Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Honda SP for mulching

Default What Honda SP for mulching

Looking at buying a Honda brand SP with the twin blade technology,how good is it at mulching.
    Noticed on some youtube vids showing a big gap between top and bottom blade and makes me think on not so high grass (reg lawns) only the bottom blade would be working ?
    Just not sure buying this type of design is it going to be a good mulching mower,please let me know what you guys think

Default Re: What Honda SP for mulching

Can't help you re the cutting technology/mulching question because i haven't done any work with one but from playing around with them in the shop they feel heavy. They'd be a buggar up and down steps and i presume would sink into soggy lawns. I'm not sure they are the best option out there atm. Be interested also to here from guys/girls running them.

i was leaning towards the HRX217 NeXite chassis,which should be light unit overall

The hrx217 mulches a lot better than the 216's in my experience. The only hassle is the versimow system, which you slide across with lever to mulch, can get a little stuck sometimes if you haven't mulched for a while. A bit of grass seems to get stuck in there.

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    i was leaning towards the HRX217 NeXite chassis,which should be light unit overall
    They mulch fantastic....I would hardly describe them as light though
    I spend most of my money on beer and horses, I just waste the rest....

http://www.sterlinggardenservices.com/

A few jobs i'm required to give a low cut,is it possible with this 217 or does the chassis drag along the ground

Tried 4 mower shops and non kept the 217 in stock for me to have a look at,one shop said most contractors have swung over to different brands and not buying the Honda's like they use too.He mentioned he's had the new 3 speed gear boxes coming in broken under warranty and seen the neXide decks with holes from stones and said you want one i'll have it here within a week if you want.He went on to say go for a rover push (B04T) high wheeler or victa if your going to mulch with it.
    now re thinking where to go next

the best honda mulcher is the victa mulchmaster

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    Tried 4 mower shops and non kept the 217 in stock for me to have a look at,one shop said most contractors have swung over to different brands and not buying the Honda's like they use too.He mentioned he's had the new 3 speed gear boxes coming in broken under warranty and seen the neXide decks with holes from stones and said you want one i'll have it here within a week if you want.He went on to say go for a rover push (B04T) high wheeler or victa if your going to mulch with it.
    now re thinking where to go next
    I'm surprised about holes in the deck. All my Hru216's ended up with holes in the deck but not my Hrx's. I found the nexite deck held up quite well. The only thing that's broken is the mulch plug that has a few bits broken off so some grass gets through when mulching.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    the best honda mulcher is the victa mulchmaster
    I agree. I'm going to give my honest review on the mulchmaster on the weekend. But if you are wanting a mulch mower, I would buy this mower over the 217

Mark,

Looking forward to reading your review, please included blades used re-experience ie raked/flat edge or with the raked worn off. RPM too. Thanks

For those who have the GSV 190 mounted on one, I've had an experience over the hot summer giving me grief re over heating.
    Cheers Garry

That being after doing some big jobs in very going heavy going that I was visiting fortnightly.
    It would stall/splutter and only run on full choke at next to zero power close to the end of the job, on every visit.
    Two visits to the dealer had Carby clean and 5 instead of 6 plug heat range put in. Had new ignition coil put in as it felt like an intermitted over heating break down to me and I was getting annoyed with lost time.
    Well I sat down in the shed and thought it out in my head. It was the muffler, the baffle in muffler is like a short pipe and the rear of the muffler has disintegrated and the raw combustion heat was being transferred directly back onto the cylinder head over heating the motor.
    No one picked up the black exhaust on the cylinder head behind the muffler. all my other Honda's are GXV160's so wasn't aware the muffler craps itself at the rear.
    Cheers Garry

as Red eye said, I have used all of the mowers above.
    and the best mulching mower is the vista mulchmaster hands down.! very light and i throw mine in everything if its too long to mulch it can side throw pretty good also..!!

Welcome back Garry....

Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post
    Welcome back Garry....
    Thanks, I knew it would be one of your Mulchmaster 560 posts that would tempt me in. Luv mine to the max.
    I'm off Sat 20th in the morning with the Jayco and misses with a Hilux more than half full of firewood headed for the mountains beside a river for 11 days. (Pub next door too)
    But will be tuned here in to read your full report, now that's pressure for Ya!!
    Cheers Garry

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast