Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hourly rate increase

Default Re: Hourly rate increase

Sensible contribution jd. It is hard to disagree with any of that
    Out there giving it my best shot

Chris, I had one of those days today! Only two hours of work but 4 hours quoting. On the positive side of this I did get 4 new jobs. This, in turn, means other days with more work and less quotes

Quote Originally Posted by jd View Post
    As usual, I tend to agree with Ian.
    If i was starting out i would go on the low side just to get work and it sure beats sitting at home. But your rate just depends on so many variables. Particularly where you live in Australia (country/city). Your financial position; we're all at different stages of our lives.
    I used to always quote on jobs but some days i find it hard to get my head around working out the quote so i'll just give a rate of $60. If it looks to be a couple of hour job i might quote. If the customer seems genuine, it looks a good job and is nearby, you can always say 'try me out for an hour at $60 '. Most people will say fine, keep going.

But if you've been in the game for a while, chances are you know your territory. I'm not going to tell you are wasting your time and should be charging $80. If your patch is $45/hour, that's what it is.
    Spot on jd, if it works for you and you are comfortable with that just do it! Don't tell all the Ol B******s on the forum tho or we will both be shaking in our boots

haha that's good mate!
    really, quoting is working anyway .. so we have to allow for that - especially since you've just started... gonna be plenty of quotes!
    soon you'll start wondering how you'll fit them in!

Quote Originally Posted by Cut'n Ya Grass View Post
    Chris, I had one of those days today! Only two hours of work but 4 hours quoting. On the positive side of this I did get 4 new jobs. This, in turn, means other days with more work and less quotes

my theory is charge what you wish 30/40/60 or be 100 p/hr who cares.....so long as you are happy with that..go cheap and bring this industry down to a unsustanble level I dont care.... charge cheap rates thats fine you will not survive....newbies can start low and =build up but many on here are low price high volume and if that works that ok but when i see the so called experienced operators charging cheap rates i just ...i dont care lol...value your occupation its a business not just a school boy mowing lawns ,,anyone can mow a lawn but can they make 150k a year for a single operator ...get pro charge good rates and yes doesn't matter what area or competition you can sell you worth...any way have a crack at that '''''

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    my theory is charge what you wish 30/40/60 or be 100 p/hr who cares.....so long as you are happy with that..go cheap and bring this industry down to a unsustanble level I dont care.... charge cheap rates thats fine you will not survive....newbies can start low and =build up but many on here are low price high volume and if that works that ok but when i see the so called experienced operators charging cheap rates i just ...i dont care lol...value your occupation its a business not just a school boy mowing lawns ,,anyone can mow a lawn but can they make 150k a year for a single operator ...get pro charge good rates and yes doesn't matter what area or competition you can sell you worth...any way have a crack at that '''''
    Is your turn over 150k ? how much is take home out of that ?

my turn over is not 150k but there are not too many material costs in that..break down would be drawings 65 to 70 % the rest running costs gst etc ....definitely not me but i know an operator uses those break down figures and their turn over was 220k las t year ..then again she charges 110 per hour ......now that would be a good mrs to have lol

my turn over is not 150k but there are not too many material costs in that..break down would be drawings 65 to 70 % the rest running costs gst etc ....definitely not me but i know an operator uses those break down figures and their turn over was 220k las t year ..then again she charges 110 per hour ......now that would be a good mrs to have lol
    Geoff, I can tell you that I am working at charging much higher rates already (after one month) of business. We will see how it goes? After all, this is our livelihood and we are worthy of enjoying a good one!

Geoff, I can tell you that I am working at charging much higher rates already (after one month) of business. We will see how it goes? After all, this is our livelihood and we are worthy of enjoying a good one!
    well done..about time there are contractors that see it as a business and not making a wage ..onya mate

Same here! I put my rates up to $40 +GST and I am still busy! 6 days week & no time to scratch myself. May try to squeeze another $5 per hr to see if that slows the quoting down

yep thats what pretty much what I thought you would charge lol you are what we call a volume man johnny....

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    Same here! I put my rates up to $40 +GST and I am still busy! 6 days week & no time to scratch myself. May try to squeeze another $5 per hr to see if that slows the quoting down
    Hope your giving pensioner concession with those rates and stamping there card for a free mow after 6 lawns.
    Cheers Garry

the number of times over all these 30 years " do give pensioner rates " lol gotta love the oldies ( i myself hold a seniors card lol ) one thing the aways pay CASH and always ontime..love em to bits

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    Hope your giving pensioner concession with those rates and stamping there card for a free mow after 6 lawns.
    Yeah, but only when I get my cuppa and scones with cream n jam!

the number of times over all these 30 years " do give pensioner rates " lol gotta love the oldies ( i myself hold a seniors card lol ) one thing the aways pay CASH and always ontime..love em to bits
    The report the government got on "cash economy" said we could get rid of $100 & probably even $50 notes. Some countries have done 1 higher note in 12 months. Take them to the bank by a due date or they all then becomes valueless.
    After they do the those 2 it's only a matter of time before you gotta accept credit card & EFT Geoff!

Now that will get the cowboys out of the industry. Unless they become true "beer bobs" and start bartering. And thats the time we get back into Bitcoin etc

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast