Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: replacement engine for Honda HRU197d

Default replacement engine for Honda HRU197d

Hi People,

I've had a 2nd hand (at least 5 years old when I got it) Honda HRU197d since I started back in Oct last year, I've loved how it worked without complaint and just cut stuff. All I've done is change the blades and oil.
    Now the HRU197 is blowing black smoke and has a noticeable drop in power even when it throttles up. I clean the filter every few jobs as I was concerned it wasn't getting enough air (hence the black smoke).

Anyway I think the motor needs replacing. Local lawnmower shop have been in touch with Honda (and this process took a while). They don't have the 180cc motors anymore but have a GXV160 and it will need a blade kit too.
    I really don't want a GXV160 because I'm pretty sure it's a smaller motor.

If you have bolted on a replacement motor to a HRU197d and you have advice I'd really appreciate it. I'm not wedded to Honda (I have a small Brigs & Stratton I use occasionaly) so I'd be happy with a different engine provided it bolted onto the deck and the blade carrier/plate would screw straight on.

I really don't want to buy a whole new mower (with all the bells & whistles I don't want/need)
    Image of my much loved HRU197d below.

Best regards

Robert

my HRU197d.jpg

Default Re: replacement engine for Honda HRU197d

It's a basic Honda deck, it'll take the gxv160 motor with no problems. Your motor has a cam belt, the gxv160 is overhead valve. I think the gxv160 is a stronger motor. The blade from the old motor should be interchangeable. What's the new motor cost? For a few dollars more I think you can pick up a TPE mower or something similar, which use the old style Honda chassis.

a GXV160 should bolt on but the lawnmower shop told me I'd also need a blade kit because the existing bolt which secures the blade carrying disk (if that's what you call it) is different, it may be a stronger motor but it's smaller in size?
    I've found a store in SA which reckons they can get a replacement GSV190 and they reckon it will fit the deck (I think most Honda motors should at least bolt on) but I have to double check if the blade disk with screw straight on. I am also worried about the height.
    New GXV160 plus blade kit (to account for different blade boss or something) = around $605.
    New GSV190 from SA = $475 but haven't got a cost for shipping it to Melbourne yet.

All fun and games... not.
    Thanks for the advice on the TPE mowers, will google that now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower Guy View Post
    Hi People,

I've had a 2nd hand (at least 5 years old when I got it) Honda HRU197d since I started back in Oct last year, I've loved how it worked without complaint and just cut stuff. All I've done is change the blades and oil.
    Now the HRU197 is blowing black smoke and has a noticeable drop in power even when it throttles up. I clean the filter every few jobs as I was concerned it wasn't getting enough air (hence the black smoke).

Anyway I think the motor needs replacing. Local lawnmower shop have been in touch with Honda (and this process took a while). They don't have the 180cc motors anymore but have a GXV160 and it will need a blade kit too.
    I really don't want a GXV160 because I'm pretty sure it's a smaller motor.

If you have bolted on a replacement motor to a HRU197d and you have advice I'd really appreciate it. I'm not wedded to Honda (I have a small Brigs & Stratton I use occasionaly) so I'd be happy with a different engine provided it bolted onto the deck and the blade carrier/plate would screw straight on.

I really don't want to buy a whole new mower (with all the bells & whistles I don't want/need)
    Image of my much loved HRU197d below.

Best regards

Robert

my HRU197d.jpg
    You sure the engine is stufffed? Could the choke be stuck on or something like that. Sounds like its running rich. I know when I accidently engage the choke on my Cox ride on it spits and farts and carries on and loses power. Does it carry on when the engine is cold?

Hi Steveo, I had thought maybe the carby is not behaving because it's black smoke (I was cleaning the filter in the hope it was the culprit) however I've noticed a decline in power and motor is fairly old.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi Lawnmower Guy
    Will a 850 briggs fit your mower frame?
    I don't like the GSV 190 or 160 honda motors.
    Then there is the Chondas that you can get off ebay.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321221293...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    I replaced a honda GSV 160 on a Big Bob mower (different I know) with one of these and like it a lot better.
    Just something to think about.
    Cheers
    hjl

Hi HJL,

re: B&S I suppose that's something I can chase up, I'd be surprised if it didn't bolt onto the frame but the tricky bit would be knowing if I can screw the blade carrier/disk onto the shaft coming out of the engine & if it's the right length?
    I'm not mechanically minded, I was hoping someone one the forum had done something similar.
    Whatever I end up doing, win/lose I'll post it on here.

Good idea about posting the results. Thats how all of us can learn.
    Cheers
    hjl

Very Helpful Member

pretty sure the GSV 190 has a 7/8th (22.2mm) shaft and the GXV has a 1"(25.4mm)shaft so if buying another engine look for something with a 7/8th shaft width and the boss should fit also i think it's a pretty standard 70mm length
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Hi Ian,

thank you, that's very valuable information.