Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Stihl battery power

Default Re: Stihl battery power

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post
    Hi Chris, I have 3 battery platforms.
    Stihl, Ego & Aeg.
    They're all good but most times the Ego gets the gig.
    I was surprised to here the 18v AEG blower was power descent.
    I thought it would be down on air volume.
    I have the 18v snipper which is great on reg lawns, super light weight with plenty of zip.
    With the hedge cutter though, Im not so sure what makes the blade speed a priority ?
    I would have thought its more about the torque?

Cheers Fred.
    Yeah power was decent although your ego and bga100 obviously would be better

I tried a demo of the aeg snipper and loved how light it was but power, speed, and build quality were all down compared to my fsa90r and wasn't as smooth / refined

I bought the 18v fusion hedge trimmer because i loved how light it was compared to the hsa86.... thought it would be an awesome thrash machine for those quick dirty jobs .... i just assumed the blade speed couldn't be any slower than the Stihl.... but i was wrong ... it's only 2700 strokes per min and unfortunately the torque isn't at Stihl level either.

Regarding speed vs torque... depends what you're trimming. Some things don't matter but fine diosmas etc i find it really does. Aeg really struggles and blades slow right down even more.

I don't use the hsa94t much but I used it a few times last week on a few different things including diosmas and seriously it's on another level.... like a laser
    It's got the torque and speed and I haven't even managed to slow it down yet
    Totally blows me away every time I use it! The only sorta negative is the front safety trigger switch spring is a little firm to hold in after a while can fatigue left hand grip... you could cable tie it down i guess

On a side note, I recently sold all my AP300 batteries on eBay.... 7 of them at 179 each.... i paid 240 and 250 for them, average age over 2.5 years each!
    Hard to get that type of resale value on any other brand

The AP300s provides noticeable power increase in some tools including the fsa90r and msa220c

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    I think you'll find them reliable. I'm 100% battery with my small machines and only issue I've had was the cable, but seemed to be caused by dirty connectors in the socket end

I initially started with hla85 too.... but soon realized that hla65 suits me better for 90% of the time. (And much lighter)

Is this your first Stihl Battery machine?
    What battery did you get? The newest AP300s is the way to go and pumps out a higher rate of power for some of the newer machines

If you need a blower hold off for a bit longer as the bga86 should be coming soonish and seems to be the perfect balance of power, weight and run time (going by quoted figures)
    Hi Chris, Yes my first stihl battery tool. I've got mostly Husq battery gear which has been good, except for the extended hedge trimmer.
    I got the AP300s battery and the better charger. I think the data said it would run the 85 for about 220 mins. I'd never do that in a day

Hi Fred, Height was not my concern really. I don't do any over about 3.5m, but quite a few between 2.5-3m.. But quite a few must be about 3m across the top. I can only just reach across with the Husq at a stretch, so the HLA65 being shorter would need me to set up the ladders on the other side as well. PITA and not always possible.
    I probably will get the 65 later.

Hey ed I think me and you might have got Friday arvo huskies , mine has had 3 motors , but now seems to be going better than ever , last one they said they did some updates

I have the husky and stihl hla65 and hla85 the 85 is certainly useful when you need the reach , I use them all for different jobs each has its strengths , but if I had to choose just one it would be the husky,

One problem I see with battery gear is if one brand has the hedge trimmer you like and another brand has say the whipper snipper you want you have to buy another charger and batteries which in most cases is to costly. Then someone else brings out the blower you want $$$$$$$$$$$$

I believe husky are bringing out a telescopic hedge trimmer like the hla 85 soon so if you have the batteries could be the way to go if you haven't lost faith in the brand , and I almost did

You will notice the slower blade speed with the stihl

And in saying the above I am in no means saying one brand is better than the other, every ones needs are different so the gear I use may not suit you. I am saying though battery power has many advantages and its great to see and read about other guys experiences with battery power and its only getting better

LOL I can't believe the price they're asking for the Pellenc ripoff mower. Never thought I'd see a push mower more expensive than the Pellenc!

Someone mentioned it has individual wheel height adjustment? For real?? Why would you downgrade like that? I've been doing that for the last 7 years with the Mean Green push mower, using the Pellenc with single height adjust has been absolutely amazing - no way I would go back. Don't understand why anyone else would! Big thumbs down.

lt's a silly design but the Yanks seem to like it for some strange reason....

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post
    Hi Chris, I have 3 battery platforms.
    Stihl, Ego & Aeg.
    They're all good but most times the Ego gets the gig.
    I was surprised to here the 18v AEG blower was power descent.
    I thought it would be down on air volume.
    I have the 18v snipper which is great on reg lawns, super light weight with plenty of zip.
    With the hedge cutter though, Im not so sure what makes the blade speed a priority ?
    I would have thought its more about the torque?

Cheers Fred.
    Hey Fred,

I'm interested in your experience with the AEG18v snipper. How is the bump head design? Are you using the original or did you change it to a speed feed if its possible. Does the head spin the right way for vertical edges. How is the run time? Are there any attachments that fit the split shaft? From memory when I last looked at it there wasn't. AEG are throwing in a bonus 3Ah battery via online redemption at the moment. Its not much but its something. Are the AEG batteries interchangeable with the AEG power tools as well? Any other 18V AEG garden tools that have sparked your interest? Lot of questions for ya there. Rainy day here. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    lt's a silly design but the Yanks seem to like it for some strange reason....
    Well there are a lot of strange Yanks redeye.

Looks good but do they last.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    Well there are a lot of strange Yanks redeye.
    an abundance........

download.jpg

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Hey Fred,

I'm interested in your experience with the AEG18v snipper. How is the bump head design? Are you using the original or did you change it to a speed feed if its possible. Does the head spin the right way for vertical edges. How is the run time? Are there any attachments that fit the split shaft? From memory when I last looked at it there wasn't. AEG are throwing in a bonus 3Ah battery via online redemption at the moment. Its not much but its something. Are the AEG batteries interchangeable with the AEG power tools as well? Any other 18V AEG garden tools that have sparked your interest? Lot of questions for ya there. Rainy day here. Cheers.

If you're in Melbourne, I can organise demo units of the AEG stuff if you like

Hey Fred,

Hi Steveo, AEG snipper is now my go to for reg maintenance lawns.
    Its super light weight & spins anti clockwise, I love it !
    I did change to speed feed head but, the original head is quite good. I switched because I do plenty of horizontal mowing with it & wanted a lower profile head.
    I run 2x 6amp/hr batts & it chews through them fairly quickly (thats a minor con).
    I have no other attachments for it.
    Batts should be interchangeable with other AEG tools.
    Not really meant for over grown stuff but, for its intended purpose 8 to 9 outa 10.
    Had it over a year now with no issues.

Cheers Fred.

I ended up buying both the HLA65 & 85. Used them both on a bigger job this morning & all went well. I had one small Duranta hedge left to do and I ran out of battery.
    Grabbed my Husky battery handheld (the extended is in the shop for repairs) and couldn't get it to start at all either. It wouldn't have done 3 hours work.
    Had to finish the job with the Kombi 2 stroke.

IMG_20200304_162939rs.jpg

Bought a new Shindaiwa B450 while I was in the mood

You've definitely been working hard to flatten an AP300s battery hedging!
    Hopefully they will serve you well!

lots of new toys Ed l love new toy day

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast