Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Stihl battery power

Default Re: Stihl battery power

Pros n cons are good as long as they are constructive

anyway back to the FSA130r haha!

- to clarify the head spins 'normally' (anti-clockwise) same as the FSA90r

- the trigger is variable... the guy in the video is probably using a trimmer for the first time lol - if it wasn't variable, it would have a push button trigger or switch like a dyson stick vac or something

-needs to be powered by cable... so battery is either on a belt or in a bag or powered by a backpack battery.
    -comes standard with a universal guard which is quiet big- assuming universal means it's suitable for a blade or regular line trimming head.

As soon as I got it, I removed the bigger guard - the smaller Stihl guard I like (from the kombi line trimmer attachment) bolts straight on without modification (assuming most other Stihl guards probably do too)
    I also swapped the head for my fave - Stihl Autocut 25-2 - I've tried just about every different type mentioned on this forum and my personal preference are these - light weight, balanced, and can pre wind spools if you wish - also found less fiddly than speed feed and even stihls version of them (which is the standard head for this machine)

The machine has 3 settings - they are basically maximum speeds 1, 2 or 3

It is very powerful and low down torque is incredible compared to petrol equivalent

It automatically increases power / revs as needed..... like a governor in a mower but lightning quick

So for example you have on low setting 1 trimming some light grass etc ...you could just keep the trigger fully depressed (and yes can vary that speed if needed) and if you suddenly came across an overgrown patch.... you could just keep going and instead of bogging down it instantly compensates and increases power/revs

It's a different experience especially compared to a 2 stroke!

If you have it on level 3 and press the trigger to max without load... it doesn't spin all that fast... but as soon as it hits heavy grass it immediately powers through!

Haven't found any extremely long thick grass to give it the ultimate test yet... but have been through some fairly heavy stuff on a couple of jobs so far

-----

what I'm comparing too:

My everyday trimmer is a KM130r.... they are a beast and I don't think there is a better model out there in that weight range... It's been at home in the garage since I got the FSA130R... I'm waiting a little longer and if the battery stuff will get through the heavy stuff... its going on ebay. If its not quiet there I still might sell and just get a heavier model clearing saw like a Fs460 or 560 and use the battery stuff for everything else

I've got the FSA90r and have been using that on regular cut only jobs... and it's good for that .... but def not a petrol replacement.. very efficient using on small jobs

A few years ago I thought I'd buy a FS85r (25cc 2 stroke) for regular jobs as it was lighter than the 130.... used it for a couple of days and while it was smooth and easy to start... I could not handle the drop in power...sold it on ebay that week...
    Same story with the electric start backpack blower BR450... nice gimmick but was way louder, way thirstier and way weaker than the br600 or 700!
    I mention this because that's exactly what would happen to the FSA trimmers if they weren't making my life easier.

Even though I wish there was no external battery required, the machine is good enough that I'll put up with it .... so I picked up the ar3000 back pack battery today

If you have jobs where you are trimming for more than say 15 mins straight I'd say get one of these and a backpack battery straight away.

If you only do regular residential lawns you might find the hassle of wearing a belt / bag / backpack to power it, not worth it

Or if you're trying to reduce the toll of brush cutting on your shoulders etc then def pick one up in the shop ... nice and balanced and fairly light.... much lighter than the km130.. not sure how it compares to the average 25cc 2 stroke though

couldn't be bothered writing all that but if it wasn't for NLALM , I wouldn't have tried the HLA65 haha

I forgot to mention.... and possibly most importantly ... it's just generally pleasant to use - low vibrations, quiet sounding - 90% of the noise comes from the actual line spinning... wouldn't even need ear muffs otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    shame this has happened ...Fred is so correct.... this could end the forum me thinks ..... but life goes on ..hey Fred Go sainters next year hahahaha
    Over & out was just meant for this thread for a while.
    Just a little frustrated with the negativity & the way Mackas post was structured.

Battery gear isn't the be & end all & its well worth discussing but ...........

Yer, a big GO THE SAINTERS but, its been quite disappointing so far this year!

Cheers Fred.

That is the best, and most convincing, review l've read yet. Cheers Chris you might have me over to the dark side sooner than l expected.......

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post
    Just a little frustrated with the negativity & the way Mackas post was structured.

Cheers Fred.
    onya Fred..battery is no doubt the way for the future and its good to discuss all brands / models...when you are old you tend to be like the young bull trotting down to the back paddock filled with cows with the old bull....young was says lets race down a make love to that cow ( being rather polite here lol ) and the old bull says naaaaa lets just stroll down and make love to all of them lol....keep on with the battery but try and get the right info into the manufactures and build a great machine....dont worry about the Saints new coach coming this way soon i hear on the grapevine from very close resources inside deep inside the club ...

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    onya Fred..battery is no doubt the way for the future and its good to discuss all brands / models...when you are old you tend to be like the young bull trotting down to the back paddock filled with cows with the old bull....young was says lets race down a make love to that cow ( being rather polite here lol ) and the old bull says naaaaa lets just stroll down and make love to all of them lol....keep on with the battery but try and get the right info into the manufactures and build a great machine....dont worry about the Saints new coach coming this way soon i hear on the grapevine from very close resources inside deep inside the club ...
    Yeah, was wondering if he would have as much luck as Bucks has had over the last few years!!!
    May need a few more personnel though

Cheers Fred.
    Sorry Fred, the post wasnt worded right I have no intention to upset anyone or sleg battery gear. I was going to spend $1500 on the kit and did some extra research and the video i seen just amazed me the way the guy was using its was rediculous. Fred your Forum input and everyone elses that post is valuebale to everyone that comes here. and not many do.

Battery gear is the future, everyone know that, its just what gear is the go, even the latest comments on EGO make me hold back on there gear because of quaility and custommer support and the Stihl Runtime concerns me as I can be trimming for 45min straight and 3hr in a 8hr day of mowing.

Considering there is probably 20,000+ lawnies in austrailia and the forum only sees direct input from a maybe 50 lawnies. the contributors on this forum are to vauable to loose regarless of the content.

Cheers Macka

Quote Originally Posted by Macka View Post
    Sorry Fred, the post wasnt worded right I have no intention to upset anyone or sleg battery gear. I was going to spend $1500 on the kit and did some extra research and the video i seen just amazed me the way the guy was using its was rediculous. Fred your Forum input and everyone elses that post is valuebale to everyone that comes here. and not many do.

Battery gear is the future, everyone know that, its just what gear is the go, even the latest comments on EGO make me hold back on there gear because of quaility and custommer support and the Stihl Runtime concerns me as I can be trimming for 45min straight and 3hr in a 8hr day of mowing.

Considering there is probably 20,000+ lawnies in austrailia and the forum only sees direct input from a maybe 50 lawnies. the contributors on this forum are to vauable to loose regarless of the content.

Cheers Macka
    Thanx Macka, appreciated.
    Now we all move on but, yes, its also very important to point out negatives.
    I still think the weakest link in the battery range is the mowers.
    They suit MY needs but, if you regularly cut overgrown lawns that are long thick & or wet, battery mowers may not be your best bet (yet).

Cheers Fred.

Thanx Macka, appreciated.
    Now we all move on but, yes, its also very important to point out negatives.
    I still think the weakest link in the battery range is the mowers.
    They suit MY needs but, if you regularly cut overgrown lawns that are long thick & or wet, battery mowers may not be your best bet (yet).

Cheers Fred.
    Hi Fred,

I have been using Ego Mower to cut overgrown grass. the drawback is chewing a lot of juices

Quote Originally Posted by jal2007 View Post
    Hi Fred,

I have been using Ego Mower to cut overgrown grass. the drawback is chewing a lot of juices
    Yer, I only have the first gen, you have a more powerful motor.
    Things just keep improving, are you all battery now Jal ?

Cheers Fred.

Yer, I only have the first gen, you have a more powerful motor.
    Things just keep improving, are you all battery now Jal ?

Cheers Fred.
    Yes, Im except the RideOns . Also got inverter installed with solar panel

Quote Originally Posted by jal2007 View Post
    Yes, Im except the RideOns . Also got inverter installed with solar panel
    so is $250 for that Honda S/P OK?? Get back to me

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    so is $250 for that Honda S/P OK?? Get back to me
    how about we open a bidding now

Very Helpful Member

$220 ........
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

ham sanga and a Corona

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Page 22 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast