Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Stihl battery power

Default Re: Stihl battery power

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    I'm not too sure what that youtube clip proves except whipper snippers could be used as a backup trolling motor.

The problem with the electric whippers in my experience so far has been poor balance, big bulky motor at the cutting head and a power lag.

What are Husky whipper snippers like?
    Can't comment on anything just released but the ones i've used including the top of the range seemed a bit underpowered. Seemed like quality gear but needed more power for mine.

Me i'm waiting till all companies release multi tools. Then we'll get serious. Still think the better models a still a year or two away.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Steve View Post
    Can't comment on anything just released but the ones i've used including the top of the range seemed a bit underpowered. Seemed like quality gear but needed more power for mine.

Me i'm waiting till all companies release multi tools. Then we'll get serious. Still think the better models a still a year or two away.
    Your probably right. EGO have released their multi-tool setup. They must be close to first cab off the rank for a multi.

The multi can share a battery with the SP 21 inch mower too which is handy. The battery can also be used in their backpack blower.

I've done some sums on comparing the SThil and ego prices and EGO blows Sthil out of the water assuming jal2007 gives a half decent review on his multi-tool setup :-)

EGO seem to be moving very fast, they have had several model upgrades, a very easy clear and concise brochure and specs, there manuals are available online. They have a parts network and an Australian accent call centre that answers the phone quickly and is helpful.

This year they are introducing a 1 year commercial warranty on the tools and the battery. Homeowners get 5 years on the skins and 3 years on the batteries.

will do the multi tool review next week

Quote Originally Posted by jal2007 View Post
    will do the multi tool review next week
    Looking forward to it. Multi's are the way to go. Whippy, blower, pruner, chainsaw etc etc how can you go wrong.

Thanks for the review. What you say makes sense. The right tool for the right job.

Just on your other question regarding charging in the car. I did cart around a large deep cycle batterey in my trailer for a while with the intention of charging batteries if I ran out but found it wasn't necessary because the Sthil battery (and I only have the one) never ran out on me but if you are not a sole operator you might need to come up with something. You'd need to do your maths on weather its worth it. Those big deep cycle lead acid batteries weigh a lot and the advantage of buying extra sthil batteries mean you can rotate them thru whilst always having a fully charged backup in the ute.
    Thanks for that. It would be nice to have them charge in the truck so I don't have to carry them in after a days work but don't think I'm gonna bother. I've got 4 batteries which is probably enough but If i get another 2 I'll be okay for even the busiest spring days.

Funny thing with everyone comparing different brands .. probably find that if they are a similar weight, run time and battery size (watt hours not voltage) - then they are going to be very alike in power too
    For example the FSA90R vs the equivalent husky - very similar design / battery etc and by the look of videos same power.
    might be worthwhile comparing ergonomics though - one thing i notice about husky, is the trimmer head is more angled which might be preferred by some

Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post
    theres no doubt these would be very easy to work with - extremely light and would be perfect for long trimming jobs
    maybe the backpacks would be good for the guys with 2 person teams where one is on whippy and blower all day while the other mows??

I wouldn't want one on my back in the hot weather though!

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Steve View Post

Yep same here. Reckon it could be 12 months or so to have some good competition amongst them

I was in the husky dealer last week having a look at the whippy. To me it feels better than any other battery whippy, but I haven't run it out on the job. I was told there is a 9 amp/hour battery coming soon, you would think that would give decent run time. See when its out, I want a demo. The long reach hedger still wasn't in the shop but it is on its way I was told...

Was also at my stihl dealer picking up some parts, he told me how stihl have bought into one of the biggest battery manufacturers in the world , which shows how serious they are. He also said one of the big wigs in the US is coming out to run stihl Aus so interesting times ahead .

Using the hla65 yesterday, standing on the top of my 3 step ladder, I fell off.. sore as hell today, I tried not to fall on my new hip, which I did ,ouch, limping around today. So if you are using battery power and take a tumble it doesn't make the concrete any softer

bugger...........

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Lawn edgers and leaf vacs any decent battery powered ones around yet?

I'm not too sure what that youtube clip proves except whipper snippers could be used as a backup trolling motor.

The problem with the electric whippers in my experience so far has been poor balance, big bulky motor at the cutting head and a power lag.

What are Husky whipper snippers like?
    I can only assume it's designed to demonstrate the far superior torque output of an electric motor.

Everyones opinion will be based on their previous experience and knowledge... it's funny because my experience with petrol trimmers has been that they're a heavy, noisy, hot total pain in the butt. (I have been using electric gear from the start.)

The Husky line trimmer is awesome - the best one I've ever used. Had a Shindaiwa T270 sitting in the garage as a backup for heavy jobs, clearing overgrown grass etc. which I didn't use once since I had the Husky trimmer. I sold it. When clearing overgrown areas with the T270 you have to stop very often to refuel. With the backpack on the Husky trimmer you only stop when you need a break. The downside is that 3mm line in the Husky will tend to overheat the motor if used for long periods. So I only use the 3mm line for overgrown edges and it rips through. 2.4mm line all the rest of the time. IMO if the Husky trimmer can't do it, you're better off hiring the big Stihl 2T brushcutter with blade and just get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    Is anyone charging Stihl batteries in their work vehicle?
    I'm assuming may take too long, while not the best for the battery to be charged on and off all the time??
    I'm not, but that's the end goal...
    It's actually better for the battery to keep it topped up rather than run flat and recharge, repeat. Husqvarna have a car charger coming and I'll be using that as soon as it's available.

Conrad do you have the husky whipper ? If so how do you rate it. I would like one but then I would have to get more batteries and a charger I was trying to stick with one brand but if the two brands were husky and stihl that would cover everything I need.
    Yep, I have the Husky everything. Line trimmer is awesome... going strong for about a year and a half now I think, and I've put it through a hell of a workout. Glad to have the 3 year warranty, not that I'm expecting it to crap out but it just gives peace of mind meaning that I can use it without having thoughts of "oh no, this is too much work for it" in the back of my mind. I started off with a Core Gasless trimmer almost 4 years ago and the Husky gear is light years ahead. Any petrol trimmer now automatically has a black mark against it, no reason to look back.

The 2017 Husqvarna catalogue says the motor on the commercial hedge trimmer is a 4 brush motor model 536lihd60x.
    I don't know if they're still playing funny buggers updating their website all over the place, but I could have sworn it said the 536LiHD60X had a brushless motor... right now it only says "new proprietary motor". I'd prefer brushless for sure, but having said that there hasn't been any hedge work that the hedge trimmer didn't power through. The only other hedge trimmer I've used was the Core Gasless unit, but again I've never had any reason to wish for a petrol hedge trimmer.

Scooby Steve - Lawn edger... you mean line trimmer? Haha
    Leaf vac - ok you caught me. The Echo blower vac is the one handheld petrol item that I use most. I had a Bosch corded unit before this and honestly it does a far superior job!!! Vac/collection on the Echo is utterly crap in comparison. Only reason I kept it was for convenience of not having to use extension leads - but if I was doing big leaf pickup job again (say anything approaching 1 hour on the vac) I would go back to the Bosch 240V unit for sure!
    Don't expect a battery powered vac any time soon... massive power required to make them work properly.

Conrad , mate you are talking me into the husky line trimmer, Can you tell me what sort of run time you get out of a battery, or do you just use the backpack battery all the time. Also do you know if you can fit a speed feed head to it. I'm thinking that with a couple of the 9 amp hour batteries that are coming soon, I would get a fair bit done even if I needed 3 or 4 batteries it would be worth it.

Conrad , mate you are talking me into the husky line trimmer, Can you tell me what sort of run time you get out of a battery, or do you just use the backpack battery all the time. Also do you know if you can fit a speed feed head to it. I'm thinking that with a couple of the 9 amp hour batteries that are coming soon, I would get a fair bit done even if I needed 3 or 4 batteries it would be worth it.
    I can see Conrad likes them but my advice is to try it yourself. Me and another 5 indies did the demo day and we all said the same thing about it. Quality gear but.....

I remember you guys doing that scoob , can you refresh my memory as to why you didn't like it. Was it low on grunt. I am all for battery gear, but if it isn't going to make life easier and the job quicker, I'm not going to get it.

I remember you guys doing that scoob , can you refresh my memory as to why you didn't like it. Was it low on grunt. I am all for battery gear, but if it isn't going to make life easier and the job quicker, I'm not going to get it.
    I guess it depends on what gear you use in comparison but i find the whippies under powered, same for the stihl whippies. Good for a home owner not so good for us, but this is just mine and five other contractors opinions lol. The ego blower and stihl 100 blowers are good, short run times though unless you use the backpack batteries, stihl hla 65 and 85 are good, scattering of other good products from various makes but for mine another year or two off being worthy of being called pro gear. Like a lot of Husky gear the quality looks solid but could use more grunt. Try a demo for yourself on longish edges and get back to me with your view.

Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast