Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Husqvarna Battery Gear

Default Re: Husqvarna Battery Gear

Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post
    Just an update, I went into Sydney tools today , to order the gear , and when I pulled out cash to pay for it the guy said $1700 will do, so I am happy about that another $55 off, will be in in a couple of days.
    Mark,
    Can you list exacting what you got for the $1700 cash.
    Thanks
    Cheers Garry

Also guys is there a real need for the faster QC500 Husky Charger.
    Dealer loaned me the QC330 and the 9.4amp Battery had one bar and I thought it fully charged quite quickly.
    Understanding that when one spends this type of money a few extra dollars to get the faster charger is silly not too. I don't know the price diff just yet.

Edit, I would get 2 batteries too if I purchase the beast.
    Cheers Garry

trimmer 536 lilx

pole hedge trimmer 536 lihe

battery bli300 9.4 ah x 2

battery charger Qc 500

Thanks for the call today Gaz, I don't mind stopping anytime for a chat, sometimes I don't hear the phone though when I'm mowing

Ok very quick review on the most shortest of usage so far with the Husky Extended Trimmer with QC330 charger and 9.4amp Battery.
    Somethings will mirror what other members here have said and I can't compare it to the Sthil as I've never operated one.

Battery charger charges much faster than envisaged at home. but for small $'s and I don't know how much I prob still would go the QC500 charger. But either way fine I guess.

The hedger was new out of the box.

* I felt the hedger was seconds slow to start after pulling Trigger, but no big deal, but still slow to start the scissor action.
    * Eco mode trims fine on more maintained hedges, but after having a noisy 2stroke one thinks power mode is better having more familiar sound. I used power mode today knowing there would be no battery issue during the demo at home.
    * The blade scissor action speed was fine either power or eco mode and to me especially with eco mode off.
    * Felt it was heavy at the motor end and for me and this is a personal thing I would want to experiment attaching a proper D handle against the rubber grip. D handle that you swing/throw side to side like the 525LST trimmer has.
    * When standing at a long straight hedge I like the a slight angle applied to cutting head. I felt first angle adjust was slightly more angled than I would have liked or what I'm used to with the petrol multi tool variable tape & adjust.
    Although have been told by a member here that the Sthil's first notch angle adjustment is more coarse again.
    * Felt the unit doesn't like the really really thicker stems that a petrol extended hedger can take on, But its fine all the same, just makes a different mechanical noise when it engages thicker stuff.
    * Yes, would be nice if the cutting head was say an inch longer, but that would make the in balance of weight more negative.
    * The rear of the battery head area seems quite long and set back from the operators right hand grip. As I swung around a cnr positioned Nandina Gulfstream in a row of them that extends into a row in another direction. I hit the master bedroom window of our house with the extended rear end of the battery unit. Said the magic work too.

# The cutting head appears it won't develop side ways slack movement after much use. Something the petrol non commercial Hand held 122HD 60 suffers from as the aluminium body wears guiding the blades.
    # Like the vertical support to blade attaching to the gear box to give it sturdiness/ridgeness over time.
    # Like the side way battery insert
    # Like the operators buttons, I have no finger nails so I shouldn't punch holes through the pvc overlay sticker on the buttons. Like my wife/ daughters do to the Fisher Paykel Washing machine operator buttons.
    # Like the NO EAR PLUGS - OR EAR MUFFS REQUIRED.
    # Like the overall massive noise reduction for operator and customer and neighbours.
    # 9.4 amp Battery still had 4 bars after doing my whole front garden which has quite a bit of hedges at non ladder height. I had done the very large rear garden yesterday arvo with the petrol one, not expecting to have the battery on loan today.
    I can see the battery life will be absolutely fine with 9.4amp, especially having two batteries.
    # Like the folding action of the blade end when packing up after a job. NO SET UP required like an extended reach multi tool.
    # Angle adjustment is somewhat easy to achieve, with tension set correct for pull release grip and tap the head to move to next position. but not as good and the variable tap into place petrol extended version. But fully workable.
    # Like the under Throttle /Hand- throttle protection moulded in handle and rear built in handle.
    # Was surprised the charging has a built in fan operating whilst charging. Well something had a fan it.
    # Cut was good, but the blades were new and I've had no new blades for 7-8 yrs only dremel sharpened one on my petrol gear
    # Re operator fatigue reduction, well I have absolutely no idea, not enough use yet of course.

Yes I've only had the unit a few hours and only operated it for even a shorter period. It's different and so it should be and I'm not used it yet and have not done unmaintained stuff or ladder work or hit metal, colorbond fences or stones yet. I had to look after this things as I don't own it.
    Like all things new one has to used it as I've been a Husky 60inch hand unit and the Commercial multi tool in short and extended mode for 7- 8 yrs. So that's all I know up until today very brief go.

Would I buy one, well simply Yes.
    As I like the slight-small weight benefit, love the noise reduction and my right ear is giving me some grief in the past month due to noise. So from a noise perspective that is a major reason to buy. No mucking around with 2 stroke and oil on clothing. 5kw solar at home so no expense to charge unless at night, but I'm not that tight $ wise, just mentioning it. No set up just unfold and go. I would need to work out lock up easy to get at for storage on my rig. As in fold up mode this takes up more space in length and height with moulded throttle/hand guard and long rear handle.
    Would the misses allow me to buy it. Well I sat it on the family room coffee table for an hour and its still there now, had the fan activated charger going for a short period on the kitchen bench and she never saw any of it or new it was any different from anything else I have to run the business with or keep in the shed. Not that I keep work stuff in the family room or kitchen.

Lastly never loan stuff from the dealer on a 41.5deg day and do your garden in that kind of heat of an afternoon because your eager to use it.

Edit, I have a long 15 mtr hedge running a colorbond fence with a 2.5foot retainer wall, will give that a trim this evening when temp's drop to 35 or less.
    Cheers Garry

trimmer 536 lilx

pole hedge trimmer 536 lihe

battery bli300 9.4 ah x 2

battery charger Qc 500

Thanks for the call today Gaz, I don't mind stopping anytime for a chat, sometimes I don't hear the phone though when I'm mowing
    ....Thanks.....
    Cheers Garry

Great review, The thing with picking up a battery machine for the first time is getting used to it. It is different to petrol and over time you will realise different in a good way.

The first time I used my stihl hla65 I thought it was junk , but after 30 mins I started to change my mind and now would rather use it than any machine I own.

Battery power does sound different when cutting thicker stuff but it still powers through, if I am cutting thicker woody type stuff I use my petrol machine, not because the battery wont cut it, but because I don't want to stuff my good blades on that type of hedge .

But when I get the husky it will be kept for my good hedges and the stihl will be used on the rougher ones that will test it out

I still wear my ear plugs with the battery power, in the last couple of months I have noticed a change in my hearing, spose you gotta lose a bit of hearing after 36 years of running machinery every day, and when I think back, most of that time was with no hearing protection no whs back then

Great review, The thing with picking up a battery machine for the first time is getting used to it. It is different to petrol and over time you will realise different in a good way.

The first time I used my stihl hla65 I thought it was junk , but after 30 mins I started to change my mind and now would rather use it than any machine I own.

Battery power does sound different when cutting thicker stuff but it still powers through, if I am cutting thicker woody type stuff I use my petrol machine, not because the battery wont cut it, but because I don't want to stuff my good blades on that type of hedge .

But when I get the husky it will be kept for my good hedges and the stihl will be used on the rougher ones that will test it out

I still wear my ear plugs with the battery power, in the last couple of months I have noticed a change in my hearing, spose you gotta lose a bit of hearing after 36 years of running machinery every day, and when I think back, most of that time was with no hearing protection no whs back then
    Agree re the thicker stems on feral hedges and the different noise the battery unit makes and getting used too it.

I just went out and did the light trim/tidy to that hedge that runs along the colorbond fence in my rear yard, it's a 1.8 Nandina thick stork fine gulfstream leaf type 2 mtr variety. It cut through some thicker bits with no concern.
    The battery unit did it well and quick with no set up time but still thought the first angle/degree adjust from dead straight was a bit aggressive whilst you trim across the hedges front face, but would get used to it pretty quickly I guess.
    You know I went to pull the starter cord and when I finished I went to hit the auto self return off switch - old habit.

I need to ask the dealer and he won't know yet. But I'm concerned the pin holes in the metal arc that accommodate the head angle adjustment will wear and allow play in them that would give the operator the sh*ts. How soon that may happen for a serious contractor I don't know, but how much cost would be involved to dismantle and replace that part.

Also is the Husky extended hedger much lighter and easier to use with the next smaller battery in the 5 amp range as I still thought it was rather heavy with the 9.4amp unit.
    I'm thinking it would have to be stored in the back dual cab seat area with the Sthil 700 backpack for onsite security and that's a hot enviro in my part of the world in Dec to early March.

Plus what do you guys think of the husky battery whipper as some here are ordering one or have it already. The dealer will let me take one of these out too for demo use, he offered today
    Cheers Garry

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    Also guys is there a real need for the faster QC500 Husky Charger.
    Dealer loaned me the QC330 and the 9.4amp Battery had one bar and I thought it fully charged quite quickly.
    Understanding that when one spends this type of money a few extra dollars to get the faster charger is silly not too. I don't know the price diff just yet.

Edit, I would get 2 batteries too if I purchase the beast.
    Gazza, a bit like having a coldie when you get home after work.
    Sometimes it's well and truly needed. Other times it's just good to have it.

Maybe a few years down the track when you have multiple tools , pole saws, blowers , maybe even mowers.
    A few minutes saved may be handy

Gaz ask the dealer for a smaller battery to try , just tell him you lost the big one...........

You fellas got a win over me. I only got the 330 charger that came in the hedger kit. Charges the 9.4 battery from flat to full in 75 mins.

Gaz, I felt the same as you when I first picked it up with the big battery. I thought "this thing is still pretty heavy" I thought it felt heavy at the cutting end though. But after some time on it, it feels ok. I suppose it's just a matter of adjusting to it.

Funny about the eco mode. I did about 6 hours with the hedger before I thought to give it a try. Just the sound makes you think it won't cut anything, but it does. It probably wouldn't slow you down too much on light trimming. But if I can get 5-6 hours @ full power, I prob wouldn't bother with it.

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    You fellas got a win over me. I only got the 330 charger that came in the hedger kit. Charges the 9.4 battery from flat to full in 75 mins.

Gaz, I felt the same as you when I first picked it up with the big battery. I thought "this thing is still pretty heavy" I thought it felt heavy at the cutting end though. But after some time on it, it feels ok. I suppose it's just a matter of adjusting to it.

Funny about the eco mode. I did about 6 hours with the hedger before I thought to give it a try. Just the sound makes you think it won't cut anything, but it does. It probably wouldn't slow you down too much on light trimming. But if I can get 5-6 hours @ full power, I prob wouldn't bother with it.
    I can relate 100 % to what you posted. Its bit like when the Toyota dealer picks me up and takes me on service visits. Its in a battery hybrid car and theres no noise when he departs up until a certain speed. but the cars still going along the road.

Gona ask for the 5.2 battery tomorrow as well and compare both re weight/balance and gona ask for the 536 whipper that he was going to give me today that I said nah too.
    But I know the 9.4 battery is the way to go especially if using say a whipper or blower is purchased as SEM hints could happen as 5.2amp doesn't cut the mustard in those units. But the 9.4amp is almost 2kg.

Re the drilled pin locking holes in head angular adjuster, guess the Sthil has same. How has the wear and enlarging of these holes gone over time??. Guess as long it's repairable at a reasonable cost down the track. I will ask tomorrow.

Bugger me, you guys have me almost hooked on this battery stuff. Could use this gear in my retirement days seeing I'm on a large block with lots of detailed garden and lots of spare time when that day comes.
    Cheers Garry

Gaz ask the dealer for a smaller battery to try , just tell him you lost the big one...........
    I thought the same and tried the smaller battery. To me they both (whippy & hedger) feel better balanced with the larger battery.
    Weight is not too much of an issue. If it become one I will hook the hedger up to the Crommelins GTM Elephants Trunk. (When I get it set up)

Had a bumper Spring and looking the same for Summer so investing in machinery to make my job easier. Hopefully extend the life of this old bugger if I keep to my 4 day week and more smarter

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    Well done.

They asked me for a purchase order!

With that I don't suppose cash will help!

May see if they can throw anything in
    Hey Freddy boy. Did you think you would ever see the day

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    I thought the same and tried the smaller battery. To me they both (whippy & hedger) feel better balanced with the larger battery.
    Weight is not too much of an issue. If it become one I will hook the hedger up to the Crommelins GTM Elephants Trunk. (When I get it set up)

Had a bumper Spring and looking the same for Summer so investing in machinery to make my job easier. Hopefully extend the life of this old bugger if I keep to my 4 day week and more smarter
    I respect your opinion heaps on the battery size/weight/balance you have experienced. Will have that on mind tomorrow. I’ve no real hedge work tomorrow but could do some more detailed work at my home to get a feel of 5.2 v 9.4 batteries differences re weight and balance.
    After midnight now and I’m still reading and posting about this battery stuff. Need to get a life for me self.
    Cheers Garry

Wow Gazza lots of review notes!

I find it interesting to see what long time petrol equipment users think of the electric gear (I started my business using all battery gear 4 years ago.
    )

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    # Was surprised the charging has a built in fan operating whilst charging. Well something had a fan it.
    Yes the batteries have built in fans/cooling. Another thing that adds weight and unnecessary complication, but they obviously decided that was necessary. It is important to maintain the correct battery temperature during charging and use, but you'll find that higher end brands don't need to use active cooling. Husky could have used more expensive lithium cells, but for the price point and having actual commercial grade tools with 3 year warranty I think they're going pretty damn good.

I will have to post a pic later of a big trim I did of an overgrown Murraya. There were some thick branches, I probably should have had the loppers out but I just kept chipping away at it and it got through! My experience is that if it will fit between the cutting tooth opening, it will cut it!!

Re: Husky battery line trimmer. This is my most used tool BY FAR. It's done a hell of a lot of work... highly recommend it! But as I mentioned I don't have much experience with petrol gear as a comparison, I did have a T270 for one job, but even that struggled (overgrown knee to waist high paspalum). Honestly the T270 and the Husky line trimmer were pretty even in that situation IMO. The only thing was the Husky kept overheating and shutting off. But I'd have to stop and refuel the petrol trimmer every 20mins or so anyway. But for that type of work I've learnt my lesson and will now just hire a big 2T brushcutter with grass blade.

For regular work I love it - it's super light and it just makes the job so much more comfortable. I actually have the 4.2Ah battery along with the big backpack, if I use eco mode on regular jobs it can last a long time especially if you work quickly.

By way of comparison to other electric trimmers - the Husky has a proper full line width compared with my first trimmer. On full power I honestly think it's a legit petrol replacement option, with the caveat being that you need to have enough power for it... I use 2.4mm line for all regular work, will switch to 2.7mm for really overgrown edges or if I need to rip through a bit faster.

BTW has anyone enquired about putting a grass blade on the Husky line trimmer? I did ask at my dealer when I picked it up, he said yes it fits but not an "official" option as the trimmer doesn't have a blade brake... but does stop spinning a LOT faster than other electric trimmers FWIW.

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast