Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: What lawn seed?

Default What lawn seed?

I have a commercial client asking for their current lawn (mixture of kikuyu and what ever) to be rejuvenated at this time of the year????
    The grass is looking worn but still growing.
    Any ideas on what to offer them?
    I was thinking kikuyu seed and topsoil.
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Default Re: What lawn seed?

I would not be seeding at this stage,too cold and not enough sun to germinate.Wait till spring

i'm minding some new lawn atm, clients seeded with what was supposed to be kik seed....it's 100% rye so far

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Rye grass will germinate. Kik probably won't. We usually patch in kikuyu in the warmer months. We top dress it with chicken manure after we spread seed. The ecolawn spreader makes it easy. You could maybe use blended soil.

kikuyu is a warm growing season goes dormant coming into winter.planter runners and fertilize in spring and top dress

If the grass is looking worn, and in need of a rejuvenation, you have to go further than just throwing fertiliser , seed and top dressing. You need to aerate the soil. You can hire a coring machine but make sure it is a coring machine that pulls plugs as against a scarifyer machine which just rips and thins out the lawn. You need to go deeper. The lawn is tired for a reason. The ground has compacted and become water phobic, that is the water just runs off it. Give it a good coring by running over in several directions. Leave the cores on the lawn for a week or two but in the meantime use a fertiliser from your local farm supply dealer. The fert will fall down the holes and fert the grass roots. Mow over the cores to break them up and use that as a top dressing and hole filler and also bring in some additional top dressing. Top coring times are autumn and spring, along with Scarifying in spring.seed where there are bare patches. You wont believe the difference you'll get in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by bellarinelawns View Post
    If the grass is looking worn, and in need of a rejuvenation, you have to go further than just throwing fertiliser , seed and top dressing. You need to aerate the soil. You can hire a coring machine but make sure it is a coring machine that pulls plugs as against a scarifyer machine which just rips and thins out the lawn. You need to go deeper. The lawn is tired for a reason. The ground has compacted and become water phobic, that is the water just runs off it. Give it a good coring by running over in several directions. Leave the cores on the lawn for a week or two but in the meantime use a fertiliser from your local farm supply dealer. The fert will fall down the holes and fert the grass roots. Mow over the cores to break them up and use that as a top dressing and hole filler and also bring in some additional top dressing. Top coring times are autumn and spring, along with Scarifying in spring.seed where there are bare patches. You wont believe the difference you'll get in a few weeks.
    times two on that...many lawns this time last year did that..i hired a coring machine that did just that pull plugs out..spring summer they were great lawns ..great input ..i have again booked the coring machine for heaps of lawns again this year ...

I guess it depends on what they are willing to spend. Have you asked? Whats being suggested is all good but do they want to spend the money on it? Being Kikuyu if you waited till the warmer weather, cut it at the right height and you were lucky enough for it to rain every now and again it would basically rejuvenate itself. Fertilise it over spring and maybe again over summer if weather permits, treat any weeds/grubs if needed and bang you'll have a pretty good looking lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Steve View Post
    I guess it depends on what they are willing to spend. Have you asked? Whats being suggested is all good but do they want to spend the money on it? Being Kikuyu if you waited till the warmer weather, cut it at the right height and you were lucky enough for it to rain every now and again it would basically rejuvenate itself. Fertilise it over spring and maybe again over summer if weather permits, treat any weeds/grubs if needed and bang you'll have a pretty good looking lawn.
    Wow, I'm banging my head on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by bellarinelawns View Post
    Wow, I'm banging my head on the floor.
    Nice response and Why is that??? Coring is all well and good but not all clients are willing to stump up the cash for it to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    i'm minding some new lawn atm, clients seeded with what was supposed to be kik seed....it's 100% rye so far
    Depends on where they got the seed. Same thing happended with one of my clients a few years ago with Kikuyu seed from Bunnings. When I had a look at the box it was 95% Rye and 5% Kik yet they marketed it as Kik
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by imoww View Post
    I have a commercial client asking for their current lawn (mixture of kikuyu and what ever) to be rejuvenated at this time of the year????
    This was the original question!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Depends on where they got the seed. Same thing happended with one of my clients a few years ago with Kikuyu seed from Bunnings. When I had a look at the box it was 95% Rye and 5% Kik yet they marketed it as Kik
    Not the first to be caught on that one (( :

For anyone needing seed go to a turf supplies place or farming shop, much better seed quality, and you can buy 100% of the seed you want, none of this 95%/5% nonsense.

In my area we are usually trying to stop Kikuyu rather than start it. Never had trouble growing it around here. Couch different story.

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imoww View Post
    Because of the time of year all I'd be recommending is aerating/ coring the turf and get some air into the rootzone.
    Maybe some gypsum if the soil is heavy clay.
    I'd only push scarifying, reseeding, top dressing mid spring if you feel the customer is open to the expense of it.