Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Stihl battery power

Default Re: Stihl battery power

Neat looking solar setup here for charging cordless batteries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4sVIf3x-o4

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post

Just noticed a comment on that youtube clip from the guy who posted the video

'My battery trimmer packed it in at around three months. I had it repaired under warranty it needed a new speed control switch and complete wiring harness replaced. I’m now back on the two stroke gear. Battery gear is really only good for home use'

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    You ask all the right questions

Initially I decided not to buy the machine as assumed the cord and putting on battery belt or bag etc would be a pain.
    Curiosity got the better of me so thought I'd try it with just the battery holster and the machine.
    It's great so I purchased the backpack battery.

I have my truck setup so that the backpack battery is already plugged in to machine and ready to go. The backpack battery also has a waist belt with clips & straps hanging all over the place... I cut them all off so just the shoulder straps remain. They are all built into the unit so there's no reversing this lol... wish I did it day one though!

Also I found the battery belt slow and uncomfortable.... so I got rid of that
    Better option is to take the battery holster (that attaches to belt where battery goes in) and put in a backpack or similar.... much more comfortable (just don't buy the $165 stihl one like i did... It's a ripoff)
    Even cheaper option is to just use a shoulder strap that comes with line trimmers, attach to holster and wear over shoulder (not that comfortable)

That holster retails for almost $200 and then using with fsa130r the AP batteries won't last long so backpack battery is way to go (holster is good to have as backup to use AP batteries if backpack battery flat) If I have a small lawn I just grab the FSA90r instead

Holster in backpack is best option for less power hungry machine like hsa94t (no point having a big battery on your back while doing hedging as the small batteries will go for an hour plus on heavy duty hedges)

----
    So to summarise I use the backpack battery with the FSA130r and It doesn't slow me down (similar to using a backpack blower but without starting the engine)

And the AP holster in a backpack to power the HSA94t
    What backpack do you use? Any pics of your setup?

I just got a message from mower shop that my bga86 is waiting for me

It's been 8 years since they released the bga85 and it really was the weakest link in all my Stihl Battery gear.... so will be good to have the new one.

I think this blower would be an ideal entry into the battery world for anyone sitting on the sidelines. It's 15 newtons blowing force which is same as the petrol bg86
    It has the battery slot so no need for a cable and backpack battery etc

https://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Produ...Skin-Only.aspx
    Chris have you got an update on the bga86? I asked my stihl guy about it a month ago but he wasn't aware of it. My old blower is just hanging on.

Definetely looks promising, let us know what you think. How is the fsa90r going?
    Yes Chris what about the fsa90r? I have one on order.

I'm glad I read this. I thought battery power was the future for commercial contractors
    Line trimmer lasting only 3 months is a waste of $1000

Quote Originally Posted by Cleanicall View Post
    I'm glad I read this. I thought battery power was the future for commercial contractors
    Don't know where you read that. I've had a Stihl FSA 90 since 2016. Never needed any servicing or parts at all.

Saw the current price of the Stihl HTA 85 pole pruner today $799. FMD. I paid $599 for one in March 2017. Surely the Aussie dollar hasn't depreciated that much. The design hasn't changed either as far as I can tell.

Definetely looks promising, let us know what you think. How is the fsa90r going?
    I just checked my receipt and I've had it since July 2017 no issues except casing is a bit rough as I'm pretty rough with my stuff

I really wanted this to work out for me but unfortunately... I've done the research on charging in vehicle and maths don't add up as battery capacities are too high. Good as a backup or if you only run one or 2 smaller batteries but def not worthwhile for heavier users. (Cheaper and easier to buy extra batteries)

Just noticed a comment on that youtube clip from the guy who posted the video

'My battery trimmer packed it in at around three months. I had it repaired under warranty it needed a new speed control switch and complete wiring harness replaced. I’m now back on the two stroke gear. Battery gear is really only good for home use'
    Got a lemon I guess ?
    Although he was using the fsa90r which is great for regs but I wouldn't call it a petrol replacement for heavier going. I can work twice as fast as him with my homeowner fsa130r though

Quote Originally Posted by Crankitup View Post
    What backpack do you use? Any pics of your setup?
    I've been using the ar3000 for over 2 years and it still works like the day i bought it. Haven't noticed any drop in runtime at all. Easily paid for itself in fuel and oil savings. I've just ordered a couple of the newer ar3000L batteries. They fit directly onto new commercial mower without a cable and also power the other handheld tools when connected to harness.

Quote Originally Posted by jd View Post
    Chris have you got an update on the bga86? I asked my stihl guy about it a month ago but he wasn't aware of it. My old blower is just hanging on.
    It's awesome, so smooth and quiet yet same power as bg86 petrol. It's definitely out I bought mine 29th April.... Maybe he is trying to clear old model first?

Quote Originally Posted by jd View Post
    Yes Chris what about the fsa90r? I have one on order.
    It's great for regulars but won't replace petrol for heavier jobs. Has much more power when used with the AP300s batteries or backpack battery... so would recommend the ap300s.
    The fsa130r was a petrol replacement for me ...way more powerful and higher rpms. Def recommend that be powered by ar3000l backpack battery

Quote Originally Posted by Cleanicall View Post
    Guess that's what warranties are for. No chance I'd go back to petrol

Quote Originally Posted by Crankitup View Post
    Don't know where you read that. I've had a Stihl FSA 90 since 2016. Never needed any servicing or parts at all.
    Same, breakdown and maintenance is almost non existent!

I just checked my receipt and I've had it since July 2017 no issues except casing is a bit rough as I'm pretty rough with my stuff

I really wanted this to work out for me but unfortunately... I've done the research on charging in vehicle and maths don't add up as battery capacities are too high. Good as a backup or if you only run one or 2 smaller batteries but def not worthwhile for heavier users. (Cheaper and easier to buy extra batteries)

Got a lemon I guess ?
    Although he was using the fsa90r which is great for regs but I wouldn't call it a petrol replacement for heavier going. I can work twice as fast as him with my homeowner fsa130r though

I've been using the ar3000 for over 2 years and it still works like the day i bought it. Haven't noticed any drop in runtime at all. Easily paid for itself in fuel and oil savings. I've just ordered a couple of the newer ar3000L batteries. They fit directly onto new commercial mower without a cable and also power the other handheld tools when connected to harness.

It's awesome, so smooth and quiet yet same power as bg86 petrol. It's definitely out I bought mine 29th April.... Maybe he is trying to clear old model first?

It's great for regulars but won't replace petrol for heavier jobs. Has much more power when used with the AP300s batteries or backpack battery... so would recommend the ap300s.
    The fsa130r was a petrol replacement for me ...way more powerful and higher rpms. Def recommend that be powered by ar3000l backpack battery

Guess that's what warranties are for. No chance I'd go back to petrol

Same, breakdown and maintenance is almost non existent!
    us to nil maintenance required

Very Helpful Member

not Stihl but if anyone's interested EGO trimmer http://www.totaltools.com.au/124089-...bo-kit-st1535e
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    not Stihl but if anyone's interested EGO trimmer http://www.totaltools.com.au/124089-...bo-kit-st1535e
    Thats a helluva deal !

Cheers Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post
    Thats a helluva deal !

Cheers Fred.
    That deal must of ended, I can't see from the link what it was, but it may have been, a multi-tool kit (either the hedger or pole saw), with then the other attachment (hedger or pole saw) included as a bonus for $699. Pretty good, especially as if you make the total cost up to over $800 you get another battery via redemption.
    I'm pretty happy with my Ego gear, 1x 2.5ah battery lasts for an average resi lawn, whipper and blower.
    I just haven't yet figured out the best diameter snipper line , and you can't load too much line into the snipper bump feed, or it just keeps cutting out.
    Cert' II & Cert' III Arboriculture
    Carpenter & Property Maintenance
    www.bluewatermaintenance.com.au

Double post, double post
    Last edited by Woodchip; 23-12-2020 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Double post
    Cert' II & Cert' III Arboriculture
    Carpenter & Property Maintenance
    www.bluewatermaintenance.com.au

Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast