Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: cox ride on Briggs engine - no spark (Heeeeeelp)

Default cox ride on Briggs engine - no spark (Heeeeeelp)

Turned the mower off today to clean the deck before putting it on the trailer.

Went to start it and it turned over fine but wouldn't start.

After turnig over a few more times I checked the fuel tank and it was empty.

Easy I thought . Filled it up. Still didn't start. Bugger it.

Thought it might be starving so loosened the carby inlet fuel hose and fuel sprays out so it had fuel.

Thought I'd flooded it but didn't have the spark wrench for it so waited a while. Still didn't start. Pushed it on to the trailer, went home.

After a couple of hours, tried to do a cold start, with and without choke, nothing.

Right, check the spark, took out the plug put it on the side of the engine, can't see a spark.

Took the plastic cowling off to make sure I'd grounded the plug properly, tried a few more times definetly no spark.

What'll I do now? Is there further testing to prove its the coil, how hard is it to replace the coil? Anyone else had this issue?

Seems like a strange coincidence that the coil would fail the same time as i run out of fuel. I want to be %100 sure it s the coil before I replace it.

Default Re: cox ride on Briggs engine - no spark (Heeeeeelp)

Check that the lead between the coil & spark plug boot isn't chafed through or earthing out.

Pull the kill wire off the coil & see if you have spark then. If so, your kill wire between the coil & start switch might be earthing out or the switch might be faulty.

Check the gap between the coil & flywheel magnets. Slip a business card between is usually near enough.

Had a friend just last week lost spark after running out of fuel with his chainsaw. His HT lead was chafed, so coincidences do happen

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    Check that the lead between the coil & spark plug boot isn't chafed through or earthing out.

Pull the kill wire off the coil & see if you have spark then. If so, your kill wire between the coil & start switch might be earthing out or the switch might be faulty.

Check the gap between the coil & flywheel magnets. Slip a business card between is usually near enough.

Had a friend just last week lost spark after running out of fuel with his chainsaw. His HT lead was chafed, so coincidences do happen
    No spark with or without the kill wire connected. The gap between the coil and flywheel looks ok.

I'll check the lead tommorrow but its looking like the coil will need replacing given the lead is moulded into the coil anyway.

Thanks edbeek.

Steveo, have you tested for spark with a different plug?

^ yes, do this 1st....my cox/briggs plays up/dies fairly regularly - its the plug that connects to the carby solenoid, one of these days l'll do something about it

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    Steveo, have you tested for spark with a different plug?
    I did but can't remember if I did it with the kill lead off so will double check it tommorrow. I also haven't got a like for like replacement plug so I used another new plug laying round so I'd better get a replacement plug too.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    ^ yes, do this 1st....my cox/briggs plays up/dies fairly regularly - its the plug that connects to the carby solenoid, one of these days l'll do something about it
    Redeye, you've lost me, what do you mean by its the plug conected to the carby solenoid?

the plug that connects to the bottom of the carby(anti-backfire solenoid thingy) its become a bit loose and causes my donk to shutdown occasionally
    maxresdefault.jpg
    found the image online as example

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    the plug that connects to the bottom of the carby(anti-backfire solenoid thingy) its become a bit loose and causes my donk to shutdown occasionally
    maxresdefault.jpg
    found the image online as example
    I've often looked at that thingy mi jig and wondered what on earth its for. Whatever it is I don't think its the cause of my issue. I've ordered a new ignition coil.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    I've often looked at that thingy mi jig and wondered what on earth its for. Whatever it is I don't think its the cause of my issue. I've ordered a new ignition coil.
    It was the coil. $35 from evil bay. Phew.

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69