Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Stihl battery power

Thumbs down Re: Stihl battery power

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    Thanks guys... I ended up trying the 65 at another dealer and it was much quieter! Needless to say I bought that one instead. I'm assuming the blades were either done up too tight or more likely bent in transit ...seemed like the motor had to work harder to move the blades.

As Fred said, the 85 is slightly quieter as the motor / blades are further away from operator but both very quiet compared to petrol units.
    HLA85 might be overkill for most but they are so good I also got the HTA85 polesaw which allowed me to get rid of my kombi system with extension shafts etc

Stihl dealers don't seem to be taking this stuff seriously either - Had to call several before I found one with the 65 in stock... One said he doesn't keep any on display at all?!

Is it the FSA90r trimmer you have Fred? If so whats it like? (Still waiting for dealer to get one in - none had it)
    No Chris, havent found a suitable battery snipper yet.
    I need a cutting path of 18-19" or better & a low profile bump feed head.
    Also, Im not that comfortable with the head spinning anti clockwise (on my Ego) but, Ive heard you can reverse the rotation by switching 2 wires ?
    I may try that at some stage but, it still won't meet my other requirements.

Wasn't actually that glowing an endorsement on workshop addict, (the stihl FSA90r).

Cheers Fred.

Default Re: Stihl battery power

Stihl FSA130 comes this Spring not sure if it will have the loop handle to start with just the handle bar type weighs 4.5kg. Looks the goods but the lack of a loop handle option will hurt sales.

Scoob I think you may be onto something, The loop handle is the fs 130r. They look good in the pictures, but run time with the 300 battery is only 20 mins , so if they had a battery that lasted an hour it could be viable. Use maybe 4 batteries a day, I could live with that. Now I will have to talk to my dealer and find out what the story is with getting one.

FSA130 looks great.. only thing is you cant put the battery directly into the machine (same as the bga100)
    they also have a fsa130r and hedge trimmers that you can check out on the German Stihl site, that are all without the battery compartments
    Capture.jpgCapture2.jpg
    I wish they would make 2 versions of those models (one with battery compartment and one without) If you're doing small jobs where you just want to pick up a machine and go then you want an all in one unit
    I just bought the bga85 for this reason... I'd love the bga100 but I want it to be practical for small jobs. The 85 is actually pretty good for small regular lawns though
    I might try the FSA90r for this same reason ... will let you guys know if worthwhile

Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post
    Not something I would use, but just noticed Stihl have something similar that you could pick up for about $240ish
    Capture3.jpg

That's a bummer about the backpack . I did think that maybe the case, because it looks like the motor is not at the head like on the other ones

Yeah chris if you buy the 90 keep us updated with your thoughts.

Now I'm not so sure about the backpack battery. It says on the stihl site the recommended battery is the ap 300, the backpack batteries are ar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmnFtpvdgkkt

By the looks of this it is backpack battery only

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAR7UgelWqg

Anyone speak French

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psDefEko3p0

Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post
    Now I'm not so sure about the backpack battery. It says on the stihl site the recommended battery is the ap 300, the backpack batteries are ar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmnFtpvdgkkt

By the looks of this it is backpack battery only

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAR7UgelWqg

Anyone speak French

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psDefEko3p0

From what I can work out, you can still use whatever battery you like ... however if you're not using the backpack battery, you will have to use something like this:
    or without the belt carrying setup:

Capture6.jpg

sorry cant work out how to insert big pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post
    -9 last night !!!!! in Canberra
    What happens to the homeless ?

Cheers Fred.
    Not real sure (doubt anyone would survive without proper sleeping gear and a source of warmth) but its a good incentive to not be homeless.

You guys would have loved the Qld Garden Expo... I was there last weekend - Stihl had a massive display with demo areas for the blower, line trimmer and hedge trimmers. Easily the biggest display in the whole expo. And everything they had on display was electric! No petrol gear at all! That signals a very big shift in the market I'd say, and their display was packed with people as well. Big opportunity missed by Husqvarna...

How much are those FSA130..? Looks like they are finally catching up with Husky... and I bet the price will be as well...

From my use of packpack batteries I can tell you that not having a battery in the tool improves the ergonomics out of sight. So much easier to handle and way way less fatigue on bigger jobs. But then if you are looking at backpack batteries that's where you'll spend some big money and it could be better in the long term to spend a bit more at the start, and spend right. For me the big Husky backpack battery is a bit too heavy and bulky. All the runtime you need tho, and even though it takes weight off the tool it's not so good if you can feel the weight go straight on your back.

You guys should really demo some Pellenc gear if you're looking to go the backpack route. The NSW/QLD rep is a good guy, he will come to one of your jobs and you can use the tools on a job that you're familiar with and you can gauge the job time which is an important factor to take into account as well. All the Pellenc gear is powered by backpack batteries of different size as required by your needs, but they are nowhere near as heavy or bulky as the Husky battery. They have better quality lithium cells so they get better runtime from less cells, which means way less weight. Costs more, but it makes life a breeze... true commercial grade tools and honestly their backpacks don't get in the way and are so much lighter that you almost don't realise they're there. I am going to end up with Pellenc gear eventually, no doubt about it.

The man for Pellenc gear is Troy - tell him that Conrad from Volt Mowing sent you. You can reach him through his website: http://www.electroprune.com.au/

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Yes a few guys on here have had a look at the pellenc gear, me included, the problem is the cost. Its out of most guys reach. You would probably have to sell a kidney to be able to afford that mower. It does look good though

I have said it before, but really it is going to happen, battery gear is going to be huge, I hedged most of yesterday with my stihl stuff, it amazes me what it can do. I even had a lady come up and ask me about it, and was going to tell her son who is a contractor about it.

I think if I could buy a decent mower and whipper snipper that could handle it, I would go all battery power. And target that market

...............................double post sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    Would love to try one, how much are they and do they have a commercial warranty?

This is interesting too. http://www.pellenc.com/gct/produits/...immer/?lang=en

The swivel head and telescopic pole are interesting as are the claims

Professional
    Power equivalent to a 30cc brush cutter.
    Designed for both brush cutting and finishing work.
    3 interchangeable cutting heads for different uses.
    Battery life for up to a half a day

Yep, many sceptics are now on the turn, for want of a better phrase
    Don't worry about the beer bobs, its the lycra ladies that are the threat.
    Once they cotton on that at the push of a button, they can get all the exercise they want, look out personal trainers & lawnies alike.
    Luckily, I don't think many might be all that keen to have a go on the whippy.

Seriously though, battery gear will be primarily be marketed towards the far bigger market, the home owner.
    But, the contractor will also benefit from the the advancements in technology, it just keeps going.
    Loved the look of that Pellenc mower, the whippy not so much.
    Its still only a 960w motor on the mower but, I think that some may expect too much from their mowers.
    IMHO if its not a LAWN, don't mow it with a lawn mower.

Enough waffle.

Cheers Fred.

Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast