Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sore Shoulder and Blower Usage

Hybrid View

Default Sore Shoulder and Blower Usage

Guys/Gals,
    I've been off the forum for some 14 months posting wise and thought I would share a health issue that has just about disappeared during that time of absence.

I've been doing this Mowing thing for 7yrs professionally, business took off immediately and have been working and still am working me backside off and loving it.

A few years back started to get a very sore nagging right shoulder that was bothering me a little, especially on a couple of my near all day regular bigger jobs.
    The niggling shoulder had me buy an extra new 323L ultra light Husky Whipper as a spare for the future when I found out they were being deleted with the replacement being 400 odd gram heavier. But did get a heavier Husky 525LST 2wks back due to wearing out the first purchased 323L.

But the story is more focused below.
    I was using several Husky 125B type blowers that vibrate vigorously in the hand and are hard on arm for longer big blowing jobs, ie road/carparks, plus some large seasonal Autumn leave job I have.
    Two things changed at EOFY 2015 on 1st July.
    I bought a Sthil BR600 Back Pack being the 1st Backpack blower I've had and a Husky no vibrate 525BX contractor hand blower. Have a Br700 Blower now since destroying my BR600 using the wrong fuel during a long hot day brain fade.

But with the Br600-700 being used far more than I ever ever expected, even use the "V8" BR700 to blow rain/cold fronts back to Adelaide if they threaten my working day. (Ha Hah).
    Plus the no vibrate hand held and less use of a hand held, I seriously don't have a shoulder problem any more. I put it down to the Blower upgrades as I often work across 7 days a week with me weekend commercial stuff.

It got me thinking to post this after BeetleJuice was posting about a possible Backpack purchase.
    Cheers Garry

Default Re: Sore Shoulder and Blower Usage

Should have posted in the "Health & Well being at Work" part of forum.
    Cheers Garry

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

The new generation equipment with vibration control is the way to go. I also had shoulder, elbow issues until I started working smarter and spending the extra on the lighter, powerful, minimal vibrating equipment. You're using this gear all day, best to do it right.

yes backpacks are the way to go, no weight on you arm at all.

Hey Gazza. I've also been AWOL from the forum for a couple of years. Had a few personal issues. I started around the same time as you. I did the hard yards early on. But over probably the last 2 or 3 years, the right shoulder has got progressively worse. I've had to cut down my work significantly because of it. I put it down to some of the crap machines I was using early on. Particularly brush-cutters that didn't want to start...especially towards the end of their lifespan. Pulling the cord is when I feel it the most. I have to kind of do it without using the shoulder much. Playing the last 3 seasons of cricket probably didn't help at my age either....oh and a couple of old rugby injuries

Anyway It actually got so bad had to drink my beer left handed. I couldn't do any hedge trimming or anything like that. And forget about digging. The pain was pretty much constant. I ended up having scans and stuff. Turns out I have bursitis, tendinitis, tensinovitus and a whole heap of inflammation and fluid etc. Had a couple of cortisone shots which helped a bit. But apparently physio is the way to go. Bad timing though. The winter apocalypse has arrived and work has ground to a halt. It's good that the shoulder gets a rest. But not much fun otherwise.
    Last edited by fairdinkum; 08-06-2017 at 09:37 PM. Reason: typo

Jason Forrest
    Fair Dinkum Lawn & Garden Care
    Servicing St Clair, Erskine Park, Colyton, South St Marys
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

Just a tip probably try to aim for at least one day off a week two if you can earn enough over 5 days. Gives the body a chance to recover. The longer in the game you are the worse these things will get. Bung shoulders, knees, hips, stress fractures in your feet, circulation problems in extremities due to the vibrations from your machines. Potential cancer risks from exposure to fumes, toxic overload from sprays/chemicals. Think ahead just cause you feel good now doesn't mean it will last. Talk to any lawnie/gardener that's done 20 years plus they'll paint a picture for you. One day off a week for sure, two if you can afford to is even better.

Good advice SS, and each year I say I'm gona wind back a little then I check MYOB reports and it shows another better than last year scenario or at least equal too.
    But I enjoy what we do even in 35-43 Deg Jan-Feb, lost a little weight this year so Motorcycle leather daks and jacket fit better.
    I've said it before in previous posts I can finish up mowing immediately and be comfortable till 6ft under thanks to old career. But really enjoy hooking up the trailer everyday and doing my best for each customer giving me a purpose.
    But I'm committed to wind back a little this season and have a few extra days here / there mid week off as my weekend commercials earn so much more than residential stuff.
    Don't do hedges for new customers anymore, only for existing regulars, Don't know how Fred keeps going on them huge length and Jack in Beanstalk height ones.

Found another thing giving me grief on shoulders being huge Ride-on jobs with constant steering wheel turns after a couple hours.
    But I'm convinced the removal of the vibrating cheap Husky handhelds has solved the shoulder issue. Along with the backpack blower reducing blowing time on one very regular job from 1.5hrs to 35 minutes with no vibration. Followed by the refusal to hedge for random call jobs off the like we took on in the first 5-6yrs.

After working for 33 yrs under fluorescent lighting wearing a white shirt and black daks. Working outdoors is so grouse, but after doing a 8cm long head opening gash to the skull across the top of my head back in 2011. Caused by the inside adjusting lock bolts from a lift out full height side toolbox opening lid. I'm very focused on safety even more than before.
    Cheers Garry

Jason,

Struff, having to drink a stubbie with left hand, sounds like your shoulder was/is very bad re the posted info on it.
    I've always steered away from cortisone as my shoulder wasn't bad enough to go that path in my way of thinking, my wife said get a cortisone before the new better blower purchases. I used to manage close to two hundred people and had a major role in OH&S amongst other things. Saw many staff on W/comp who became reliant on the cortisone treatment for over 50 yrs olds. For me I've had no Doctor for the past 50+yrs and have only been to a doctor for the mentioned head gash and outpatients for grit in eyes with summer dust
    Which brings me to mention the engine braked 216 mower is the best thing since sliced bread for eye protection and grit down the shirt front when emptying the catcher.
    So you guys reading this stuff and thinking about entering this lifestyle the engine braked 216 is the go IMO.
    Cheers Garry

Re cortisone i've always felt like superman when on it, price to be paid though if you over do it.

I have significantly changed what I do. I rarely do any hedging now. Found that was knocking me around big time. Rarely do garden clean ups or badly overgrown stuff. Don't do gutter or rubbish removal anymore. I now focus on small quick to do lawns and the way they are building more houses on blocks where one existed helps with this. Do a few poisoning only jobs at commercial sites

I dont even tow a trailer anymore. Everything is on the ute. Dont carry heaps of gear. Don't need to. Have got most of my clients with green bins and those that dont I manage to get it in someone elses somewhere during the day.

I program a day off each week but will use it for one off jobs if I feel like it. I dont work in the extreme heat. Get an early start and finish by midday or 1 o'clock. Dont work in the rain just catch up. Don't work weekends because I do other stuff. In winter I may not start till 9

By having the majority of small jobs you can go hard and get a lot done particularly if they are close together. This type of work seems to be working for me. I have maintained my cashflow and it is far less hard on the body. Takes a bit of time to get the clients but its worth it in my book
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I have significantly changed what I do. I rarely do any hedging now. Found that was knocking me around big time. Rarely do garden clean ups or badly overgrown stuff. Don't do gutter or rubbish removal anymore. I now focus on small quick to do lawns and the way they are building more houses on blocks where one existed helps with this. Do a few poisoning only jobs at commercial sites

I dont even tow a trailer anymore. Everything is on the ute. Dont carry heaps of gear. Don't need to. Have got most of my clients with green bins and those that dont I manage to get it in someone elses somewhere during the day.

I program a day off each week but will use it for one off jobs if I feel like it. I dont work in the extreme heat. Get an early start and finish by midday or 1 o'clock. Dont work in the rain just catch up. Don't work weekends because I do other stuff. In winter I may not start till 9

By having the majority of small jobs you can go hard and get a lot done particularly if they are close together. This type of work seems to be working for me. I have maintained my cashflow and it is far less hard on the body. Takes a bit of time to get the clients but its worth it in my book
    Same here! I still do hedging but pick what I want to do and use and will soon buy the Stihl gear.
    Buying up big with some commercial mowers to get me on my ar.. a little more.
    The resi stuff is pretty much run by other members of the family now

I'd love to do the same as you said much easier on the body but around my area unless you are cheap you wont be asked to do just the lawn. Here they hate running one contractor to do the lawns and another to do the garden, they want the one contractor to do it all, hedging, spraying, weeding the lot. Drop your mowing by 20 to 30 % off the going rate and you'll get just mowing jobs but try to get what its worth and you'll get the chop in no time. I guess some suburbs you'd get away with it. Just a heads up though backing yourself in just to do the lawns leaves you exposed when the dry periods come again.

Excellent post Bluey, excellent !
    I really need to wake up to myself.
    One day into a 3 day hedge at the moment & hating the thought of the next 2 days.
    My own fault though as I was looking to create somewhat of a niche business, which I did.
    Now we don't employ anymore, & Im on my pat with the years mounting, things need to change.

Both of our vehicles are trailer less & have been for a while now, its def the way to go with the option of hooking up a trailer if necessary.
    Happy to go down the garden maintenance route as its as easy on the body as just mowing with more interest/job satisfaction.
    Still happy to do the odd hedge but, thanx for giving me something to really think about.

Silly thing is I can make just as much with G/maintenance as Hedging

Wake up to yourself Fred !

The hedging stuff you do Fred should be earning you much more than maintenance work, i've seen your photos. That's dangerous/hard work and you should be paid double the going maintenance rate if not more. And like you said less competition.

good stuff bluey ...what works for you is great and everyone has a different set up..like you i run only a ute the trailer is for towing the ride on....i do think though garden maintenance is such a good earner,maintenance to either commercial or residential can be very rewarding both financially and pleasure with little effort....its taken me 30 years to get a round with little effort and good earns and i do admire Fred hedging work as there no way know i would do the heights he does..he should be rewarded at lest 3 times the going rate lol ...
    it appears customers are so different for each locations have one area that pays super well then another area you have to prepare the customer for whats comping up....commercials in my zone are the best as you do not have to deal with anyone and as long as the joint looks great they leave you alone....
    The old story that keeps pounding in my head day in day out " WORK SMARTER NOT HARDER " i am 62 this year and have a few more years left in me so its critical i get good dollars for little effort...not easy though as times are starting to toughen up ,,AGAIN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast