Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Stihl battery power

Default Stihl battery power

Thought I would start a thread so we can keep the still battery powered gear in one place.
    So today after a long wait , I picked up the still HLA85, The pictures show the length compared to the HLA65. If this one is as good as the 65 I will be very happy. These are the best bits of gear I have bought in a long time.IMG_1599.jpgIMG_1600.jpg

Default Re: Stihl battery power

i too am joining the club ,from Freds report i am sold..Iknow another experienced contractor who has convinced me they are worth the spend.....NLALM do you notice the weight difference between the two or are they that well balanced ..the motor on the blade end certainly a different look but from demos thats not a problem...good stuff i think as contractors there will be a few of us that will go all the way...the way of the future it appears

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    i too am joining the club ,from Freds report i am sold..Iknow another experienced contractor who has convinced me they are worth the spend.....NLALM do you notice the weight difference between the two or are they that well balanced ..the motor on the blade end certainly a different look but from demos thats not a problem...good stuff i think as contractors there will be a few of us that will go all the way...the way of the future it appears
    I'm almost in the club too!
    Been using my small 18v Makita on lighter stuff and it is a pleasure to use. Do miss the 2 stroke smell though.

Just want to get to Anton and give it a try before I buy!

Fred NEVER say Never

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    You forget who i was Geoff after all these years....I'd say the 85 is more balanced than the 65, 65 is a little ar$e heavy, not a big issue as its light but you notice it (i'm nit picking, its not a big deal). I love the 65 i was using it for around 3 hours straight today. No fumes, light, love it. If the other gear gets better in the next year or two i'll upgrade the blower and whippy as well, not there yet but. Speaking of Fred if he keeps catching monster trout he wont be using his 65 much i'll give u the tip. Last trout he caught had a small dog in its belly. Monster.

do you guys take the batteries out while they're on the back of the ute/trailer? l'd be paranoid about theft

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Its Melbourne mate, they are locked up and guarded by Rotties. Can't leave anything unlocked here now. Its gone to the dogs unfortunately. My 65 can fit in a lockable tool box.

I've been tossin up whether or not to go with the battery powered trimmer and blower. Any of you blokes had any experience with them? I haven't event had a demo yet. And I must say I'm stihl a bit sceptical. But if they are good I might take the plunge this season. Might even be able to get the missus to help me . I'm interested to know how long a fs90r wil run on a ap300 battery as I'm not that keen on carrying a 6-8kg battery on my back.

Jason Forrest
    Fair Dinkum Lawn & Garden Care
    Servicing St Clair, Erskine Park, Colyton, South St Marys
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

Top of the line whippy seemed a tad under powered to me, but that's me you may have a different view, keep in mind my daily whippy is a stihl 130 which has heaps a grunt so maybe i've been spoilt.

Top of the line handheld blower has power equal to the stihl bg86 its a beauty power wise but and its a biggy using the ap300 battery i only got 4 standard Melbourne lawns out of it. The backpack battery would get you a days run time but wasn't a viable option for me. There is also no battery holder on the machine you have a cord and a pack which houses the battery so you have to hold the blower with one hand and the pack with the other. Wasn't an issue on the day i used it but maybe to some.

Trying the mower soon. I've heard the chainsaws are good but have no personal experience with them.

I'm buying the little hedge trimmer and will report back on that in time.

Cheers Craig.

Over 100 Husky dealers went over for a trip to HuskyWorld to see the New Factory in Poland which was substantially extended soon after its opening. They can build mega factories over there in the time it takes us here to get a permit for display signage placement.
    They got the company direction buzz and were taken to concept stores as well.
    These dealership owners arrived back downunder last week.
    I asked about Battery Equipment and yep that's a path off strong focus.
    Will ask further on the subject next time I'm in if the shops quite.
    I know the extended length hedger is almost due in.

Back to Stihl Thread.
    Cheers Garry

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    Over 100 Husky dealers went over for a trip to HuskyWorld to see the New Factory in Poland which was substantially extended soon after its opening. They can build mega factories over there in the time it takes us here to get a permit for display signage placement.
    They got the company direction buzz and were taken to concept stores as well.
    These dealership owners arrived back downunder last week.
    I asked about Battery Equipment and yep that's a path off strong focus.
    Will ask further on the subject next time I'm in if the shops quite.
    I know the extended length hedger is almost due in.

Back to Stihl Thread.
    I've always had a good run with Husky gear. I've demoed the current range was just a tad under powered but maybe the new gear might take it up a notch.

been doing some trimming today for 4 hrs using HLA65. only 50% juice used.
    Got Ego backpack blower and loving it. Thinking to purchase ego self proper lawn mower soon

Quote Originally Posted by jal2007 View Post
    been doing some trimming today for 4 hrs using HLA65. only 50% juice used.
    Got Ego backpack blower and loving it. Thinking to purchase ego self proper lawn mower soon
    so if we start buying battery gear will we need to carry different batteries and chargers??
    Or do Stihl or Husky have gear that is good enough or getting there soon to have a range? Blowers, trimmers, hedgers, chainsaws etc?

well you carry 2 things for petrol anyway... 2 stroke or 4 stroke

Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post
    Thought I would start a thread so we can keep the still battery powered gear in one place.
    So today after a long wait , I picked up the still HLA85, The pictures show the length compared to the HLA65. If this one is as good as the 65 I will be very happy. These are the best bits of gear I have bought in a long time.IMG_1599.jpgIMG_1600.jpg
    Thanx for starting this thread NLALM.
    Last time I enquired about the hla85, it wasn't available in OZ.
    If you could give a review after a couple of runs, that would be great.
    Its just a bigger version (telescopic) of the 65 so Im sure it will fine.

One reservation I have is the thickness of the shaft.
    I have a 4m telescopic echo that I never use, due to thickness of the shaft & its weight.
    Im sure it will be lighter but, u may find the thicker shaft not as comfortable to use as the thinner shaft on the 65 ?

Johnny, bite the bullet, ya know ya wanna !

Red, it folds down to about a meter & can be easily stored out of sight almost anywhere.
    It can go straight into the cab with u if u want, its not hot, it doesn't stink & it won't spill fuel.

Jal, I love my Ego h/held blower.
    What size battery do u run with the B/pack & how long does it last ?
    Also, c if u can get a demo on the mower b4 buying to make sure it suits your needs.

Cheers Fred.

I keep my battery gear inside the ute , no fumes so , its locked up and out of the weather.
    As far as whipper snippers go, I'm not sure they are there yet , but if I wanted just a whippy I think the husky is better than the stihl.
    My next purchase will be the blower, just because I think it would be really handy for small stuff, I know they chew the batteries but it wont be for big stuff , a contractor let me have a go of his one day and I thought it was ok.

As jal said, run time is awesome out of the ap300 battery, I wouldn't buy the backpack battery, as I believe it wont be to long and one battery will last all day. I think the battery life is the biggest issue with the whipper snippers. If you could get 2 to 3 hrs at full power, 3 batteries run all day.. perfect. It will happen , but when

Page 1 of 39 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast