Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Hourly rate increase

Default Re: Hourly rate increase

There great; I got 6 fresh scones last week in a container and paper dolly. Another gives me freezing cold bottled Aldi water prior and again after finishing and a frozen water icy pole And Paid right there as Geoff said. No follow up invoices. They are loyal and respectful towards us. Others give the sugary soft drinks.

Seniors Card that means you work less than 35 Hrs, we’ll done. I’m 60 late this year so a Seniors card too I must apply for. I’m winding back just a little unless the global trade war against the US flares up and I’m convinced it will . Then I’ll have to wind up again.
    Cheers Garry

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    There great; I got 6 fresh scones last week in a container and paper dolly. Another gives me freezing cold bottled Aldi water prior and again after finishing and a frozen water icy pole And Paid right there as Geoff said. No follow up invoices. They are loyal and respectful towards us. Others give the sugary soft drinks.

Seniors Card that means you work less than 35 Hrs, we’ll done. I’m 60 late this year so a Seniors card too I must apply for. I’m winding back just a little unless the global trade war against the US flares up and I’m convinced it will . Then I’ll have to wind up again.
    And tasty, not like some of the c**p you get in the local bakery

If I wanted to pay myself to cover super, holidays, insurance, vehicle costs, machinery/servicing, stationery, phone, fertiliser, wetting agent, herbicides, internet, work clothes/shoes, accounting, AND SAVE SOME MONEY, I'd charge $90 p/h.

At the moment I can't pay myself any super or holidays and charge $55 to $70p/h for gardening or mowing. Mowing is the better earner. $90 an hour is were I'm working to.

Quote Originally Posted by Blair View Post
    If I wanted to pay myself to cover super, holidays, insurance, vehicle costs, machinery/servicing, stationery, phone, fertiliser, wetting agent, herbicides, internet, work clothes/shoes, accounting, AND SAVE SOME MONEY, I'd charge $90 p/h.

At the moment I can't pay myself any super or holidays and charge $55 to $70p/h for gardening or mowing. Mowing is the better earner. $90 an hour is were I'm working to.
    Working towards some quality successful commercial clients in your mix who take pride in there street presentation as it reflects their brand/family businesses. Will assist with your target earnings and provide consistant year round work. Not the commercial client type who has an Alsatian dog running around a fenced perimeter and weeds growing up fence calling you twice a year.
    Plus the ones that pay you within 2 weeks and not hold onto invoices for months. There out there, but if you get them, look after them to the max as they will also boost your income not only yearly, but across the slow winter.They provide extra random work as they can own other investments that one doesn't initially know about.

Purchase your expense items at the cheapest best rate and it won't be Bunnings for Herbicides, fertilsers, gloves, cord, boots, oil, etc, etc. Example, I buy Synthetic 2Stroke oil at a third of the price of the Mowing/Bunnings shop dealers ask. So I might buy a year or two's worth in one hit when found dirt cheap.
    Small lessor example, When coles have there $1-2 deals between major retail events gloves cloth weave and rubber impregnated gloves, provided there Ok, fit good, etc, I'll buy heaps. Usually buy the woman size as they fit tighter on the hand for me. Plus I get staff discount on them there, store the purchased bulk quantity away from sunlight/heat and they will last till the last glove is used.
    Buy 450 Roundup equivalent in 20ltr at end of financial year sales late June from Ag dealers for under $100 per drum, thats when you buy enough to over lap each year. A couple of years ago they were $75, so I got a few extra - compare that to Bunnings.
    It all adds up in the end towards increasing profit and less running around time getting things and helps with hourly rate profit/expense mix.
    Cheers Garry

You know what they say Gaz.

Small hands, small ................................ gloves

Cheers Fred.

Bugger, got me.. unless its small feet yo mean..

Actually converting to some gear to battery and with another battery purchase coming soon has me carrying way to much Syn Oil now.
    Cheers Garry

you are smart contractor...I an several other contractors i know charge at least 90 ( plus get ) and get much much more depending on the job and have heaps of work....Of course you have to provide the quality service to match the price but i am sure you do....the volume cheap guys may do ok but check their work ....they will wear out ....

When I look at my costs and try to factor in replacement for a car and equipment it looks like $90 would be ok. Good to get more though! Look at costs averaged out over 48 weeks with 6 hours of work per day and come to a rate with that being factored in too. This starts allowing for 4 weeks off annually (with no income) with money in the bank for it.
    Out there giving it my best shot

Thanks for the tips, good advice and positive thoughts.

I reckon in a couple of years I can get my $90 plus an hour as I build up an A class client base and get rid of the others.

I just want to ask, do I need to get a ride on to reach my highest earning capacity? I'd prefer not to because it means a new trailer set up and a good ride on.

Thanks for the tips, good advice and positive thoughts.

I reckon in a couple of years I can get my $90 plus an hour as I build up an A class client base and get rid of the others.

I just want to ask, do I need to get a ride on to reach my highest earning capacity? I'd prefer not to because it means a new trailer set up and a good ride on.
    You can certainly get a high rate with a ride on. You also have to pay heaps more than your standard gardening gear.
    But you can also get a high rate by finding a niche in your area, being good at what you do and work out how to get it done quickly and to the highest standard

Quote Originally Posted by Cut'n Ya Grass View Post
    When I look at my costs and try to factor in replacement for a car and equipment it looks like $90 would be ok. Good to get more though! Look at costs averaged out over 48 weeks with 6 hours of work per day and come to a rate with that being factored in too. This starts allowing for 4 weeks off annually (with no income) with money in the bank for it.
    Once you get into it a bit start calculating things like: Do it over a month. You may be surprised.

Quoting time after work etc, paperwork time at home, equipment maintenance at home, equipment maintenance on the job - such as sharpening chains on chainsaws,
    OH&S compliance paperwork, etc etc

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

Saw a 17yr old on a Buy Sell Swap site offering $15hr gardening and was inundated with comments for work. Where's his insurance, whs, superannuation, holidaypay, sickpay? The list goes on.
    Yeah good on him for being proactive and getting on with working, but talk about putting unrealistic expectations on hourly rates out there. Felt like commenting on the post but thought better of it.

Seen a AD for lawn mowing locally with these pictures showing the end result in workmanship at cheap rates.Got the mower,bent shaft victa and electric blower.
    Attached Images Attached Images

he'll be offering franchise opportunities before you know it BJ......

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

awesome edges ............is that a little geny to run the blower

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456