Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Stihl battery power

Default Re: Stihl battery power

Run time can vary a lot depending on whether you're doing overgrown long stuff or regular lawns every 2 weeks... If regular lawns and working by myself I can usually get through the day with just one battery on the line trimmer. I find the power save mode gives sufficient power on those jobs, combined with keeping a long line length means it trims much easier. I think it depends on the way you're used to working as well... out of necessity I am very precise when it comes to line trimmer operation - any time you jam line right into an edge or run excess line against a fence or wall you'll be losing power out of your electric trimmer which you might not notice when using a petrol trimmer. That's more true using the "power save" mode, if in full power there would be nothing in it - but you'll chew into much more of your battery life as well. It works for me because I end up using less line and working faster by being more accurate on the trimmer.

With the backpack battery you basically don't have to worry about run time. Full power all the time and let rip. 3mm line for overgrown edges where you need to cut through dirt and get it back into shape and it goes through it like butter. I will have to try and get some video but I do have some photos I can dig up as well.

What line did you do your demo with Scooby Steve? Like I said I use 2.4mm most of the time and occasionally 3mm for very overgrown edges. I think the trimmers ship with 2mm line as the default selection which is a bit weak. Your views may have been affected by the line you used rather than the machine you used...

I think it was 2.7mm. Definitely wasn't the cord and its not just a Husky issue. Maybe different soil/grass types up where you are, going may be a bit tougher down here. Not sure but 5 experienced contractors all said the same. Be interested to see what others think but i still think we are a few years away from getting the best out of the battery gear with a few select current models being the exception.

Happy that we had the chance to demo it all at once so credit needs to go to Husky and the local dealer.

Had a run of the whippy today, but wasn't allowed to cut grass with it , was told they don't have a demo machine and the rep doesn't either, more piss poor service from aussie dealers. If I was in the USA they would be falling over themselves for my business .

It felt ok, would really like to snip some grass, but as I would only be using it on maintained lawns I think it would be ok.
    I did run the blower as well , I thought it was better than the stihl , smaller in size and felt more powerfull than the stihl.
    I am ready to buy both but the guy said they are waiting for the better batteries which should be here soon, so I will hang out for them.

I also ran the long reach hedger, and to be honest it didn't blow me hair back , I don't think it was that much noticeably better than the stihl hla 65 , and the stihl comes with a tip protector, would have to try it in the field to really give an accurate opinion , but looks like that aint gunna happen

Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post
    Had a run of the whippy today, but wasn't allowed to cut grass with it , was told they don't have a demo machine and the rep doesn't either, more piss poor service from aussie dealers. If I was in the USA they would be falling over themselves for my business .

It felt ok, would really like to snip some grass, but as I would only be using it on maintained lawns I think it would be ok.
    I did run the blower as well , I thought it was better than the stihl , smaller in size and felt more powerfull than the stihl.
    I am ready to buy both but the guy said they are waiting for the better batteries which should be here soon, so I will hang out for them.

I also ran the long reach hedger, and to be honest it didn't blow me hair back , I don't think it was that much noticeably better than the stihl hla 65 , and the stihl comes with a tip protector, would have to try it in the field to really give an accurate opinion , but looks like that aint gunna happen
    I would run it first to be honest, needs to be under load to get an accurate reading on whether it suits you or not. New tech they should really have demos ready. Funny you reckon the husky blower is more powerful than the stihl 100, i had em the other way around, run times on both were poor and having to carry the battery of the stihl meant a no sale from me. See if any hire places have the gear.

NLALM, have a look at ego gear.
    I was at the Husky demo day with Scoob & although their gear appeared well built quality stuff, it also appeared under powered.
    The ego gear was more powerful & at quarter the price, I couldn't go passed it, especially as I was just dipping my toe in on the battery gear at that stage.
    The blower has the highest power rating of all H/helds inc petrol. It does however suck the juice which is typical for battery blowers.
    There's quite the discussion going on re Ego gear on the other channel.
    Ego has now put out a multi tool ......... interesting!

Cheers Fred.

Welcome back Fred...... hows the tan? Surprised you come back to work i would have stayed on holidays.

Multi tool, now you have my attention. Let me know what you think of it once you have purchased it lol. You know you are going to (( :

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Steve View Post
    Welcome back Fred...... hows the tan? Surprised you come back to work i would have stayed on holidays.

Multi tool, now you have my attention. Let me know what you think of it once you have purchased it lol. You know you are going to (( :
    Thanx Scoob, Im still looking white & pasty ........ lol.
    Temps were right up there but, they (thankfully) don't have our extreme UV rays.

Still waiting on Jal2007 review of the Multi.

Cheers Fred.

Scoob I was comparing the blower to the stihl bga85 not the 100 , and I would love to run it but no one will let me. You would think they would have a demo machine, to try and get a few out in the field ifiik what huqvarna are thinking

Fred , yes I have to have a look at ego, but I haven't seen it in any shops around here, I went to our biggest mitre 10 and they didn't have any of it. You told me about their blower before, I will look into it again. I see they are bringing out a better mower

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post
    Temps were right up there but, they (thankfully) don't have our extreme UV rays.

Cheers Fred.
    Yeah I'm waiting on that review too.

Scoob I was comparing the blower to the stihl bga85 not the 100 , and I would love to run it but no one will let me. You would think they would have a demo machine, to try and get a few out in the field ifiik what huqvarna are thinking

Fred , yes I have to have a look at ego, but I haven't seen it in any shops around here, I went to our biggest mitre 10 and they didn't have any of it. You told me about their blower before, I will look into it again. I see they are bringing out a better mower
    Yeah, I'm interested in that mower. I rang EGO and asked the voice on the phone where I can see one and she said Sydney. I said well that it a long way to go. Then I said I'll go if EGO's. Only joking about the last bit.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    Yeah, I'm interested in that mower. I rang EGO and asked the voice on the phone where I can see one and she said Sydney. I said well that it a long way to go. Then I said I'll go if EGO's. Only joking about the last bit.
    will walla be there?

Ego is not a dirty word

Quote Originally Posted by 4 Gardens View Post
    will walla be there?
    Im not going if nulla is there. Nullas a bore.

Ill go if din goes

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post

Cheers Fred.

Hey Jal, if u see this could u give us a comparison between the hla65 & the Ego multi tool hedger.
    Your opinion would be greatly appreciated !

Cheers Fred.

Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast