Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: TPE mower with GXV160 - mowing, mowing, mowing... then won't start?

Default TPE mower with GXV160 - mowing, mowing, mowing... then won't start?

Hi all,

This machine is a bit of a backup mower, really only used when I need to catch lawn clippings so it hasn't had all that much use. Anyway I was mowing last Wednesday before Debbie made her way down the coast, it was only showering but I had a bunch of couch lawns to mow so that was a nightmare in the wet. I would have stopped and started the mower about 50+ times that day to clear blockages. On the last of those times it didn't start again.

I had a non-starting problem previously after putting the mower up/down stairs the wrong way and got the filter all oiled up, air filter looks fine this time. The spark plug lead is fairly short so I put a bolt in there so I could check if it's sparking across the gap to the engine, couldn't see anything. Maybe I should get a spark plug tester to remove all doubt surrounding my dodgy test procedures. Haha

I had the ignition switch go on me a few times as well so they eventually replaced it with a genuine Honda item, looks fine to me and the switch isn't getting stuck.

Not too sure what else I should try... I notice a reasonably strong fuel smell out of the exhaust when trying to start it so I'm guessing that's a good thing (it's getting fuel).

Are there any issues specific to these engines? Anyone have some ideas?

Cheers,

Conrad

Default Re: TPE mower with GXV160 - mowing, mowing, mowing... then won't start?

def shouldn't be fuel smells from the muffler lol, l think you've got fuel throughout where it shouldn't be - pull out the spark plug and pull the starter a dozen times (see if fuel seems to be spraying out in a mist at first) then replace and (assuming you have spark) try again........l hate hondas

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Haha oh boy. Pulled the plug out and it didn't seem to be spraying fuel out, although it's an awkward angle to see because you need to stand behind to pull the cord but stand in front to get a good look at the front of the engine. I'm not game to put my tongue on the plug to test if it's got spark. Might just buy a spark tester.... tempted to just run off to the shop with it, but want to fix this myself for once!

I thought Hondas were the bees knees??

Quote Originally Posted by conrad View Post
    urban myth.......................

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by conrad View Post
    Haha oh boy. Pulled the plug out and it didn't seem to be spraying fuel out, although it's an awkward angle to see because you need to stand behind to pull the cord but stand in front to get a good look at the front of the engine. I'm not game to put my tongue on the plug to test if it's got spark. Might just buy a spark tester.... tempted to just run off to the shop with it, but want to fix this myself for once!

I used to remove the plug, put the lead back on it and earth the plug against the engine, pull the cord, and look for an arc. Then I'd usually be happy for a while thinking I was pretty smart until I realised I was no closer to fixing the problem. Good luck.