Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Hilux D4D help

Default Hilux D4D help

Would anybody with a Hilux with at Diesel 3 litre 1KD FTV engine help me out?

Mine threw a new serpentine engine belt on the weekend. I've got a new belt and got 3 new idler pulleys for it.

I bought them locally, but I noticed an ebay seller had the same kit with some info.

The pulley on the tensioner at the bottom is no problem.

The other 2, one is 70mm outside diam and the other is 80mm OD.

Ebay seller says 70mm pulley goes between the air con and the alternator, and the 80mm one goes between the air con & the water pump.

The pulleys on mine are the other way around.

Just for my peace of mind, I wonder if someone might measure theirs. Just measure the OD of top one, between the A/C & water pump as it's the most obvious one and easiest to get to. TIA

Default Re: Hilux D4D help

just change the belt, i wouldn't replace the idler pulleys if they still turn they do **** all.

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    Would anybody with a Hilux with at Diesel 3 litre 1KD FTV engine help me out?
    Just logged on 9.45pm
    I've a late 2014 SR5 3.0ltr Turbo D4D Diesel, can measure and photograph with tape measure across belt and photo in the engine close up as best I can if still needed by tomorrow after work
    Not sure about 1KD FTV stuff without looking hard for a name plate within.
    Cheers Garry

Thanks Gazza. I'm pretty sure it's the same set up '05 to '15. Just a measurement of the top idler pulley will be good (70 or 80mm).

I put the new ones on the same as the old ones were as I think they were original. The ebay seller might have his info wrong, but would be good to know for sure.

I got a new timing belt/water pump etc put in a month ago and they put on a new drive/fan belt on at the same time. It's only lasted a month and threw the belt 20km from home, so trying to eliminate reasons why it might have done it. The old idlers had well worn grooves on the surface, and may have done 300k km so due for replacement.

To make it worse, the broken belt must have slapped a hose & snapped the fitting out of the plastic top tank of the radiator. Can't be repaired apparently, so new radiator arriving tomorrow.
    I don't need this stuff happening mid winter.

Least it happened in the slow down of winter work wise, also in the $$$ slow down period too which would be a pain.

Looks like some changes made along the way. Mine being the latest 3.00ltr D4D with 5sp Auto before the New Gen 2.8Ltr arrived.

Only measures 25mm. Not sure if that helps.

Measured across the top idler pulley
    Cheers Garry

Sorry Garry. It's the diameter of that pulley that I'm after. Same set up as mine.

You're right at this time of year the work isn't backing up too bad yet but the cashflow has takes a hit.

Ok= no prob's, didn't read your post properly last night,

Not matching your pulley it appears.

Top Pulley

Just incase this assists too whilst hood up and camera in hand.
    Cheers Garry

I have an 07 or 08 D4D. My top right (the smaller shiny pulley on the right on Garry's second pic) pulley is 80mm OD.

Hi Mick. Yep that's the one. Strange mine is on wrong. This morning I was talking to my friend that owned it from new and he said he'd never replaced the idlers so it must have come out of the factory wrong. Obviously doesn't make much difference anyway.

Good to see you're still lurking about Mick.

Thanks for all your effort Garry. I should have put a pic up in the first post.

Yeah mate, Im a lurker! hehe Hope you get it sorted.