be tough in the winter...though i guess you just use the lighter mower when conditions are bad...looks like your on a winner....hows the back shute and the gearbox placement ????
    Yep, saw one in my local shop. Looks a beast. Just a bit heavy for my needs at the moment. Keep us updated though as I am sure many people will be looking forward to a good self drive

OK. So far no problem except I was organising blades and carriers for the mower yesterday and turns out that the ga spares for it are just a tad shorter which I don't think is a major problem . What I do have a problem with is that the blades are pressed the wrong way like the last time I had a masport and tried GA spares. They seriously need to lift their game. Anyway decided to order the blades from masport and my mower mechanic is going off. Turns out that he was told we have none in stock. He cracked it. Next thing , oh sorry we do have them. Will be interesting to see how long it takes for them to turn up?
    I've got 3 blade carriers , 1 on the new mower and 2 from an old mower which is great. Same carriers so can have new, sharpened and blades on the machine . Quick change over and rotate.

Picked mine up yesterday
    Used it all day today..initial worry was the weight but was getting used to it by the days end certainly a bicep builder ..it rolls really well no friction at all and the gearbox is really smooth..my main winge is the catcher hangs too low and was constantly kicking it which was annoying so there will be some modding to rectify that...
    Mowed 6 lawns on one tank and there could have been one more ..which is twice the amount to Honda
    It's dam fast it was either 3rd gear half revs or 2nd gear full revs for a brisk walk ..3rd gear full revs was very fast walk almost a jog
    Cuts well but did leave a few light semi circles here an there probably due to the heavy weight
    Very tough machine well built and seems it will last probably wear me out first
    Mulch plug a bit fiddley to put in mulches well
    Over all I'd give it 8/10 having owned new and old hondas and rover self propelled mowers
    ....Nothing like a good whipper....

Something to think about with the KAWASAKI FJ180 engines spare parts are hard to source and expensive...just got a price on a new carby from Mowers Galore $261.95.

get them from USA for less than half that

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Which engine would be better and sourcing parts/working on as im looking for a backup sp mower

Quote Originally Posted by wattoo View Post
    Which engine would be better and sourcing parts/working on as im looking for a backup sp mower
    Honda216M2, For about $500 I keep my own spares, 1 x gearbox, 4 x catcher bags, full set of cables, 4x cable springs, 2 sets of wheels, 6 air filters and a new carby.

briggs or kawa, def briggs for parts availability

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast