Thread: Stihl battery power

Default Re: Stihl battery power

Quote Originally Posted by 4 Gardens View Post
    Awesome!!!!!!!!
    Hi 4 Gardens,
    Thanks mate

Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post
    Picked up the demo fsa90 whipper snipper today Gave it a run , will have it for a few days and will post some pictures . here are my thoughts so far.

When you pick the machine up , you immediately feel that it is head heavy, even with the ap 300 6 amp hour battery it is still unbalanced , I adjusted the d handle to compensate but it still wasn't good, I think this is the biggest problem with the machine , also the motor in head is a bit to wide which restricts you being able to see the head, you would probably get used to this but I don't like it. You cant put a different guard on this machine as it is moulded around the motor.

What I liked, it comes with the stihl bump feed head which I unscrewed and put a speed feed straight on no problem. The direction is anti clockwise which is great, and it doesn't turn off like the husky does. The grips and d handle are very good. The power is also great it seems to spin up to full power which feels to me more powerful than the husky.
    The head angle is the same as the petrol machine which is nice . Stihl came close with this machine ,but the husky is probably my favourite of the 2.

Because of the guard the line length is a bit short, if I took the line cutter off it would give a bit more length and I'm sure the motor could handle it. Runtime is probably not as good as the husky as the battery is 6 amp not 9 maybe if stihl brought out a bigger battery with more weight it might balance it better. Because of the wider head due to the motor I wasn't edging as neatly

The dealer also showed me the new fsa 130 whippy , wow what a beast, no demo model so don't know how it goes but you can only use it with a backpack battery or wearing you battery on a belt and having a cord plugged into the machine. It to felt a bit head heavy , I'm not sure if this was just the handle position or what because the motor is not in the head, it has a solid shaft and was built like a full commercial machine , I really would like to have a go of one. rrp is $649

He also showed me the new has 94t hedge trimmer. All I can say is wow this is the best battery hedge trimmer I have seen , its a full commercial unit built like their big petrol machines. It has a swivel handle and 3 cutting speeds The balance and feel in the hands is great. Only down fall is like the big whippy you need to plug into it with either a backpack or belt battery This wouldn't be such an issue with a hedge trimmer. This will be my next handheld hedger for sure its nice and light so for big jobs it wouldn't be so hard on the body. awesome machine rrp $749

price for the ap holster with connecting cable is $199

He also showed me the new
    I did mention about FSA90 a while back..

yes the problem is it's not balance and heavy on the head due to the motor on that side which also not good when using it when the grass is wet

Only 100 minutes on the FSA130 with a backpack battery??? Not good compared to the competition...
    The tech data on their website says up to 190mins with AR 3000, better but still nowhere the 6+ hours you'd get with the Husky...

I can understand they want to build it like a petrol trimmer to attract commercial users and be able to say "hey this is built the same as our other gear!" but IMO that's the wrong approach. Electric tools have their own strengths which should be capitalised on. Haven't liked any electric trimmers that have a shaft and gearbox setup - why add unnecessary weight and complexity?

At least you know it's going to be powerful if it's chewing that much juice!!

The HSA 94 looks good, full size blade with rotating handle like the Husky - up to 5,000 strokes per min, even slow speed is 4,400/min. Beats 4,000/min of the Husky!!

Nice to see them bringing out some commercial tools finally. More competition, better choices for us - bring it on!

Bit of a comparison between the stihl and husky
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think from the photos you can tell why the husky is better.

I took the stihl back today and told the dealer my thoughts , mostly that it is to heavy in the head and the lack of being able to see the head properly . It has good power nice handles and spins the right way , a speed feed fits straight on . The guard is another problem as its moulded around the motor as you can see in the picture, I told him all this , and that I wont buy one.

But I had another look at the 130 while I was there , I adjusted the d handle and had it balanced really well. I think it would be a goer it all feels good , but I haven't even heard it run . The dealer wont be getting a demo either so if anyone has one, or gets one, it would be good to hear what you think of it. At nearly $900 for the machine and adaptor to run the small batteries , I'm not going to be the guinea pig.

I think from the photos you can tell why the husky is better.

I took the stihl back today and told the dealer my thoughts , mostly that it is to heavy in the head and the lack of being able to see the head properly . It has good power nice handles and spins the right way , a speed feed fits straight on . The guard is another problem as its moulded around the motor as you can see in the picture, I told him all this , and that I wont buy one.

But I had another look at the 130 while I was there , I adjusted the d handle and had it balanced really well. I think it would be a goer it all feels good , but I haven't even heard it run . The dealer wont be getting a demo either so if anyone has one, or gets one, it would be good to hear what you think of it. At nearly $900 for the machine and adaptor to run the small batteries , I'm not going to be the guinea pig.
    Thanks for the reviews mate - When I first saw the Stihl hedge trimmers etc I didn't think they looked that tough so forgot about them... after reading your reviews I went out and got the hedge trimmer straight away! Now I've actually sold my petrol handheld blower, hedge trimmers and chain / pole saws

I've had the FSA90R for over 6 months now: Initially I thought the same as you - the weight in the head really put me off. I was about to sell it. I adjusted d handle the first day but it still took about 2 months of daily use before I didn't notice weight in head. When you think about it, the weight difference is because we are used to carrying a heavy motor on the other end. I wonder if someone who has never used one before would think it is better balanced than a petrol version??

Anyway now I use it for just about every job that is regularly cut. The view of head doesn't really bother me however the shorter line is annoying. I was thinking of adding a spacer to extend that guard out a bit ....(I thought those orange bits were in 2 parts... will have to check properly)
    The standard line Stihl puts in all their trimmers is useless... I don't know why they do that to ppl! It ruins a good product and gives ppl bad first impressions. diamond edge all the way for me
    I also prefer the standard Stihl head over the speed feed, as personally find I can load quicker and it's lighter. I can feel the heavy speed feed zap power even on the km130 (I see they fit the FSA130R with a Stihl's new version of a speed feed head so be interested in trying that)

But have to say a lot of posts mention how powerful the battery trimmers are... seriously not sure what everyone is comparing too- but not what I call powerful.
    They do have plenty of power for regular cut grass... but longer grass or overgrown edges ... waste of time - I use a km130r for just about everything not regularly cut and seriously would have to be 10 times more powerful at least
    Sometimes I start the edges the the FSA90r and half way I realise just how much longer its taking.... go back get the 130 and fly through it in a quarter of the time
    It's like when I'm using a handheld blower for a large job then realise how slow it is... go back get the backpack blower and wonder why I didn't grab that from the start

Anyway... regarding FSA130R : I'll definitely be getting one shortly so will let you know how I go.
    Initially the thought of tools without battery slots sounded annoying (still does) but I'm willing to give it a go now that there is other options to power besides backpack
    I'm just trying to work out whether to get a backpack battery, the battery belt or even that new backpack thing they have which uses the AP batteries like the belt I think??? or maybe just try one of the options that use the AP batteries to test out first.. then add a backpack battery??? I find it convenient to be able to swap the batteries around all my machines so that's one of the reasons I'm sticking with Stihl
    also dealer mentioned that there is a new AP battery in the works... think he said AP300s ???

Too many options, or have I got a problem
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chris I agree with all you have said, everyone is used to picking up a whipper with a heavy motor. I think your arm muscles get used to the change and it becomes second nature.

When I say plenty of power I mean plenty to cut regulars. If I need more power I pick up the 525lst or the stihl 94 , but for what they are they have great power better than I thought they would.

What batteries do you have ? I have 2 AP 300 batteries.
    There is a new backpack battery on the way the AR 1000 which is a smaller lighter one

my local stihl dealer said last week there is a new battery that will replace the AP300 coming later this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBb_SYqUHmg

Sorry about the double up this is the one I meant to post

Chris I agree with all you have said, everyone is used to picking up a whipper with a heavy motor. I think your arm muscles get used to the change and it becomes second nature.

When I say plenty of power I mean plenty to cut regulars. If I need more power I pick up the 525lst or the stihl 94 , but for what they are they have great power better than I thought they would.

What batteries do you have ? I have 2 AP 300 batteries.
    There is a new backpack battery on the way the AR 1000 which is a smaller lighter one
    Quote Originally Posted by 4 Gardens View Post
    my local stihl dealer said last week there is a new battery that will replace the AP300 coming later this year
    I wasn't referring to you NLALM- just general chat on forum about the power they have... might mislead some ppl reading expecting more especially if they are currently using a powerful petrol model- But I agree.. great power for reg jobs!

I've got 5 AP 300 batteries. you could always sell your hla65 and use the 2 stihl batteries just for the blower - you could go a whole day easy. then if stihl release a better pole hedger, you would only need the tool

I'm gonna do a bit more research before I get all the new gear and maybe wait for the new batteries.. but will let you guys know how I go.
    I was thinking I would end up with the big backpack battery but now not so sure.... they work out about the same price as buying single ap300's to make up the same watt hour... and with a new battery coming may cost even less
    The AR1000 is 626wh https://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Produ...k-battery.aspx
    The AP300 is 227wh https://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Produ...0-Battery.aspx
    So unless I'm missing something ... the AR1000 is 2.75 x the power but retail price works out similar to buying 4 x AP300!
    AR3000 is $1349 with 1148wh which is about 5 x ap300 yet still roughly 5 x the cost
    (doesn't take into account you need an adaptor to power tools which require a connecting cable from the smaller AP style battery)

Other options:
    They have a backpack looking thing for powering the tools which require a connecting cable
    Also a $30 harness which connects to battery belt.... will have to see in person.. . but maybe this could make the belt more like a backpack battery .. so easier to carry and slip on / off and put weight on shoulders instead of waist???
    will look into all options and update when i get a chance

I'm thinking the FSA130R is a must have... just gotta work out best way to power it
    If that works out, adding on one of the new pro hedge trimmers is easy and maybe even a bga100
    That battery sweeper looks great as well but not exactly cheap!

I also found a kma130r Kombi engine on overseas site... not sure I can see the benefits of this machine personally

Here's some random screen shots ive taken for inspiration haha:Screenshot_20180114-224755.jpgScreenshot_20180116-154954.jpgScreenshot_20180116-155003.jpgScreenshot_20180116-155104.jpg

Page 19 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast