Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: air filter maintenance & mod

Default air filter maintenance & mod

pulled the air filter out of the gravely (kawa fx481 engine) and was freaked out by the amount of dust in the relatively new filter - they recommend changing every 250 hrs, this has maybe 25 hrs on it. I blew the equivalent of the simpson desert out of it with the compressor and decided to try wrapping a piece of chux superwipe around it....ended up doing it to the cox engine too and servicing everything else (was relatively cool in the shed)

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Default Re: air filter maintenance & mod

I join a couple of zip clips and wrap them around them clips that hold the end cap on. I've had branches flick them open and you could lose the cap.
    You can remove them easily without unzipping at service time.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    pulled the air filter out of the gravely (kawa fx481 engine) and was freaked out by the amount of dust in the relatively new filter - they recommend changing every 250 hrs, this has maybe 25 hrs on it. I blew the equivalent of the simpson desert out of it with the compressor and decided to try wrapping a piece of chux superwipe around it....ended up doing it to the cox engine too and servicing everything else (was relatively cool in the shed)

Have you considered if the "Chux" filter will change the air/fuel mixture much? Or if it gets clogged more easily? It may need checking more frequently with the Chux on it.

When we ran the model cars we used to go to Clarks rubber and get some foam rap or around the filter then cut it to suze the stitch it up with needle and thread

yeah, that's the go Greenie....will have to track some down

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

In dusty conditions you need to blow out the filter every week. Yes change the filter at 250 hrs but its been so dry down there. I used to get in the habit of blowing out all airfilters every Friday arvo with a couple of cold ones to wash the dust down or Saturday morning. Adding other material into the filter area will more than likely raise your fuel consumption. I would just stick to cleaning weekly.