Thread: Stihl battery power

Default Re: Stihl battery power

Quote Originally Posted by 4 Gardens View Post
    Great job, looks awesome
    That's not me

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb2Icaoj...monkey_genadek

Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post
    That looks really good... I'm actually thinking of getting the loop handle version and using my existing batteries with a battery belt
    https://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Produ...tery-Belt.aspx

I'm sceptical of the claim it's as powerful as the fs250 though??? .... but if it is, I'll ditch my kombi130 and get a proper backpack battery!

Also even thinking of getting the battery sweeper.. looks very effective

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Stihl-he...oAAOSwn25aIzDQ

not very good pics but could be good condition?

My HLA65 is rattling like a Salvos can. I duuno if it is just loose blades or something more serious but i assume it is on its way out. I don't seem to be able to tighten the blade bolts so maybe it needs a good clean out but who has time to do that a week before xmas.

While checking the price of a new HLA65 I noticed on the Sthil website they offer two new professional hand held cordless hedgers.

https://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Produ...Tool-Only.aspx

https://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Produ...-function.aspx

Haven't had a chance to look at the specs but one has a 70cm bar. I hope they take the same batteries as the HSA86 and HLA65.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    My HLA65 is rattling like a Salvos can. I duuno if it is just loose blades or something more serious but i assume it is on its way out. I don't seem to be able to tighten the blade bolts so maybe it needs a good clean out but who has time to do that a week before xmas.

While checking the price of a new HLA65 I noticed on the Sthil website they offer two new professional hand held cordless hedgers.

https://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Produ...Tool-Only.aspx

https://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Produ...-function.aspx

Haven't had a chance to look at the specs but one has a 70cm bar. I hope they take the same batteries as the HSA86 and HLA65.
    How old is it ?
    Warranty ?

Cheers Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post
    How old is it ?
    Warranty ?

Cheers Fred.
    Gidday Fred. Bought in October 2015 so just over 2 years old. Out of warranty for sure. Not too bad a run I suppose, not that great but it was never a commercial build. I'm still using it as it cuts ok, just sounds wrong.

Only got a year out of my HSA86. Not great either but didn't stop me buying a new one.

Not so sure I'll go another HLA65. I'm considering the hedger attachment for the Hitachi multi. Not cheap though at $550 just for the attachment as opposed to around $400 for a new HLA65.

One of each would be nice as the hla65 has its own little niche of jobs.

I think the Sthil cordless are fine for the light stuff but the reality is for people running a business is that it is inevitable that you are going to try and cut thru thicker stuff if it will save you getting off the ladder and back to the toolbox for an alternative tool. In the ideal world we would only use them on actual trimming jobs rather than reductions. I blame it on photinias, I hate them. They are one of the hardest woods going around.

Yeah your right about the photinias steve , I had to do a hedge last week and pulled out the kombi, I didn't want to blunt the blades on the 65.

Is the noise coming from the gearbox or the blades. Mine is still powering along and I cut a lot of hedges.

Those new ones are supposed to be commercial machines and they look the goods, only problem is you have to wear the battery on a belt or use a backpack battery.

One thing I have noticed this time of year with the murrayas going mad is the hla65 is a little slow in the thick lush growth, it still cuts nicely and its not much slower than the petrol, but it is noticeable . I have been thinking of getting the husky long reach hedger as it has a faster stroke rate. Might buy one for a Christmas present.

The battery power isn't perfect but No way would I go back to petrol for all my hedging work

Even the battery blower is great I would use it a lot more if I had more batteries so convenient

Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post
    Yeah your right about the photinias steve , I had to do a hedge last week and pulled out the kombi, I didn't want to blunt the blades on the 65.

Is the noise coming from the gearbox or the blades. Mine is still powering along and I cut a lot of hedges.

Those new ones are supposed to be commercial machines and they look the goods, only problem is you have to wear the battery on a belt or use a backpack battery.

One thing I have noticed this time of year with the murrayas going mad is the hla65 is a little slow in the thick lush growth, it still cuts nicely and its not much slower than the petrol, but it is noticeable . I have been thinking of getting the husky long reach hedger as it has a faster stroke rate. Might buy one for a Christmas present.

The battery power isn't perfect but No way would I go back to petrol for all my hedging work

Even the battery blower is great I would use it a lot more if I had more batteries so convenient
    Initially I thought it was just loose blade bolts but the noise seems to be coming from the gearbox. Even when I shake the machine without running the motor there is a definite rattle and the blades are loose too. At some stage I'll pull it apart and see what is wrong but too busy at the moment. Yeah I agree about not going back to petrol fumes, fueling up, noise, vibration etc. I do need to get the petrol multi tool for the tougher stuff though. Hopefully sthil bring out an equivalent to the Husky long reach. That Husky looks the goods, pricey though, but if it means quality its money well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    Initially I thought it was just loose blade bolts but the noise seems to be coming from the gearbox. Even when I shake the machine without running the motor there is a definite rattle and the blades are loose too. At some stage I'll pull it apart and see what is wrong but too busy at the moment. Yeah I agree about not going back to petrol fumes, fueling up, noise, vibration etc. I do need to get the petrol multi tool for the tougher stuff though. Hopefully sthil bring out an equivalent to the Husky long reach. That Husky looks the goods, pricey though, but if it means quality its money well spent.
    Pretty sure it will be a bearing.
    Ive had a 65 repaired under warranty then, the same machine replaced under warranty, then the 85 with exactly the same prob also replaced under warranty.Its a screeching noise, yes ?
    Like NALM, with all the hedges I do (I do ALOT) I could not go back to 2 stroke.
    Yes, Ive had some set backs but, its the USABILITY of this equipment that sets it apart.

I also have the Ego multi tool with hedger attachment & ext pole.
    This has also been a very good effective tool up to date, you might consider it too.

As you have stated though, there is a HUGE difference between trimming a hedge & reducing one.
    Tomorrow I will be reducing one but the thicker branches will be cut with the Ego multi & pole chainsaw attachment or fiskar pruning pole, then finished with the hedger attachment.

Manufacturers specs on cutting thickness' can be a little optimistic in real terms.
    Sure they'll cut through stems of thickness stated but, probably hibiscus or polar & other softer woods.
    Also thats singular, not multiples like on the top of a hedge.
    Look at your thumb knuckle, its approx 25mm/1 inch thick. Do you really expect a hedge cutter to constantly cut through that thickness ?
    Last sentence wasn't aimed at u Steveo, just a general statement.

Cheers Fred.

Ive had a 65 repaired under warranty then, the same machine replaced under warranty, then the 85 with exactly the same prob also replaced under warranty.Its a screeching noise, yes ?
    Like NALM, with all the hedges I do (I do ALOT) I could not go back to 2 stroke.
    Yes, Ive had some set backs but, its the USABILITY of this equipment that sets it apart.

This has also been a very good effective tool up to date, you might consider it too.

As you have stated though, there is a HUGE difference between trimming a hedge & reducing one.
    Tomorrow I will be reducing one but the thicker branches will be cut with the Ego multi & pole chainsaw attachment or fiskar pruning pole, then finished with the hedger attachment.

Manufacturers specs on cutting thickness' can be a little optimistic in real terms.
    Sure they'll cut through stems of thickness stated but, probably hibiscus or polar & other softer woods.
    Look at your thumb knuckle, its approx 25mm/1 inch thick. Do you really expect a hedge cutter to constantly cut through that thickness ?

Cheers Fred.
    I'm hearing everything you guys are saying and have no doubt they are excellent machines! BUT I don't do a heap of hedging and certainly not a lot of maintenance on hedges.
    With so many things that are changing so quickly I will wait until they have something more reliable and longer lasting.

One point here Freddy is that hedging to you may be your primary earner - so that's where you spend your money.
    Mine is leaning towards grounds maintenance so that's where I spend my money on the best I can afford.

I will get on board, just not quite yet

A question I have is: How do you look after your batteries? When it gets hot during summer are they left in hot cars/tool boxes etc as I was told heat can be a problem.

Cheers Fred.
    Interesting about the bearing. I'm still thinking its loose or worn blade cams. (not sure of the terminology). I'd describe at as more of a rattle or knocking/looseness rather than screeching. I was going to buy the Hitachi hedger attachment but found they no longer make them. I only bought the multi 2 years ago so pretty annoyed about that. Maybe it is an omen. How long you had the ego extension hedger Fred?

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    I'm hearing everything you guys are saying and have no doubt they are excellent machines! BUT I don't do a heap of hedging and certainly not a lot of maintenance on hedges.
    With so many things that are changing so quickly I will wait until they have something more reliable and longer lasting.

One point here Freddy is that hedging to you may be your primary earner - so that's where you spend your money.
    Mine is leaning towards grounds maintenance so that's where I spend my money on the best I can afford.

I will get on board, just not quite yet

A question I have is: How do you look after your batteries? When it gets hot during summer are they left in hot cars/tool boxes etc as I was told heat can be a problem.
    I store my battery in the trailer tool box3, never had an issue yet, touch wood. The weather extreme here can range from sub zero to around 38. I have been using the AP180 battery for 2years and 2 months. I probably use it almost every working day in a hedger or chainsaw and I only have that one battery and I cannot remember ever having run out of battery (even when used in both the chainsaw and hedger in the same day) and it is not even the highest capacity battery. Mind you I probably don't do as many hours as most and I work on my own but can't fault that battery.

Fred,

I just had a quick look under the cover of my noisy 65 and then compared it to my jammed 85. It is really easy to take that cover off and there might lay part of the problem. It is easy for dirt and water to get in. Dirt leads to the tolerances being affected and in the case of the 85 lead to the blade being derailed (so to speak) of that little cam thingy. The result was metal bits all thru it due to it being derailed and the cam thingy hitting the side walls. I can un jam it but its only good for parts now.

As far as the noisy 65 went that cam thingy that drives the blade looked really loose but what struck me most was that it was totally absent of grease which is the other issue with having a loose gear box cover that lets water in.

My theory is this. These things are designed for home owners, they don't have a grease nipple to grease the gearbox like pro stuff should have. I reckon people in the game who are using these need to pull that cover off, give it a quick blow out and grease it lightly every time they change the mower oil or whatever. This may or may not explain your bearing failures. I gave it a quick spray with lithium grease and it sounds better but I'll pull it apart again and put some thicker grease on it and see how that goes.

Without greasing a home owner would still easily get past the warranty period. I'm not sure what Sthil recommend as far as maintenance goes but I don't recall lubrication of the gearbox being a requirement. Phew, its beer time.

Page 16 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast