Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Honda SP for mulching

Default Re: What Honda SP for mulching

Boats.net
    Ok i'll give these guys a test run,which blades do i order
    http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ho...r/0/parts.html

I had gone to do a fortnightly job today where the grass (kik) at the units had been neglected and this was my 4th visit to date.One area was thick from the beginning and i used the line trimmer in getting it down on my first visit as i knew the mower would struggle.
    Second and third visit was mulching using a 6hp mower but couldn't cut it too low as it was still thick and had a fair amount dead clippings in it from my previous times.

Today was the first time for the new Honda HRX and in i went at max revs but a slower forward speed got in a few meters and next had smoke pouring out of the machine,it was coming thru the gap where the mulch adjuster gap is.
    First i thought is was steam as i've had that before on other jobs when the grass is moist,switched it of and had a look under the deck.
    What had happened was the blades picked up some of the dead grass and it jammed between the upper and lower blades then slid sideways with centrifugal force and jammed up against the side of the deck and stopped the blades spinning while the motor was still running at full revs.

Cleaned it out got started again and 30 seconds later same thing.I adjusted the deck height higher and got some cut just to leave some reasonable finnish.
    This is my first experience with a Honda clutch and had no idea something like this would happen,must of taken the clutch shoes down a bit.Besides this small hiccup the machine is a worthwhile purchase.

Your Blade clutch might need adjusting. If I load my deck up too much, the motor will stall before the clutch slips.

I should have used past tense there because as of yesterday mine is dead.

I was doing a nice easy mow of a vacant house that I'd done about 10 times before. Was nearly finished, and BANG. The blades disengaged & motor was vibrating badly.
    I had a full day ahead of me so didn't look much apart from checking I didn't leave a sump full of oil on the lawn.

When the dealer told me I had hit something hard and bent the crankshaft, I didn't believe him. When I got the mower back today, it's obvious that's what happened. But I'll have to go back to the house and have a good look. I'd mowed it so many times before at the same height, and that day I went back with the mulchmaster and finished the job with no problems.
    It hasn't thrown the object out when it hit because there's no damage to the plastic deck.
    IMG_20170601_162045rs.jpg IMG_20170601_162055rs.jpg

Only found 2 issues with these mowers
    1.Rear height adjusters are difficult to adjust,they got some strong springs compared to the front which are easy to adjust.
    2.When mulching the clippings gather in the chute and sit there until the blades stop spinning,then those clippings usually fall out across the driveway
    Everything else so far so good

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

I run mulching only mowers and they've all had wet grass accumulate under the deck. Never a issue with dry grass. I make it a habit to stop the engine near a garden bed or similar, drop the front wheels so the grass falls off and I can disperse it with the blower. Nice clean driveway.

HRX Honda is a bit different as they have the chute plug halfway up the length of the chute,and the clippings can rest inside that area loose and when they drop out it's loose like the clippings out of a bag and there is a fair amount sitting in there

Here is my second HRX,this one is belt drive not Hydrostatic fluid
    Just got the motor back after having a new crank fitted.The key was meant to snap but it didn't and i decided to fit a Rover 4 blade disc as pictured to make sure it doesn't happen again,i'll know more what sort of mulching mower it is next week.

I got a question..if i recall someone here saying the Rover-Honda blades are exchangeable,what i'd like to do is run a drop down blade to run a little closer to the ground any info if that's possible would be appreciated
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Helpful Member

I think I'm using Honda stepped blades on my rover 560 I think they maybe the shorter 196/197 blades I'm not positive as I don't use it very often, if I remember I will get it out tomorrow and have a look,also blades look a bit loose you could try getting a box of esselte #8 rubber bands and place one between the spring washer and blade this will allow you to tighten the blades after the spring washer has lost it's spring and still allow them to swing back if they hit something solid
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    I got a question..if i recall someone here saying the Rover-Honda blades are exchangeable,what i'd like to do is run a drop down blade to run a little closer to the ground any info if that's possible would be appreciated
    I think some were using Honda blades on the Rover 560 a while back. That prob won't help you though as it is a 22" deck V 21" honda.

I'm using Honda blades on my Rover 950. It's 21", but it has a different disc than the one you have fitted to your honda.

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    I think I'm using Honda stepped blades on my rover 560 I think they maybe the shorter 196/197 blades I'm not positive as I don't use it very often, if I remember I will get it out tomorrow and have a look,also blades look a bit loose you could try getting a box of esselte #8 rubber bands and place one between the spring washer and blade this will allow you to tighten the blades after the spring washer has lost it's spring and still allow them to swing back if they hit something solid
    Ian you posted about the rubber bands years ago now, its something I do often as if you take a blade off you cant get it tight again , but the rubber band fixes this .
    So its a bit late but thanks mate , great tip

If you are using Honda blades on a Rover what's the result when one has a 13mm hole and the other has a 16mm hole in the blade

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    I think some were using Honda blades on the Rover 560 a while back. That prob won't help you though as it is a 22" deck V 21" honda.

I'm using Honda blades on my Rover 950. It's 21", but it has a different disc than the one you have fitted to your honda.
    Thanks Ed,The bar blade on the HRX is only twenty and halve inch so i'm struggling to find blades the right size and having step down isn't helping

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

I once grafted a Honda engine onto a MTD mulching chassis so also had to use the Honda cutting disc.
    Standard blades didn't fit the space, so I bored new holes in the disc and filed them out to fit the blade nuts. Worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by GardeningSolutions View Post
    I once grafted a Honda engine onto a MTD mulching chassis so also had to use the Honda cutting disc.
    Standard blades didn't fit the space, so I bored new holes in the disc and filed them out to fit the blade nuts. Worked well.
    Great idea,i checked it out today and yes that will work..

Here is my other HRX which has a clutch and bar blade replaced with disc
    Now i'm getting a better mulching outcome but the blades aren't close enough to the ground and this idea will get scraped on this model
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast