Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Small Ride on Mower (Not ZTR)

Question Small Ride on Mower (Not ZTR)

Hi Guys,

I will be selling my Dixon 34in ZTR because my brother does not have many hours use on ZTR's and it can be tricky to handle with some of the jobs he needs to use in on when working solo.

We will be looking for a good reliable (under 42 inch) ride on that will only be used lightly.

It needs to be reasonable quality and probably light commercial would be ideal.

For the guys that use traditional ride ons in their business what do you use, why, cost, pros & cons etc.

It would ideally be reasonably easy to use, maintain, safer than a narrow wheel base ZTR, and be able to do smaller maintained properties up to maybe 1500sq metres when needed.

Default Re: Small Ride on Mower (Not ZTR)

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    Hi Guys,

I will be selling my Dixon 34in ZTR because my brother does not have many hours use on ZTR's and it can be tricky to handle with some of the jobs he needs to use in on when working solo.

We will be looking for a good reliable (under 42 inch) ride on that will only be used lightly.

For the guys that use traditional ride ons in their business what do you use, why, cost, pros & cons etc.

It would ideally be reasonably easy to use, maintain, safer than a narrow wheel base ZTR, and be able to do smaller maintained properties up to maybe 1500sq metres when needed.
    Cox 32" hydro why because its the best.

Greenfield..aussie made and are awesome.

cox or greenfield (my cox is my best friend )

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

My Greenfield was 32yrs old when the original motor finally died on it. Cant beat the quality and strength of them, The new ones have Diff Lock giving tighter turning circles than the older ones. I regret selling mine now, I should have put a new motor on it and kept it.
    (I did put a new seat on after this pic was taken)

IMG_20130515_151030.jpgIMG_20130515_151021.jpg
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

Lot of fellas here using Cow Lawn boss.

Hi Guys,

Keep in mind that as far as Cox goes, the new cox lawn boss are cheaper and don't seem to be built strong as the old green ones. To go with a similar build to the old ones you need to look at the stockman (red ones). I did a quick review somewhere else on the stockman.

What Macka said.
    If I did not have an injury to my right knee I would be using a Cox hydro.
    One of my mates here has used one commercially for 4 years with nothing spent on it other than blades and oil changes. Way to go.
    Cheers
    hjl

Hi Guys,

Is there anything up around 42 or 44 inch?

cox do a 38" machine

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by hjl View Post
    What Macka said.
    If I did not have an injury to my right knee I would be using a Cox hydro.
    One of my mates here has used one commercially for 4 years with nothing spent on it other than blades and oil changes. Way to go.
    Cheers
    hjl
    So does anyone have experience with the newer ones?
    It would need to be the 38 inch or the stockman 4500

The older version of the cox were simple hard as nails , just change blades and the drive cone ( cheatp as )....would make sure the newer cox has the drive cone because its so simple.......i had a 30 in and did me years and years

I believe the Stockman 4500 can be had in a 42 inch cut. I would get the hydro model.
    Cheers
    hjl

Quote Originally Posted by hjl View Post
    I believe the Stockman 4500 can be had in a 42 inch cut. I would get the hydro model.
    Cheers
    hjl
    That stockman 4500 from memory has very different dimensions to the 38 inch. Its bigger and not only the deck. Almost a different machine. I have the specs somewhere.