Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Stihl battery power

Default Re: Stihl battery power

Chris , How does the 130 compare to the husky , if you have used both that is . Also what battery are you using with the 130. I went to my dealer and asked him if he can get a demo 130 so I can give it a run.
    Do you use it as your main trimmer

got both... power wise 130 much better.. but i used Husky more due to the cord

So is the cord a real problem jal

Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post
    So is the cord a real problem jal
    yes especially when do the edging...

I still keep it since Its good for slashing of thick grass

Chris , How does the 130 compare to the husky , if you have used both that is . Also what battery are you using with the 130. I went to my dealer and asked him if he can get a demo 130 so I can give it a run.
    Do you use it as your main trimmer
    The 130 is a great machine. I haven't used the husky but assuming the fsa90 is comparable in power. The 130 is far more powerful and responsive. Also much more balanced and light without battery on board.

For me the cord is annoying but only in the way of putting it on... Exactly like when using a backpack blower.

I minimise the hassle of putting it on by having the machine stored connected to the battery so I just walk up to truck, pick up machine and slide arms into backpack... if that makes sense? (Rather than fumbling around getting out cables and plugs etc) once machine is in use I find it more comfortable than any other machine

And yes I do use it as my main trimmer although my 'main' trimmer for regular cut lawns lately has been the fsa90r because of the fact it's easy to pick up and go. I also changed trimmer line to 2.4mm trailblazer on that machine which makes it seem like it has much more power compared to 2.7 diamond edge (which I use on the fsa130r)

I've got a bigger fs460 and use 3.3 diamond edge on that but hardly ever have to get that out unless it's a seriously thick matted kikuyu job or similar

If you do get one, the best way to power it is with the backpack battery. I've also got the AP adaptor pouch but that can get annoying swapping batteries etc. I mainly use that (rarely) when I've depleted the backpack battery or if I've got a big hedging job using the hsa94t

I think you previously mentioned the idea of getting the AR1000 and fsa130r combo to use on regular lawns? I personally went the AR3000 as I do a lot of larger jobs as well as a heaps of overgrowns etc. But if your business is all regulars then the smaller backpack would make a lot of sense. Plus you could always get one of each if you were happy with it . The 3000 isn't too much heavier than the 1000 but would def be wise to try them both on if weight is a concern. I haven't tried the 1000 but the 3000 is slightly lighter than my backpack blower

I just checked the backpack specs and the 3000 is double the battery capacity though.... and the 1000 isn't a whole lot cheaper either. So I guess what I'm saying is try the AR3000 on and if the weight is okay then that's the best option. If you use AP batteries on heavy grass you'll only get full power for about 10 -15 mins before it cuts power down for the remaining charge.

... the machine is kind to your body with vibration, weight, balance wise etc
    If you were in Melb feel free to check out mine, one of your posts put me onto the the hla65!

Thanks chris , The reason Im thinking of getting the 130 is that the husky lacks a little power on some jobs, its fine for 90% and some days I just take the petrol and leave the battery one at home. I need a couple more batteries for the husky to run all day in the summer, plus I am starting to find im going deaf in my right ear even though I have always worn protection, the battery units are so much nicer to use.
    The hla65 is still going strong, you may know I also have the husky , which at the moment is still at the dealers after over 4 weeks waiting for repairs, they told me they ordered the wrong parts, just hopeless service , This machine has had nearly every part replaced while the hla65 has never missed a beat, if the stihl cut at 4000 strokes per min instead of 3000 it would be the best machine ever. How do you rate the hsa94t as I have been looking at those too, But need to get a new trailer first mine is rusted out , im having trouble getting a decent price here one quote was over 9k for a simple 7x4 mowing trailer , yes 7x4 as im limited for space where I keep it

Recently I had trouble with a Weber bbq that my mum gave me. So I was not the original owner of the bbq. Had trouble with corrosion in the igniter and needed a new one. Rang Weber customer service. All they wanted was model no. serial no. and my address. They sent me a new one free that I got in 3 days. That is the sort of back up I want in battery lawn equipment. Looks like it isn't there anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by hjl View Post
    Recently I had trouble with a Weber bbq that my mum gave me. So I was not the original owner of the bbq. Had trouble with corrosion in the igniter and needed a new one. Rang Weber customer service. All they wanted was model no. serial no. and my address. They sent me a new one free that I got in 3 days. That is the sort of back up I want in battery lawn equipment. Looks like it isn't there anywhere.
    that, and the prices for what doesnt seem to be gear built to a commercial standard

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    that, and the prices for what doesnt seem to be gear built to a commercial standard
    +1 ON THAT!. It is not commercial standard equipment in my opinion, also don't have the type of back up service I would expect from Husqvarna head office.

So it looks like you pays your money and takes your chances with all of the battery gear. Interesting.

Thanks chris , The reason Im thinking of getting the 130 is that the husky lacks a little power on some jobs, its fine for 90% and some days I just take the petrol and leave the battery one at home. I need a couple more batteries for the husky to run all day in the summer, plus I am starting to find im going deaf in my right ear even though I have always worn protection, the battery units are so much nicer to use.
    The hla65 is still going strong, you may know I also have the husky , which at the moment is still at the dealers after over 4 weeks waiting for repairs, they told me they ordered the wrong parts, just hopeless service , This machine has had nearly every part replaced while the hla65 has never missed a beat, if the stihl cut at 4000 strokes per min instead of 3000 it would be the best machine ever. How do you rate the hsa94t as I have been looking at those too, But need to get a new trailer first mine is rusted out , im having trouble getting a decent price here one quote was over 9k for a simple 7x4 mowing trailer , yes 7x4 as im limited for space where I keep it

I'm sure you will love the fsa130r
    Honestly I think it's the best trimmer you can get by far.

There's only 3 things that may take a bit of getting used to especially for a first time battery gear operator :

1. The cord
    2. The extra safety switch on the handle (no big deal... except sometimes I bump switch and it goes from speed 3 down to 1. Then you've gotta press it once to go up to 2 then again to get back to 3)
    3. The rpms all battery line trimmers operate at is slower than most petrol (although this model is probably the fastest of all battery I assume)

It's very light and has the 'traditional' feel with motor up back. Has same head gearbox as the pro petrol models . Only stupid thing is there's a grease point which is ridiculous as even the new fs130 and fs460s don't have them anymore?? So it's the only maintenance item on it....

It also comes with a 'universal' guard that's for use with blades etc.... you've gotta get rid of that and put the slimline one on which the kombi line trimmer attachment uses.

Yeah would be good if the hla65 had a higher blade speed... but in their defence it's been out for over 6 years. Same with the 7+ year old bga85... surely they are going to release an updated model soon? Besides that I think overall Stihl is the battery system to go with and the upcoming mower and chainsaws look good too

The Hsa94t is by far the best hand held hedger I've ever used. I've had the $1000 petrol model before and this kills it in every way. It's build quality is second to none.... even redeye would be impressed haha. It's not something I use very often though but when you've got a heap of smaller hedges etc then it's unbeatable. I power with adaptor and an AP300 in backpack to keep weight to a minimum

I don't know much about trailers but will be purchasing one next month for new ride on.... 8x6 or 10x6 about 4-5k for good quality in Melb from the quick look I've had. Might be worth the rd trip and while you're down here you can demo all my Stihl gear haha

In saying all that... if Stihl doesn't replace my backpack battery cable there will be no more recommendations from me

It's past the 12 month warranty now but I brought it in before then...

Also whilst overall I think one brand of battery system is easiest.... I've got a heap of AEG power tools that are great. I didn't think most of their gardening stuff was up to Stihl standard.... but I'm getting a demo of the newer fusion hedge trimmer. It's very light especially with their smaller batteries and If it cuts well I might replace my hsa86 with it as I use that for rough stuff and it's fairly heavy

Quote Originally Posted by hjl View Post
    So it looks like you pays your money and takes your chances with all of the battery gear. Interesting.
    I'd say whatever warranty and service you're getting from your current dealer on petrol products will be the same when they sell you the battery stuff

Anyone got a RMA 510 21" cordless Sthil mower?

I'm about to pull the trigger on one. The lure of being able to use the AP battery that I already have is strong.

I also notice on the Sthil website there is a new model RMA510V which is a self propelled version.

Kennards are hiring out the RMA 510 so i'd assume they are fairly robust.

Anyone used one?

i just got the rma510v about a week... much better than the Ego.. good catching

2019-09-14 07.47.35.jpg

here is the picture

Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast