Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Stihl battery power

Default Re: Stihl battery power

That is good to hear. Thanks. What are your thoughts on the self propelled function? Is it variable speed SP?

I have read (on the internet ) some negative reviews about the RMA510 being hard to push. The point made was that the blade being high up in the deck means the deck is likely to drag over the ground. Have you noticed this issue with the SP version JAL2007.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    I have read (on the internet ) some negative reviews about the RMA510 being hard to push. The point made was that the blade being high up in the deck means the deck is likely to drag over the ground. Have you noticed this issue with the SP version JAL2007.
    Yer, I think that its the same chassis as the Victa 21". Stihl does have a side discharge shoot but the Victa had the same concern re the blade being to high under the deck. I think some have attempted to overcome this by packing the blade out. The Victa does not have a sp version to my knowledge.

Now, commercial quality.
    No body has been able to give an accurate description on this AFAIK.
    Ive been making a good making a good living out of this equipment using it hard over the last few years with minimal probs ( its not perfect) but, it doesn't have a commercial standard sticker on it, so I suppose its not professional ?

Cheers Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    I've had that model and noticed that... i left a review about the machine in an earlier post.... depends on how low you're cutting etc but most battery mowers seem to have the blades higher up in the deck. I notice the AEG website says they updated deck design on their battery mower to cut lower as many reviews complained about cut height (I haven't used that machine though)

Personally I'm waiting for the Stihl rma765 before jumping back into battery mowers

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post
    Yer, I think that its the same chassis as the Victa 21". Stihl does have a side discharge shoot but the Victa had the same concern re the blade being to high under the deck. I think some have attempted to overcome this by packing the blade out. The Victa does not have a sp version to my knowledge.

Now, commercial quality.
    Ive been making a good making a good living out of this equipment using it hard over the last few years with minimal probs ( its not perfect) but, it doesn't have a commercial standard sticker on it, so I suppose its not professional ?

Cheers Fred.
    Definitely not professional. You should go back to using heavy loud 2 strokes. Haha

I just checked the Honda Website and my 216's are listed as commercial. Nothing breaks more often lol... everything besides the engine

Very Helpful Member

I believe the blades being higher up in the chassis is supposed to be a safety thing, I had this on a chonda 19" mower that had a spacer between the engine and the chassis which I removed and this put the blade height back where it should be. I also noticed that it didn't matter what height you mowed on having the blades high up in the chassis was a problem with the it dragging on the grass and making it much harder to push
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post

Now, commercial quality.

Cheers Fred.
    By "commercial" I mean something that is meant to be rated to handle a full days work that it could be expected to do in the hands of a contractor on a regular basis with consistent performance.
    Thats what you should expect even though some newer equipment especially out of certain countries tend to NOT make the cut"

If you cut it too low, it would drag the deck. However, since its self propel, you wont need extra energy to push it

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    The 130 is a great machine. I haven't used the husky but assuming the fsa90 is comparable in power. The 130 is far more powerful and responsive. Also much more balanced and light without battery on board.

For me the cord is annoying but only in the way of putting it on... Exactly like when using a backpack blower.

I minimise the hassle of putting it on by having the machine stored connected to the battery so I just walk up to truck, pick up machine and slide arms into backpack... if that makes sense? (Rather than fumbling around getting out cables and plugs etc) once machine is in use I find it more comfortable than any other machine

And yes I do use it as my main trimmer although my 'main' trimmer for regular cut lawns lately has been the fsa90r because of the fact it's easy to pick up and go. I also changed trimmer line to 2.4mm trailblazer on that machine which makes it seem like it has much more power compared to 2.7 diamond edge (which I use on the fsa130r)

I've got a bigger fs460 and use 3.3 diamond edge on that but hardly ever have to get that out unless it's a seriously thick matted kikuyu job or similar

If you do get one, the best way to power it is with the backpack battery. I've also got the AP adaptor pouch but that can get annoying swapping batteries etc. I mainly use that (rarely) when I've depleted the backpack battery or if I've got a big hedging job using the hsa94t

I think you previously mentioned the idea of getting the AR1000 and fsa130r combo to use on regular lawns? I personally went the AR3000 as I do a lot of larger jobs as well as a heaps of overgrowns etc. But if your business is all regulars then the smaller backpack would make a lot of sense. Plus you could always get one of each if you were happy with it . The 3000 isn't too much heavier than the 1000 but would def be wise to try them both on if weight is a concern. I haven't tried the 1000 but the 3000 is slightly lighter than my backpack blower

I just checked the backpack specs and the 3000 is double the battery capacity though.... and the 1000 isn't a whole lot cheaper either. So I guess what I'm saying is try the AR3000 on and if the weight is okay then that's the best option. If you use AP batteries on heavy grass you'll only get full power for about 10 -15 mins before it cuts power down for the remaining charge.

... the machine is kind to your body with vibration, weight, balance wise etc
    If you were in Melb feel free to check out mine, one of your posts put me onto the the hla65!

How do you find the vibrations of the 130r when using it / with backpack battery and normal battery if there is any difference.
    Can you fit a standard speed feed head at all?
    What is the weight / balance of the whippy like when you using the backpack battery?
    What charger is needed for the backpack battery?
    Where are you located Chris?

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by jal2007 View Post
    If you cut it too low, it would drag the deck. However, since its self propel, you wont need extra energy to push it
    drag will cause it to use extra energy to propel the mower so the battery will not last as long a bit like driving a car versus driving one towing a trailer or with flat tyres
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

If you guys are looking for true commercial gear, take a look at Pellenc. That is really all I can recommend now, they've had a MASSIVE price drop earlier in the year - although they still carry a price premium. But like someone already commented - if you want true commercial grade gear you should expect to pay for it. They offer a 3 year warranty of batteries I believe, their push mower has a two year warranty, can be extended to 3 years. Regardless of which dealer you purchase from, Pellenc will pickup and repair/service equipment and also give you free loan equipment while your gear is out of action. Can't ask for anything more. That length of commercial warranty and level of service is basically unheard of!

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    drag will cause it to use extra energy to propel the mower so the battery will not last as long a bit like driving a car versus driving one towing a trailer or with flat tyres

Im answering about this one
    I have read (on the internet ) some negative reviews about the RMA510 being hard to push.

what i mean is our own energy to push. of course, it would chew up the battery usage. So with the self propel, will have less effort for us to push it

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    nearest dealer is in noumea

Quote Originally Posted by conrad View Post
    If you guys are looking for true commercial gear, take a look at Pellenc. That is really all I can recommend now, they've had a MASSIVE price drop earlier in the year - although they still carry a price premium. But like someone already commented - if you want true commercial grade gear you should expect to pay for it. They offer a 3 year warranty of batteries I believe, their push mower has a two year warranty, can be extended to 3 years. Regardless of which dealer you purchase from, Pellenc will pickup and repair/service equipment and also give you free loan equipment while your gear is out of action. Can't ask for anything more. That length of commercial warranty and level of service is basically unheard of!
    Looking for one good whippy - something equivalent to a 25cc+ petrol whippy without the weight, vibrations etc and some reasonable battery life. Something that can actually stay on the job and work without frequent trips back in for warranty or repairs.
    Who has Pallenc?

Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast