Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Husqvarna Battery Gear

Default Re: Husqvarna Battery Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post
    Ok, feel like I need to weigh in.
    Firstly, I am NOT a brand loyalist & buy whatever I think suits my needs & is cost effective.
    Id like to contribute my opinions here as i love reading this forum, reading others opinions.
    I also watch youtube vids on these tools but they're limited use opinions & I don't value them nearly as high as I do with ppl on here who use them for a living.

A while back, I went to a Husky demo day with a few other members on here.
    Whilst I was impressed with with the quality of the battery tools, I was unimpressed with the power.
    Although at that stage, there was no pole hedger available then, Id still really love to try one.

I ended up buying all the EGO gear which has been a bit of a mixed bag.
    If you're looking for a blower, this is the one to get !
    It will literally blow the Husky into the weeds.
    The two have the same power but then the EGO has the turbo button...... & that makes a HUGE diff.
    Ive used it for over a year now without a single issue
    I hate the EGO line trimmer, it has a terrible knob bump feed & it spins clockwise.

My point is, battery gear isn't the be & end all but, if you get the right gear for your needs you will be impressed.
    If you get the wrong gear, you will be disappointed .
    Biggest obstacle is battery management. Once you get this sorted, everything else is a benefit.

The choice is of course yours.

Cheers Fred.

ps. as many here know, I also have the Stihl 65 pole hedger & 85 telescopic pole hedger, if ppl wish to ask Q's ?

Hi fred,

Ego line trimmer multi tools has the same direction as the petrol one.

I bought like yours one but ended up returned it. Then beem told to wait for the multitool. Lucky i waited.
    Also, the power of the multitools is much better than the normal line trimmer. I guess is because it used 2000w motor

Quote Originally Posted by jal2007 View Post
    Hi fred,

Ego line trimmer multi tools has the same direction as the petrol one.

I bought like yours one but ended up returned it. Then beem told to wait for the multitool. Lucky i waited.
    Also, the power of the multitools is much better than the normal line trimmer. I guess is because it used 2000w motor
    Where can I try the Ego products??

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    HaHa yep
    What's the theory with these batteries? Is it not a good idea to run them to dead flat, or am I confused with other sorts of batteries?
    I'm no expert and there are so many different battery chemistries around, especially with lithium - but generally all batteries will be rated for a certain number of cycles - 1 full charge, 1 full discharge = 1 cycle. You could use it to 50%, charge, then use it to 50% and charge again - that will also be 1 cycle.

These expensive lithium batteries should have their own battery management system including low voltage shutoff (if they go below a certain voltage, they will be DEAD - so when you see "zero" on the indicator, that's referring to your usable capacity, not the actual battery voltage). I try and avoid running flat before charging. At the end of the day if I have 75% left, I'll still charge it. IMO this is better for battery health long term, and it also keeps you at full power for the next day. But by all means run it flat if you need to, I've never been worried about that at all.

Extremes of hot or cold temperatures will reduce the battery capacity - I would try to avoid storing them in the sun or in a hot toolbox etc. But it *shouldn't* blow up or anything if you have to...

Hahaha Husky batteries being 5 years ahead of the competition... maybe if they're talking about consumer gear. Pellenc have been around much longer and seem to have more powerful, lighter battery packs without the need for build in cooling fans etc. You do get what you pay for... there can be massive differences in capacity between cheaper, lower quality lithium cells Vs. more expensive high quality cells.

Bit of an update on my blower - it's started having issues with the trigger, press it in for full speed and the motor kind of wavers and surges up and down... not sure if it's just the sensor going in the trigger but the line trimmer started doing the same thing last year and it's starting to get to me now - just need to find time to get it checked out by the shop. Still within warranty so it will be interesting to see what they say..

Fred - the turbo button on the Ego blower gives more power than the turbo button on the Husky blower?
    Only other one I've tried is the Pellenc blower and it was so much lighter and more powerful than the Husky... which is fine for light clean up, but always on the lookout for a real petrol replacement handheld blower...

Got a call from Sydney tools today , saying they will match south easts prices if I show him a written quote, uh oh , I said I didn't have it in writing , his reply was credit card over phone now and he will match the price .

I said I want to pay cash so will call in on Sunday when he is in again. So thanks south east I just saved a couple of hundred, I owe you a beer. And I just received the last quote I was waiting on $2075, another mob looking after me.

Good one NLALM.
    I'll be keen to hear what you think of the gear, especially the line trimmer. I'm still biding time on it as it's getting dry here again & no rain in the forecast.

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    Unless they have totally new technology it's not a good idea to run lithium ion flat

http://http://www.abc.net.au/news/sc...low-up/7081286

Fred if you feel adventurous these are DC so if you can open up the case and swap the + & - wires and it should run anti clockwise
    Ian, thanks. Ive heard that b4 but there is also an argument against it, I think because of the lithion ion batteries ?

Conrad, the husky has 400cfm with turbo. The ego has 500cfm with turbo.
    In reality it seemed a lot more than 20% on paper. Its also approx half the price.

Jal, its good to see you giving the SP ego a good workout but, you bought it a while back, why did you wait to get it happening.

John, you missed the demo day but, if you're keen Ive got all the ego gear bar the SP mowers & the steel blade edger.
    You're welcome to demo them.

Cheers Fred.

Ian, thanks. Ive heard that b4 but there is also an argument against it, I think because of the lithion ion batteries ?

In reality it seemed a lot more than 20% on paper. Its also approx half the price.

Jal, its good to see you giving the SP ego a good workout but, you bought it a while back, why did you wait to get it happening.

John, you missed the demo day but, if you're keen Ive got all the ego gear bar the SP mowers & the steel blade edger.

Cheers Fred.
    Hi fred,
    Because i only have 2 x 7.5a batt which i thought might run out before i did all lawns.
    Now since i got 3 batt i am more confident to use it.
    Btw Sometimes i had to use the third batt to finish all lawns.

I might get another 2 batt for my backpack blower

Cheers Fred.
    Thanks Fred, was interested in the ego multi. Tried Jals today but heavier than I want.
    Will go the husky line trimmer, ext hedge trimmer. May just get the blower also as I need one occasionally when I don't use backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post
    Got a call from Sydney tools today , saying they will match south easts prices if I show him a written quote, uh oh , I said I didn't have it in writing , his reply was credit card over phone now and he will match the price .

I said I want to pay cash so will call in on Sunday when he is in again. So thanks south east I just saved a couple of hundred, I owe you a beer. And I just received the last quote I was waiting on $2075, another mob looking after me.
    Will be purchasing one set Monday so if they don't want to give best price I will email you a copy of my invoice.

I rang the second best quote today because they are a husky dealer and would rather buy from them being a mower shop , and thinking of after sales service. I asked could they match the $1755 price , the guy said he would ask the boss and ring me back, which he did , saying the boss said if I can get it all for $1755 to go for it because he wont match it. So I'm off to Sydney tools tomorrow to lock it in, they don't have it in stock so will take a few days.

Just an update, I went into Sydney tools today , to order the gear , and when I pulled out cash to pay for it the guy said $1700 will do, so I am happy about that another $55 off, will be in in a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post
    Just an update, I went into Sydney tools today , to order the gear , and when I pulled out cash to pay for it the guy said $1700 will do, so I am happy about that another $55 off, will be in in a couple of days.
    Well done.

They asked me for a purchase order!

With that I don't suppose cash will help!

May see if they can throw anything in

Bloody good deal NLALM!!!

One of the major downsides to using a backpack battery with a cord in the way...

455D52D7-B9AF-45E0-AD1F-004019227D3D.jpg

2nd time i’ve done this - just have to nick the cord with the hedge trimmer and your day just got a lot worse... They are like $180, not paying that again so I'll break out the soldering iron, heatshrink and get this fixed up.

One of the major design faults is the way the cord exits the side of the tools, which obviously especially gets in the way when using the hedge trimmer. If you are working fast and aren’t constantly mindful of holding the cord out of the way you’re only moments away from an expensive mistake.

Oh well!

My turn to grip the shaft.

My local Husqvarna dealer has given me today a Brand New never-used battery extended Hedger with 9.4 amp battery and charger to demo use for a couple of days.
    I didn't even ask, I was in picking up my Husky 525LST as he experimenting with different lower gear drives to if I would like it better. I picked up the extended battery hedger and asked for a 9.4 battery to be inserted so I could feel the weight balance.

I haven't used it yet, but liking it just sitting on the coffee table in the family room.
    Will give it a go at home as I have lots of hedges having a1300sm block "Better Homes & Garden" standard landscaped garden.
    I got a slack attack and knocked off work at Midday hence me visit to the Husky dealer on the way home. (Well it's Hot and Humid, that's my excuse)
    Cheers Garry

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast