Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Husqvarna Battery Gear

Default Re: Husqvarna Battery Gear

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    Edit; Conrad you makes lots of sense with the latest post on using battery gear usage and operation, good post.
    What do you reckon about the New Triumph Bonneville “Black” Bobber beast I could see Dusty riding one in to Punt Rd for training.

Yeah I don't mind the look of that Bonneville, but I can't see myself on it. Which is strange considering that my taste in motorcycles can only be described as many and varied. Haha

The main squeeze:
    IMG_6994.jpg

The one I got to ride with the missus:
    IMG_3944.jpg

The one I've been working on & off for almost 7 years:

Nice to see a few other motorcyclists around here.
    Ok then, back on topic now!

John,

Feedback on Husky Commercial 60cm hand held hedger.
    # It's Heavy,
    # The activation ring within the 180deg handle is a pain in the "a", as it is temperamental in use and can shutdown the power in use with slight changes in hand grip to outer ring. Plus the ring and throttle lever can't be pressed at the same when powering up.
    # Whilst the Activation can be a pain, it a safety feature and prevents one from reaching/stretching to high whilst holding only the rear - so that's a good thing.
    # Cuts fine, but its new and has razor sharp blades.
    # All the usual fantastic battery advantages and no stone age associated petrol hassles.
    # Did I say its 'heavy, if not, it is. Best used with a 5.2amp lighter battery, not to be used with heavier 9.4amp battery IMO. Heaps of run time with the 5.2 battery.
    # Did I need to buy it, absolutely not when I have a fairly new Husky 60cm petrol one - but I luv my Toys.
    # Have done mega sized hedges all week so far with mainly the extended husky battery unit and to lessor extent the handheld.
    # Have I had a dream of Robin Williams "Jumanji" jungle hedges attacking me this week - no, but the week hasn't finished yet.
    # Which is best hedger to own if on a tighter budget, get the husky extended hedger first by a country mile, its so versatile and safer to use - great piece of gear the extended one with the 9.4amp battery.

# Re both battery hedgers, less noise, less to almost zero vibration, no noise when you stop for a moment to look at the job, safer, no petrol on the lawns if petrol cap not on properly or if you sit the unit on the lawn or customers pavements. Less petrol mixing and servo visits and customers and me like the less noise.
    # Should I be getting a Commission from the "Green's & Husky" promoting battery power, absolutely YES and back dated too.
    # Finally, yes Richmond will put away Carrrlton tonight.

Now we need a Honda SP 216 to be released as a Battery Mower that will run all day on a few insertable battery packs. But we might need a 30yr bank loan to pay for a couple.

Conrad, nice machines, I just took mine for a very quick spin after doing hedges all morning and early arvo to get the dust of me as I was working no more than two streets away from on both jobs.
    Stay upright!!!
    Cheers Garry

John,

Feedback on Husky Commercial 60cm hand held hedger.
    # It's Heavy,
    # The activation ring within the 180deg handle is a pain in the "a", as it is temperamental in use and can shutdown the power in use with slight changes in hand grip to outer ring. Plus the ring and throttle lever can't be pressed at the same when powering up.
    # Whilst the Activation can be a pain, it a safety feature and prevents one from reaching/stretching to high whilst holding only the rear - so that's a good thing.
    # Cuts fine, but its new and has razor sharp blades.
    # All the usual fantastic battery advantages and no stone age associated petrol hassles.
    # Did I say its 'heavy, if not, it is. Best used with a 5.2amp lighter battery, not to be used with heavier 9.4amp battery IMO. Heaps of run time with the 5.2 battery.
    # Did I need to buy it, absolutely not when I have a fairly new Husky 60cm petrol one - but I luv my Toys.
    # Have done mega sized hedges all week so far with mainly the extended husky battery unit and to lessor extent the handheld.
    # Have I had a dream of Robin Williams "Jumanji" jungle hedges attacking me this week - no, but the week hasn't finished yet.
    # Which is best hedger to own if on a tighter budget, get the husky extended hedger first by a country mile, its so versatile and safer to use - great piece of gear the extended one with the 9.4amp battery.

# Re both battery hedgers, less noise, less to almost zero vibration, no noise when you stop for a moment to look at the job, safer, no petrol on the lawns if petrol cap not on properly or if you sit the unit on the lawn or customers pavements. Less petrol mixing and servo visits and customers and me like the less noise.
    # Should I be getting a Commission from the "Green's & Husky" promoting battery power, absolutely YES and back dated too.
    # Finally, yes Richmond will put away Carrrlton tonight.

Now we need a Honda SP 216 to be released as a Battery Mower that will run all day on a few insertable battery packs. But we might need a 30yr bank loan to pay for a couple.

Conrad, nice machines, I just took mine for a very quick spin after doing hedges all morning and early arvo to get the dust of me as I was working no more than two streets away from on both jobs.
    Stay upright!!!
    Thanks Gazza. Don't do heaps of hedging and have 2 other guys who don't mind using the 2 x Shindy DH2200ST's. Also have 2 x Makita 18v hedge trimmers for light tidy up work so may wait a while and see if anything changes. Would prefer a multi as I use extended more than hand

The more I use the hedger the more I like it.

Don't feel the same about the whippy!

Get more excited with the blower than the whippy atm, and the blower is a very basic piece of equipment.

I use the whipper for every job every day and love it with 2.4mm for everyday use and 2.7 when I do my fortnightly mega job with 1.75hrs of non stop whipper vertical edging.
    I just don't like the extra angle on the cutting/motor head, makes it hard to whip horizontally under garden benches/tramps etc.

Re the Battery Blower,
    John could you please explain your likes and how your handling the battery life on them. I thought they were underpowered, twisted the wrist sideways and consumed way too much battery. I don't own one just demo'd one briefly.
    Both boat motors service last week, Hilux 1st out of cap service today and brakes done, and battery hand held +battery the week before all this. I hope I still dislike the blower after hearing what you have to say as the misses might start grumbling with the spending of late.
    Cheers Garry

I use the whipper for every job every day and love it with 2.4mm for everyday use and 2.7 when I do my fortnightly mega job with 1.75hrs of non stop whipper vertical edging.
    I just don't like the extra angle on the cutting/motor head, makes it hard to whip horizontally under garden benches/tramps etc.

Re the Battery Blower,
    John could you please explain your likes and how your handling the battery life on them. I thought they were underpowered, twisted the wrist sideways and consumed way too much battery. I don't own one just demo'd one briefly.
    Both boat motors service last week, Hilux 1st out of cap service today and brakes done, and battery hand held +battery the week before all this. I hope I still dislike the blower after hearing what you have to say as the misses might start grumbling with the spending of late.
    Just cant get excited with the whippy. Vertical edges is one thing, bump feed head. Cant hold it comfortably for long periods - not heavy just different than the petrol whippies. Will continue with it due to the lack of vibration.

Not excited with the blower but it has it's niche uses. Don't use handheld much now but it has more than enough power on full throttle. When school kids are in and we still have smaller areas to clean up - courtyards, outside classrooms etc they are much less noisy. Also around many commercial areas with offices when we do hedging, trimming they are very useful.

I don't find the wrist twisting, it's good with much less vibrations and I don't use hedge, whippy and blower enough to chew through 3 x 9.4 amp batteries. Winter time may be different with wet paths but as I said I really use it as a niche product!
    If I had to use it for residential jobs I would definitely NOT buy it. Most of my needs with this battery equipment is based on 1. vibrations then 2. weight.

I have added a extra small length to the blower pipe - a small 6-8 inch addition from my Shindy backpack blower. It feels more comfortable for me and it may contribute to less twisting that you experienced.

Thanks John for the summary. I know you have posted info on the blower at random before, guess the summary puts it all in one place.

I went to the local Husky dealer on my way home today and he gave me a brand new battery blower to demo for a couple of days.
    Will see how it goes, but some how I get a feeling I might own one soon.

Husky Battery Blower.jpg
    Cheers Garry

Id say that one might be yours before the week is over.
    As south east said it is very good for what he uses it for , I'm the same with mine, it aint no backpack but its very useful.

I'm on 1300sqm and fully detailed landscaped to the max with lots of pavements/gardens etc on multi levels within the hill side. Fired up the battery blower must say the battery blower was quite good and got gum leaf out of the clay paver joins. Misses liked it as she was sitting out there, Golden Retriever said when I pointed it at him,'F/O' dad and back off the turbo button too your messing up me fine coat that mum groomed today.

John, the twisting action is more of a G force type action in the wrist compared to almost nil with the petrol model. Like the zero noise when you stop, cruise button couldn't work out that, but never used the feature on the petrol gear. Used one full bar and was into bar three usage a bit to do my own joint front and back and its garden/pavements were in good nick to begin with. $499 RRP reckon it would be $380 hummmmm!!! Plus I could require another 9.4amp as I would using both hedgers, whipper and maybe the amp hungry blower. So $380+$250=$630 Ohhhh

But its just so good not using petrol for all the reasons we battery users have all posted. Plus when I get older than what I am 59, I'll be using battery gear to maintain my own property to the day I can't.
    Cheers Garry

Cheers Garry

Sit back and have a couple of quiet ones Gazza!

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    Sit back and have a couple of quiet ones Gazza!
    Check PM......
    Cheers Garry

Well bought the Husky Battery Blower today (Easter Sat) and another 9.4 battery. Now have 4X 9.4 & 1X 5.2, the 5.2 will be used in the 60cm Hedger as run time will be excellent and weight savings as its a heavy hedger. Plus used as required on "work me back side off type days". Won't go any higher in Battery numbers as anymore is unnecessary and beyond that one should start thinking of inverter onboard charging or using customers outside power point for say all day jobs.
    So now battery Blower, Whipper, 60cm hedger & Extended Hedger. I use the battery whipper full time now too.
    So happy to have converted to all the battery benefits and for the guys not using battery the benefits are many, I was 'real negative towards battery but not now. I started getting battery gear late Jan 2018 after I noticed the ringing noise in my right ear only as mentioned in prior posts. Some of my info type here is overlapping with previous posts.
    I've had a couple of 'very brief moments where the ringing has stopped. But its still there even now as I type. But I'm reacting and doing whatever I can ASAP regardless of the several Grand spent to minimise further ear damage, especially the right ear that sat so close to the previously used petrol whipper. The battery benefits are far greater than noise by the way, even the benefits to the customers come into the equation.

My research into major US green acre type Field Events can't see the newer blower release coming anytime soon, just the new robbo looking designed standon Mower, New battery chain saws and chrome chains, new 21inch self propelled mow and other bits and pieces in the battery range. The new dual battery insert21 inch SP mower is not a commercial mower from want I've read and knowing Au it prob won't come our way.
    My dealer has said if a new more powerful was released sooner than they think he will take today's purchase back down the track re trade-in. That's a pretty good offer.

Edit, plus the GST for Jan-March BAS will be heaps lower and its all a TAX deduction.

Enjoy the Easter break peoples, time for me to flip the top of another cold beer as its a 'magic Easter Saturday arvo weather wise.
    Cheers Garry

what ear muffs you using Garry?
    I've found the pro series peltor/3m to be miles ahead of others
    Anyone put any thought into charging batteries onboard? I see Husky have a car charger but the charge times make it pointless for commercial use
    I've been looking into setting up a proper system with additional dual batteries / dc to dc charger / inverter and Stihl fast charger - I'd rather spend a couple of grand on that and never have to carry batteries inside again rather that purchasing additional batteries instead.
    Found many people to sell me the products but none who know their stuff lol

Ideally system should have capacity to charge between 5-10 batteries a day to future proof

of the 2 ppl who seemed to know what I wanted...
    one said they cant seem to make it work unless my truck is running for longer periods each day to keep the battery system topped up
    the other said that I will be fine ????

anyone have any ideas?

It's definitely possible.... the only unknown is whether the vehicle can output enough power to top up the extra battery system to allow uninterrupted use (without having it running all the time)

Using same muffs Pro Series Peltor Cat 5 in ear muffs and Pro Choice Class 4 in Pro band fixed headband in summer as I'm Inland and it gets too hot for full Peltor ear muffs during summer. The Pro Choice orange expanding plastic band that hangs around the neck front with the blue cat 4 replacements.
    Its been the holding of the petrol whipper doing vertical edging as vertical is all I do for every job that puts the motor smack bang near the right ear. So I was onto it the day I started hearing the ring noise around 6th Jan2018. Now doing what John from SEMowing what said he does, I also now inserting a cat 4 earplug on the right ear and full ear muffs over that when temp's enable the wearing of full ear muffs in my region. But not really using much petrol gear now, so its a little after the horse has bolted. But protecting the right ear in particular as much as possible moving forward.

Basically not wanting do any further ear damage across the coming years and it might self heal as I've had a couple of very brief times when I not had the ring as mentioned.

Came back on the PC to post the price I paid today when I saw your post Chris B.

For the battery blower and 9.4amp battery = $640. I've got to work two half days or less tomorrow and Monday. So it's paid for already.

On road charging.
    It could be done the same as our caravan which has a solar panel on the caravan roof via the regular to large deep cycle battery within the caravan independent of the car. Or with an Anderson plug coming of the dual cab or by using the higher amp loads of the lower row of a 12 pin rectangular socket/plug that can accommodate 10gauge wire. Our caravan fridge runs of socket pin number 9 perfectly and can keep ice cream in the freezer at temp whilst ion the road all day if travelling that far. Had the Hilux 12 pin wired by Toyota properly to Jayco wiring gauge spec's to ensure correct amp delivery.

So in the front cover mower rectangular box in front of my solid sheet metal open cage trailer with full side tool box, I would have a Marine type allrounder deep cycle battery in a secured battery box charging off the Anderson or said 12 pin socket/plug with the higher amperage pins charging the battery directly with a regulator within that front mower bow as I have a full shelf in it perfect for a battery box placement. Or charged via a 120watt solar panel located on top of the front mower box attaching with angle brackets with an air gap under the panel charging to the battery with a regular which are usually supplied with the solar panel. Then buy say the husky mobile inverter which had the matching slide in skin power connectors to charge the said Husky battery or sthil equiv.
    If a solar panel was up there, would have to be careful if throwing green waste branches over cage wall.
    It's all possible, but with my 5 batteries and 350w quick charger at home sitting in kitchen/family/dining (all one room) cnr. Plus the 5kw solar at home I get them charged at no cost before the sun falls.
    I carry the batteries in a cheap soft fold up insulated zip up Pepsi logo'd type esky bag I got for free with a blue ice block that is double clear zip locked bagged plus tea towel wrapped to prevent any moisture damage to batteries in summer whilst temp's are above 30 outside and hotter in the dual cab
    One of our local guys has the onboard battery and inverter set up working for him.
    Cheers Garry

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast