Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Stihl battery power

Default Re: Stihl battery power

Screenshot_20180216-223619.jpgScreenshot_20180217-182550.jpg

sorry not sure why they come up so small

Hey chris you wont believe it but I just logged on to write about that power head. Its the 130r that will take the normal stihl kombi attachments . If my 2 stroke power head dies I would get the battery one for sure.

On another note I have noticed that the stihl hla65 seems to cut thicker woody branches or stems with greater ease than the husky. Might have something to do with the lower stroke rate. I'm glad I have both machines.

Wonder if it will come to Australia. The reason why I'm not sure about the kombi is most attachments I would find annoying having to have a cord attached to machine especially hedge trimming etc
    but def a low cost option to enter battery gear if you have the attachments already

I've been really abusing the HLA65 and starting to notice the lower blade speed.... I just bought a dremel to sharpen it and highly recommed that... easiest way and super quick
    It's like a brand new machine and honestly doesnt seem like it would even be better if the speed was faster

The only reason I let it get so blunt was just the thought of sharpening manually, and just finding the time and effort... the dremel completely changes that and been cordless can even carry onboard if I want - wish I bought it ages ago!

how old is it Chris?

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

about 8 months old - it's hit a few bits of metal and gone through many branches that should be cut with loppers or chainsaw though lol
    (everything else was fine except the battered blades)
    actually saw your dremel sharpening video which is one of the reasons i got one... which stone do you find best for hedge trimmer blades... the smaller aluminum oxide cone or cylinders?

HSA 94T looks pretty bloody good..!! From the looks of that vid I reckon they might even be starting to come up into Pellenc territory...

Batteries - I definitely prefer to use my tools with the standalone battery, but the backpack does take a fair chunk of weight out of the tool. Also if you are doing big jobs and want to get it done in one hit without having to stop, walk back to vehicle, change batteries, walk back to where you stopped work and go again... then backpack is a must. My biggest edging job takes me about 2.5-3.5 hours, would be so much longer if I had to stop and change batteries or refill petrol on that one!

Also what Dremel sharpening video are you referring to Chris? I need to give mine a sharpen, was just going to file it but I do have a Dremel, I know that would be lots faster but just didn't want to take the straight edge off the blade.

I think it was linked from here somewhere.. unless i stumbled across it on youtube looking up hedge trimmer sharpening!

Def give the Dremel a go Conrad... I used an orange conical shape stone.... worked great! seriously looks and works like brand new... they don't take much material off at all

Someone once showed me blades that were sharpened by dealer and each tooth looked half as small as standard! is that normal??? looked sharp with factory angles but seems like could only sharpen a couple of times that way until there was nothing left of teeth lol

The other option I'm thinking of with the batteries is to use that small stihl bag but have two handheld batteries connected with 2 separate cables - that way when one runs out just swap cable over??? just an idea anyway

l did this one a few years back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkPUPUL7J2Y

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

I was just going to use a flat file, but yeah Dremel would be heaps quicker. I wasn't overly impressed with the sharpening job the shop did either - looked like they took too much off the underside of the blade, it had clearly been filed/ground on an angle instead of flat to just take the burrs off. Might have a play this arvo.

Taking off half the blade... definitely not normal! Unless each tooth had some serious damage and that's what was needed to get it back to a straight cutting edge..?

That idea of 2 separate cables would work - whatever you can do to minimise downtime!

Edit > Cheers Redeye, just saw your vid.

allrighty then Re: Stihl battery power

Bought the FSA130r a couple weeks ago.... absolute piece of crap
    Battery line trimmers are just toys and any serious contractor should not waste their time with them
    I'm just gonna stick to petrol and get the ****en job done!

Edit > Just kidding... it's the best line trimmer I've ever used

FFS you had me going for minute there

Tell us more about it

Very Helpful Member

If anyone is interested in the AEG 58v series they currently have a promotion buy the kit which has the brushcutter and the older style blower 2 batteries and charger for $599 and get a chainsaw via redemption http://www.bunnings.com.au/aeg-58v-b...o-kit_p0018771
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

battery gear is not not vairable speed, all other tools are now. a vairable trigger would be a must for me I need to slow trimming around hazards . power drills were 2 speed 30 years ago "old technology" and they were shyt compared to vairable triggers.

need to spin anti clockwise for me....

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by Macka View Post
    battery gear is not not vairable speed, all other tools are now. a vairable trigger would be a must for me I need to slow trimming around hazards . power drills were 2 speed 30 years ago "old technology" and they were shyt compared to vairable triggers.
    Incorrect blanket statement.
    I have plenty of battery gear with variable speed, both Ego & Stihl, including line trimmers that spin anti clockwise.

Cheers Fred.

Page 20 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast