Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Stihl battery power

Default Re: Stihl battery power

Thanx Chris, could you give us a first impressions review in a week
    or so ?

Cheers Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    Even noticed the Stihl & Victa mowers have similarities with the Ego.

Picked up an RMA510 yesterday... feels so light compared to a heavy petrol self propelled. Works well, nice n quiet. If buying for home use I wouldn't hesitate... they also have a new 19 inch version in their consumer range.

No chance I would only use battery mowers for business though!
    Even if I just kept all my regular jobs and never did an overgrown lawn.... no way
    I love battery gear but using a battery mower for most jobs will only slow me down.
    I bought the 510 mainly just to use on small jobs like nature strips etc so should be okay for that.

The FSA130r is another story....
    Hi Chris,

i have been using Ego 21in SP mower in the last few months and mowed overgrown grass with it. Been very happy. I believe RMA510 is only 19in and push.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post
    or so ?

Cheers Fred.
    Will do, or if you're ever in the west, you're welcome to demo mine

Quote Originally Posted by jal2007 View Post
    Hi Chris,

i have been using Ego 21in SP mower in the last few months and mowed overgrown grass with it. Been very happy. I believe RMA510 is only 19in and push.

Hi,
    I'm sure it can mow overgrown grass... just feel that not as quick as petrol yet... but I'll give it a try!

The RMA460 is 19 push
    The 510 is 21 and push. I think it has comparable power to the ego - 1100 or 1200 watt motor I think and 3200 rpms (2800 on eco mode)

Im jealous that it doesn't have self propelled though

Has your battery/ inverter/ solar setup saved you from having to take batteries inside at the end of day to charge?

I've been told that It won't provide enough power for me unless I'm driving several hours per day or have a heap of solar panels... especially now I have a backpack battery too

Has your battery/ inverter/ solar setup saved you from having to take batteries inside at the end of day to charge?

I've been told that It won't provide enough power for me unless I'm driving several hours per day or have a heap of solar panels... especially now I have a backpack battery too
    so far i only used it once (emergency only since forgot to recharge batt) due to have plenty of batteries.
    it wont have enough power to juice 2 or 3 batteries

so far i only used it once (emergency only since forgot to recharge batt) due to have plenty of batteries.
    it wont have enough power to juice 2 or 3 batteries
    Do you mean you've only charged from the vehicle once? Or only had to take inside once?

only charged once when I forgot to charge the batteries

Okay I'll keep charging inside instead lol

Okay I'll keep charging inside instead lol
    i use the inverter mainly for emergency only

Noticed AEG have a new battery backpack sprayer out.... I recently picked up a heap of their new brushless power tools (not garden) and they are awesome. .. so grabbed the sprayer. It's comfortable and seems well made. Has an adjustable flow rate dial. .. high is way to much flow for reg spraying. Low is better (but still too high I think) and while on low setting it makes a loud annoying whining sound even when trigger is released and pump not operating!
    Sounds exactly the same as the Swagman sprayer - I don't think there's a way around it, simply due to the way the pump operates it will have that constant noise on low pressure setting. But I agree with low still being a bit too high, I save the Swagman for when I want to cover a lot of ground fast with glyphosate - hopefully adding a boom will help reduce the pressure more and let me use it on lawns.

for line trimmer the balance is very good. thats why i said its better than FSA90 which tend to more weight at the front.

Im pretty sure that HLA65 is lighter due to the battery size.

Pole saw bit OK not so impressed.

the whippy, Its counter clockwise direction now same as the petrol one. The motor is 2000W

Hi Jal, Im alittle puzzled.
    Ive been on the pole chainsaw quite a bit lately, its been great.
    The extensions give you even more advantage.
    Have you had probs with yours ?

Cheers Fred.

Hi Jal, Im alittle puzzled.
    Ive been on the pole chainsaw quite a bit lately, its been great.
    The extensions give you even more advantage.
    Have you had probs with yours ?

Cheers Fred.
    I thought this is about Ego Pole Saw. just the bar is short 10in instead of 12" or 14"

Finally had a chance to play with the FSA 130 R at the Qld Garden Show - nice to finally see a line trimmer with full width line as standard. They said it will take up to 2.7mm line - proper pro gear. But having said that i’ve Been using the Husky with full line width thanks to a different guard and up to 2.7mm line when needed, but having it come as stock in that spec is definitely a step in the right direction.

One of the guys also said that they are releasing a multi tool based on the same model/system. Has anyone else heard about that?

I’m still not sold on the shaft drive idea, less power waste and lighter weight tools with direct-drive motor... but time will tell I guess.

The FSA 130 was initially very awkward to use having to flick the power selector switch, then the safety trigger on top of the handle before actually hitting the trigger. 3 buttons/switches to get the tool working compared to the usual 2... makes it quite tricky when switching from trimming to edging (horizontal to vertical). Probably would find a way to work with it tho.

Is anyone using the FSA 130 already??

or so ?

Cheers Fred.
    No go lol
    Used it for a couple of jobs... then ended up selling to a mate with a spare battery and charger for half the retail price. It will be great for him to use at home

The motor is actually pretty powerful and it didn't show any signs off bogging down when I used it. The biggest issue I found which applies to all battery mowers is the airflow.... the low blade speeds they have compared to petrol mowers produce way less suction
    With all the leaves and stuff on lawns the past few months.... the mower just doesn't suck it up well enough.

Another issue with most battery mowers is they may not cut low enough for some as the blades are up higher in the deck

Anyway I don't have time to muck around so it's gone

One area I think battery mowers may work well in is mulching ... as less airflow will result in less deck packing... but I don't mulch.... Catch or discharge I find way faster

I also got rid of the sweeper
    Would actually be good if it had a massive collection bin... but it's only about 50 litres.. so best for small debris... I knew that one wasn't going to work out but was hoping it would lol

Quote Originally Posted by conrad View Post
    Sounds exactly the same as the Swagman sprayer - I don't think there's a way around it, simply due to the way the pump operates it will have that constant noise on low pressure setting. But I agree with low still being a bit too high, I save the Swagman for when I want to cover a lot of ground fast with glyphosate - hopefully adding a boom will help reduce the pressure more and let me use it on lawns.
    Honestly just not good enough as I've had a cheap 50 litre sprayer from eBay on my toro previously and it didn't have any of those issues

Finally had a chance to play with the FSA 130 R at the Qld Garden Show - nice to finally see a line trimmer with full width line as standard. They said it will take up to 2.7mm line - proper pro gear. But having said that i’ve Been using the Husky with full line width thanks to a different guard and up to 2.7mm line when needed, but having it come as stock in that spec is definitely a step in the right direction.

One of the guys also said that they are releasing a multi tool based on the same model/system. Has anyone else heard about that?

I’m still not sold on the shaft drive idea, less power waste and lighter weight tools with direct-drive motor... but time will tell I guess.

The FSA 130 was initially very awkward to use having to flick the power selector switch, then the safety trigger on top of the handle before actually hitting the trigger. 3 buttons/switches to get the tool working compared to the usual 2... makes it quite tricky when switching from trimming to edging (horizontal to vertical). Probably would find a way to work with it tho.

Is anyone using the FSA 130 already??
    Check my review couple pages back lol
    That power selector switch is an extra step but you only need to press once and as long as your palm remains on trigger then it stays on. I think it is probably sensible to have an extra safety switch as the motor has a big whack of instant torque lol
    I wish that power selector switch was a seperate manual type as sometimes I'm using level 3 then bump it and it goes straight to level one which is annoying... then you have to push up twice to get back to 3

Personally cant see point of multi tool version as I would find using a hedge trimmer or pole saw with a cord hanging out back connected to battery pack annoying

Anyway just get one..... It's light years apart from the fsa90 or the husky... the only real issues I have with it is that you need a battery connected by cable... the machine itself is almost perfect

I've sold my last km130 so that's how committed I am

I'm all battery except mowers, ztr, backpack blower and ONLY because they are better and faster
    I'll be getting a petrol clearing saw just to have all bases covered on massive block slashing jobs though... fsa130 can do almost as quick as km130r but will burn through a heap of battery... did a residential size block and smashed the backpack battery in about 45 mins lol

Regular trimming will get hours of runtime

I was just going to use a flat file, but yeah Dremel would be heaps quicker. I wasn't overly impressed with the sharpening job the shop did either - looked like they took too much off the underside of the blade, it had clearly been filed/ground on an angle instead of flat to just take the burrs off. Might have a play this arvo.

Taking off half the blade... definitely not normal! Unless each tooth had some serious damage and that's what was needed to get it back to a straight cutting edge..?

That idea of 2 separate cables would work - whatever you can do to minimise downtime!

Edit > Cheers Redeye, just saw your vid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    l did this one a few years back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkPUPUL7J2Y
    I stumbled across this video and now know why some hedge trimmer blades teeth are half gone lol
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB1C8YdTKQs

Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast