Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Husqvarna Battery Gear

Default Re: Husqvarna Battery Gear

Quote Originally Posted by conrad View Post
    The error codes - you mean the small red warning light on the control pad?? What do you mean by heavy going..? I have had that only once doing a heavily overgrown lot full of knee-waist high paspalum. My Shindaiwa T270 was struggling in that as well, but the Husky overheating was due to constant running on full power with lots of resistance. The motor casing was too hot to even hold bare skin against. Never had issues solely with ambient temperatures up here in Qld and certainly not in eco mode!

What have you been using the inverter for?

I guess it’s your choice whether you use the Husky 12V car charger or the 240V quick chargers. I think they might have their own inverter charger as well? I would just check whether you need a pure sine wave inverter or not...

I have thought about adding solar panels very etc. but it seems like a lot of expense and complicated setup. Another option is an alternator charger fitted to your vehicle, basically a bigger alternator that can pump out more juice. But I might just add a 2nd batter my + inverter eventually and see how it goes...

Never even thought about test & tag... will have to check the rules on that!

Warranty: I got it wrong, there was never a 3 year warranty. But I looked up old posts and I mentioned a 2 year commercial warranty and we were all pouring over these details comparing against Stihl, AEG, etc. back then so they have definitely changed the warranty period since late 2015... Not a biggie tho... it’s only ~$360 for the line trimmer skin so if you get 2+ years of flat out use before something goes wrong that’s pretty good! Plus no maintenance, low noise & zero fumes in the meantime! I think I might just buy a new one and keep the old one, replace faulty buttons myself and try to hack the rotation and eco mode buttons so it starts in eco with the proper rotation.
    Had it from a previous job.

My new trailer is getting built this week so may look into setting something up.
    Running 4 wheel electric brakes so also need to get a brake controller fitted to my car.
    Auto elec and trailer builder must have some knowledge on what could be used - for future also.

Hey Sterlo - I believe you dabble in this type of stuff

Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post
    That is so good , don't worry about long posts we all like to hear good honest reviews, especially when its such a big job.

Tomorrow is d day for me but after your post I feel very positive already.

First job is a funeral home so noise isn't an issue as nothing will wake the residents there.

With using battery hedge trimmers I have found I am more precise and actually do a better job.
    Took whippy out today - just charged battery, threw it in and off I went.
    Need to do a few things to get it right. The straight edges were not so straight today.

It feels like it will handle the workload BUT - gotta start it in counterclockwise!!! How??
    Gotta change the guard and run longer cord!! What are you guys doing??
    Gotta wind cord on the right way so I can bump when I want without changing!! Any tricks to this??
    Gotta get a new handle!! Have some lying about and will try

They take some getting used to SEM. I find the big blue bumper on the bottom the hardest to adapt to after using speed feeds for so long.
    Can't see much when you are doing vertical edges with that guard and the motor. I think I might get a 525 guard as I think it will fit straight on. It might allow a bit longer cord length too.

I just press the on/off button and then the rotation button straight away.
    It will bump feed out in either direction, but apparently feeds out better a/c if you spool up in the opposite way that the arrows on the spool tells you to.

I did a few regular resi's today & didn't find the cord too short. I even did the last one on ECO mode and it's still got plenty of torque.

Everyone seems to be complaining about the loop It's the exact same loop as what's on my 524L and I imagine the 525lst would be the same too.

Apparently Husq is aware that ppl don't like the c'wise start up and if there is a fix at some stage they should let us know.
    No other Husq heads will suit it and I couldn't get a speed feed fitted at all.

My dealer and I reckoned the 525LST guard would go straight on. Just look at how the line cord in circulating out of the spool head as being on a greater angle it may expose the line further out of the guard and flick debris when fitting the 525LST guard. I'm not sure, just a thought to check before operating, cant be worse than the guard fitted. May pay to have the trial guard on and compare directly to a 525LST in a static state. I can do that when I get some time as I've 4 X 525lst guards. But I'm too busy at the moment.
    Also if the guard of a 525LST allows longer cord length due to the shorter head of the battery head plus being raked on sharper angle and exposing the line on the rotating outer edge. Then that's maybe a not a path to take, if longer cord length then that may flick stones too.Again, I don't know yet just raising the thought to check.

I studied the battery guard today and reckon there two possible reasons contributing to the occasional stone flick. Gona a try a minor added on factory style plastic moulded fix, by not taking away any of the present guard to expose myself to WSP. Don't want to post the remedy on a public forum.But its worth a try.
    Will trial my fix soon as it can be removed quite easily if not effective without any damage to original guard as sold. Got to becareful with WSP.

edbeek, there nothing wrong with the supplied D handle that's the same as a 525LST, just needs to raked over on sharp angle away from the horizontal fitment to the right to compensate for the extra raked angle in the electric head.

I used mine again all day and on a rough property. TB 2.7mm cord in IMO is the way to go, early last week I bought a drum of 2.4mm and had not used it yet. Swapped it over today.
    Cheers Garry

Alright I ran it all day today did 10 lawns 9 with the battery whipper, one with the 525 .

I find it good I'm not totally sold just yet , It is much better with 2.4 mm trailblazer I, I haven't tried 2.7 yet . It has got the power to do the job.

I don't like the angle of the head, I find it harder to flat edge with that angle, but if you turn the d handle as gaz says, it is excellent for vertical edging, I put a tennis raquet grip on when I got home today and it feels more comfortable, I would like the same handle as on the 525.

The line length that it allows is to short , so I unscrewed the line cutter, this has made a difference Gaz try it tomorrow and see what you think. I have done this with my stihl whipper and that little extra length makes a difference .

I don't like the head I am used to speed feeds , its a pain in the arse having to muck around winding cord on.
    Battery run time is very good, I did 3 lawns and one was a unit complex and only lost one bar, but the next 2 bars seemed to go quickly and the last bar lasted as long as the first. It was its first charge so we will see how it goes. I did the 9 lawns using one full battery and one bar on the next. I only used the petrol to compare it and after the battery the fuel didn't feel as nice to use and felt harder to control when edging, you guys might want to try that too.

Overall it is a great little machine I'm really looking forward to trying the stihl on Wednesday so will be able to give a good comparison
    You just have to remember it is a different experience to using petrol. I know I was a bit the same when I started using battery hedge trimmers, and now I wouldn't use anything but.

I'm going to really have a look and see if a speed feed can be modified to fit

NLALM,

10 lawns, your working too hard.
    Using TB 2.7mm it lasts a lot longer than 2.4. you will notice it. On that mega job I did yesterday I re spooled twice with 2.7, Yep only twice amazing (facebook word).
    Re torque, it's got heaps and in even in Eco mode which is all I use now most times unless it was feral paspalum then disengage eco. It comes to a complete stop with dead Agapanthus storks winding in the head which are about now.
    Re the line cutter, it can be bent back a few mm on the metal bracket to give a few mm of extra line if desired. I haven't done it yet, but it can be done with care not cut ones fingers.

Guys,
    Keep using the battery whippy and you will get to know it and like it more and more as I've found out. Peoples here know I was negative towards Battery stuff and I'm changing, whilst I'm still not sold on the blower as mentioned before.
    Cheers Garry

I just went and fitted a spare 524 guard on the battery trimmer.

IMG_20180205_173403rs.jpg

It fits & works ok. The line cutter works. It cuts the line about 35mm longer than the original. I measured 470mm tip to tip.
    The motor knows it's driving the extra line, but it cuts good, even in ECO mode.

I never used that guard on the petrol trimmer as they also gave me a smaller one (broken one in pics) & that's the one I would use on the battery trimmer.

IMG_20180205_173617rs.jpg IMG_20180205_173821rs.jpg

Didn't check anything else re safety etc.... just if it fit & worked.

Would probably void warranty if fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    My new trailer is getting built this week so may look into setting something up.
    Running 4 wheel electric brakes so also need to get a brake controller fitted to my car.
    I had the two front wheels electric braked on my trailer when it was built 7.5 yrs ago and the hilux manual single workmate had no problems what so ever .Then came the dual cab auto SR5 and it couldn't handle it. At every
    6 month service and my front hilux brakes were juddering badly and I drive/brake with absolute care to save the brakes and use auto to slow me on hill declines etc. Had both disks machined several times and disks replaced at 18,000km and 45,000km all under warranty. Toyota H/O said no to some of the work but local dealer was Ok and did it without hassle.
    But said now that 3 years is up your on your own with it. So immediately got the rear lazy wheels electric braked as well, No problems now, when the trailer brakes have done some repetitive braking if pulling up at customers house I some touch the rim on all 4 wheels to see if their all the same heat. Otherwise there may be some further adjustment required at home. Have a Redarc Tow Pro module system with led dial controller integrated in the dash with the other switches on the right under side near key iginition and module buried behind dash. Toyota fitted at pre delivery.

Older models of Redarc prior to Sept 2014 are not compatable with ESControl as I found out and Redarc sent an immediate replacement and Toyota dealer refitted it. I tow a tandem Jayco at times which has Electronic Stability control. So make sure you don't get old stock if you get a Tow Pro. But old stock should be gone by now
    Cheers Garry

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    I just went and fitted a spare 524 guard on the battery trimmer.

IMG_20180205_173403rs.jpg

It fits & works ok. The line cutter works. It cuts the line about 35mm longer than the original. I measured 470mm tip to tip.
    The motor knows it's driving the extra line, but it cuts good, even in ECO mode.

I never used that guard on the petrol trimmer as they also gave me a smaller one (broken one in pics) & that's the one I would use on the battery trimmer.

IMG_20180205_173617rs.jpg IMG_20180205_173821rs.jpg

Didn't check anything else re safety etc.... just if it fit & worked.

Would probably void warranty if fitted.
    Good work, re warranty, my dealer was going to fit it for me upon purchase, so he wouldn't of rejected warranty. But each dealer is different I guess.
    Cheers Garry

Cheers edbeek for the tip on the guards. Well I ended up back at the dealer today - figured I can’t handle the rest of this week with my old Core Gasless line trimmer which only has 3x 6Ah batteries! So I picked up a new line trimmer while my other one is waiting for a look on the workbench, asked about the guards and he gave me a couple to try.

77B6C822-C8EC-4F5B-8769-ED0473C1EE67.jpg

I fitted the middle one (“L” shaped guard) because I figured it would give best view of the line, didn’t get to use it all that much and will keep using it this week but so far the guard seems 10x better!! The line is *heaps* longer with this guard as it’s simply bigger, th cutter is much further back from the head. Took me a bit to get used to but I really like the bigger cutting diameter! (Keeping in mind that I have used battery trimmers 99.9% of the time i’ve been in business...) I reckon you guys that are used to petrol gear would feel more at home! I still had the 2mm line in the head and as mentioned the motor does notice the extra line length, but I was still using Eco mode fine, it’s a bit of a trade off because I find the faster tip speed (longer line = faster tip rotation) cuts heaps better than having a bigger motor etc., but it will likely chew a bit more battery.

Will take some more pics tomorrow!

Kind of wish I never saw you guys invoices, paid $480 for the trimmer today. Haha. I guess that’s what you get buying one-off skin only. I asked about the Bli300 (9Ah) battery, they didn’t even know about it yet. Since it’s a special order they can’t do better than the $499 retail... ��
    Wonder if your local dealerships would do the good price for me and freight it to Bris... ��

Conrad I will probably go to Bris soon but wont be for a couple of weeks. Prob could meet you at Kilcoy or thereabouts sooner. I paid $275 for my 300's. I can check to see if he has any in stock & what deal he can do.

Quote Originally Posted by conrad View Post
    Cheers edbeek for the tip on the guards. Well I ended up back at the dealer today - figured I can’t handle the rest of this week with my old Core Gasless line trimmer which only has 3x 6Ah batteries! So I picked up a new line trimmer while my other one is waiting for a look on the workbench, asked about the guards and he gave me a couple to try.

77B6C822-C8EC-4F5B-8769-ED0473C1EE67.jpg

I fitted the middle one (“L” shaped guard) because I figured it would give best view of the line, didn’t get to use it all that much and will keep using it this week but so far the guard seems 10x better!! The line is *heaps* longer with this guard as it’s simply bigger, th cutter is much further back from the head. Took me a bit to get used to but I really like the bigger cutting diameter! (Keeping in mind that I have used battery trimmers 99.9% of the time i’ve been in business...) I reckon you guys that are used to petrol gear would feel more at home! I still had the 2mm line in the head and as mentioned the motor does notice the extra line length, but I was still using Eco mode fine, it’s a bit of a trade off because I find the faster tip speed (longer line = faster tip rotation) cuts heaps better than having a bigger motor etc., but it will likely chew a bit more battery.

Will take some more pics tomorrow!

Kind of wish I never saw you guys invoices, paid $480 for the trimmer today. Haha. I guess that’s what you get buying one-off skin only. I asked about the Bli300 (9Ah) battery, they didn’t even know about it yet. Since it’s a special order they can’t do better than the $499 retail... 🙁
    Wonder if your local dealerships would do the good price for me and freight it to Bris... 🤔
    Can only ask! Would you like me to?

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    Conrad I will probably go to Bris soon but wont be for a couple of weeks. Prob could meet you at Kilcoy or thereabouts sooner. I paid $275 for my 300's. I can check to see if he has any in stock & what deal he can do.
    Hope that works out as $275 if you guys can connect, as its a great price. Re my dealer who I know well now over the years, selling me the 300 batteries at $250 each using a special contractor deal by contacting Husky Sydney. One thing we haven't really been talking about is fuel savings and I'm noticing it.
    Cheers Garry

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    Hope that works out as $275 if you guys can connect, as its a great price. Re my dealer who I know well now over the years, selling me the 300 batteries at $250 each using a special contractor deal by contacting Husky Sydney. One thing we haven't really been talking about is fuel savings and I'm noticing it.
    Don't think I will notice it. Just filled up with 160 litres. Need it again later this month

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    Don't think I will notice it. Just filled up with 160 litres. Need it again later this month
    Have you worked out the fuel consumption of the new Hustler SEM? I'm getting 7-10L/hr with the Ferris. I'd love to upgrade to an EFI

Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast