Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Husqvarna Battery Gear

Default Re: Husqvarna Battery Gear

Conrad Quote: For regular work I love it - it's super light and it just makes the job so much more comfortable. I actually have the 4.2Ah battery along with the big backpack, if I use eco mode on regular jobs it can last a long time especially if you work quickly.

Thanks for feedback, re hedger and trimmer. Everyone is getting something out of all this. Not just the posters.
    Is the above reference referring to the 4.2amp or backpack - I'm guessing the 4.2

I went into the husky shop today, owner was out, so will see him tomorrow now. But did grab a 5.2 amp Battery to trial tonight (still got the 9.4 too) in my own garden and tomorrow on a small job. Didn't take the whipper out as owner was not there, so didn't ask.

The boys in shop did say a new battery was coming by the 700 reference coding. I thought something Iike a 7.0amp fitting between the 5.2 and 9.4. But upon further checking it was a new backpack battery.

Re the concern of mine re the circular metal hedger angle adjuster with drilled locking holes that will wear and give slop to hedger cutter head over time.
    Well no concern there, they showed the exploded parts fitment diagram on the PC and the individual part and surrounding bushes/o rings etc are fully orderable and replaceable. The metal arc with the holes for adjustment is $11, but its a little bit fiddly job to work with and a few bushes and seals would be needed at repair time. But it nothing in the scheme of things and for the workshop guys. (Like they replaced one of my Honda 216 gearbox and front axle two weeks back at 1 hr labour)

I can see a slight thinning out of the bank account soon as I will be asking for quote tomorrow arvo.
    Cheers Garry

Before I went to work today and I had a slack attack as that was 10.OOam. To be honest I want to stay home as it was hot/humid again.

I set up me Husky 327R -X series Multi Tool with hedger attachment first. Then re set up with the extended shaft and standard short hedger on the multi tool.

The Husky battery extended hedger with the 9.4amp battery a felt degree heavier than the multi tool with the short shaft.
    The Husky battery with 9.4amp was lighter and better balanced than the multi tool with extended shaft with the battery model much easier to handle in the hand.
    Had no Avery scales and only wanted to get a standing, handling comparison before I went work.
    Plus it hit home how much time is wasted setting up the multi tool, dropping the Allen Key and getting grease on the hand when dealing with the short/long shaft change overs.
    Cheers Garry

I'm itching to get mine now, they said it should be in Thursday.

You are right about set up time , sometimes I've done a few metres of hedge and think wow I would still be putting the kombi tool together

and no fuel no smell, mine sits on the floor of the ute in the back seat

Guys, Im not sure why some want so many batteries ?
    Im pretty sure you'll get till lunch out of one battery in most cases, have lunch whilst re charging with your rapid charger & your good for the rest of the day.
    Im talking about hedgers which I think are the best suited battery ope for our industry.

Don't get me wrong, if you need more batteries get em, but to get the most out of your warranty, the fewer you have the more you stretch your warranty, & batteries are expensive !
    I think Ive said this b4 but, its 2018 & NOBODY will bat an eyelid if you recharge a battery.
    Only ever found 2 places without an external power point &, most ppl will happily allow you to recharge in their laundry, with an ext cord, etc.

Cheers Fred

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    Hey Freddy boy. Did you think you would ever see the day
    Yer, your a smart cookie Johnny, some times these things just take a little time ....... lol.
    Now, lets have a look at your elephants trunk little Johnny, or is that Big Johnny ?
    Seriously, have always wanted to try one, so am interested to get your thoughts.
    A vid would be good ?

Cheers Fred.

Another post,

The demo hedger I used again this evening over a long thick hedge facing a colorbond fence at home.
    I'm going to buy one tomorrow but with two 5.2amp batteries and the must have IMO "D" handle of the type the better husky petrol whippies have.
    The D handle made a world of difference to me for close up control across the face of the hedge and used the rubber grip for more reach at height or work at the top. But thats because I'm so used to the D handle on the petrol whipper and Multi hedger & hand hedger.
    The hedger is much more nimble and easy to use with the 0.5kg lighter 5.2amp battery. Standing in front of a long hedge doing up/down vertical sweeps is noticeably easier on the body control of the unit again IMO. Especially when you have both size batteries to click in/out and compare several times as I did.
    Reaching up high was easier and it would be a no brainer when ladders are required and your moving one every 4 foot going up/down etc.

I dislike doing hedges at the best of times and I would not a book a hedge for all day. I have a huge house (Client's) that has very long ones front and back using a 1.8mt ladder for the back one. But I do each on different days in a rotating cycle as it be murderous to do them all in one as I did once.

Can understand needing the 1.9kg 9.4amp for the likes of a blower, not sure if they would make a battery whipper on the heavy side (Edit 4.9kg- rather heavy) chasing the run time. Or if doing hedges as a specially all day.

If I was to buy a whipper or blower down the track I'll work the battery situation out then, Hopefully they might have 7.3Amp by then which would ideal.

Well you guys here finally got to me with all the continuous Battery talk and I was sitting on the fence reading all the posts for Sthil then Husky.

I'm a partially converted man for the moment.
    Cheers Garry

Just sending these photos from my phone - did a bit of work like this last year. That hedger is a pretty tough tool. ��

B6AC04EF-2AA0-40FA-8B56-EE4FA626A4AD.jpg
    1B392F2D-EA00-4FA1-9BEF-E3798932A865.jpg

Will call catch up on the discussion when I get a chance over the next few days... ✌️

Did more work with the Husky Battery demo hedger in the real world at a customers house this morning before I handed it back after lunch today to the Husky dealer. There was a few very large Diosmas that where out of hand and needed trimming prior to mowing at this house.
    Had the 5.2amp and 9.4amp on grass rotating them in and out many times and at one stage I forgot I had the 9.2 in use, thinking it I had the 5.4 inserted. So you really do get used it no matter which battery is in. I wasn't using a ladder.
    Anyhow, it's 1.5hrs since I returned the demo stuff to the shop and I'm waiting a call for price including one 5.2amp and one 9.4amp battery. Also asked for a price on the gear SEMowing & Nlalm went for, just for interest sake.

Edit re the chargers the slower QC120 charger is now deleted and the extra fast charger is the only option at the QC120 price.
    One extended Battery Hedger, one D handle, one 5.2amp, one 9.4amp and a QC 330 fast charger $1189
    Cheers Garry

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post
    Yer, your a smart cookie Johnny, some times these things just take a little time ....... lol.
    Now, lets have a look at your elephants trunk little Johnny, or is that Big Johnny ?
    Seriously, have always wanted to try one, so am interested to get your thoughts.
    A vid would be good ?

Cheers Fred.
    Big Johnny's vids are by subscription only

Hey Gazza - yes I was talking about the 4.2Ah battery in the line trimmer, used in eco mode on regular jobs I used to be able to get almost a full day out of it. (Working solo, so fewer jobs in the day tho...)

I definitely agree you don't want to overcapitalise on batteries. Start with two batteries and you can always add more if you need. But you also have to be mindful of managing your batteries correctly - eg. if you get into the habit of fully draining a battery if might be better to have one extra so you can rotate through the day and not have any batteries that are used to empty.

Re: battery charging - Husqvarna do a car charger now, I'll be getting one of those for sure to help keep things topped up during the day.

The blower really chews power, I doubt the 9Ah would see you through a whole day but it depends what type of jobs you're doing. I still use a Stihl BR600 for big jobs, I've tried using just the Husky blower with the 26Ah battery and pretty much drained it where the BR600 would have used half a tank of fuel or less.

You do get used to a bit of extra weight, but it can get to you quickly if you're doing a lot of hedging for example. I really like having the backpack battery for that reason, helps to take a bit of weight off the tool (with the downside that your back gets hot and sweaty but lets be honest it will be anyway if you're working outside during summer in Australia.)

Gazza - the wear points you were concerned about on the pole hedger; dont' forget that these tools have much less vibration than petrol tools, and so much less wear as well. Or at least not in the usual suspect areas or to the same degree as petrol tools.

Conrad,
    Yer all I need in Battery power is the 5.2 & 9.4 for me as a solo operator for now. The bit of hedge work I did with the demo gear, well the battery packs still had 4 bars on them. Dealer showed the car charger, but I reckon that may never be me installing a car charger at my ol age of 59.
    If I got that serious I would install a battery in the front mower trailer box and run the converter of that. But I like the battery stuff for the technology and easier on the ear drums and operator in general.
    My dealer said the blower was chewing way to much power too. He had the demo whipper at home is bringing it in for me to try.
    Re blowers I use the Husky petrol hand held anti vibe model which has less noise too and the Sthil V8 Br 700 back pack..

Very good point on less vibration in the unit wearing parts, didn't think of that. As mentioned there is a new battery backpack coming "700" . Kinda feel that a 7.00 amp range battery may follow too.

I feel the batteries are cheap enough to not worry about them to much, unless I dropped one and smashed it (touch wood). Then I would be pee"d off. Dealer giving around 13-14% of for contractors ie about 5.2amp for approx. $217

For a bloke who was quite negative on battery equip a year ago, I've seen the light thanks to technology development and the experienced operators who post here. Plus edbeek for starting the Husky topic in the beginning.

Looking forward to my own Battery Husky Hedger big time next week when it arrives. then the following week will do one of my mega long and hedges that's well over due to be visited. Shee-ish reckon for the first time i'll prob enjoy doing it.
    I do get a lot of calls for hedges as I do a lot for my regular customers and I'm told by everyone I have a very straight eye for them even when the property is on a land fall. But 98% of the time I've knocked them back unless there one of my regular customers.

Certainly going to keep my own property in show room condition more often with it having zero set up time etc.
    Plus its a instant tax deduction and lowers me quarterly BAS and who doesn't love a new toy.
    Cheers Garry

You'd be surprised how tough those little batteries are... obviously it's not good to be throwing them all over the place, but accidents happen. I've had a couple of small drops from waist or knee height and one of my guys dropped it from about shoulder height onto concrete. It's showing some marks on the case, but didn't crack and it's still working fine. But the bigger it is (9Ah) the harder it falls...

I can only imagine it's a pretty big change for someone who's used to doing everything with petrol tools - but I'm sure you'll love it!

Ok got me extended hedger today. That QC500 charger is fast.
    Just a little trick to move the rubber grip if ever required.

Marked the original position with a fine tip marker for reference.
    I wanted to move the grip 2cm closer to the throttle as I've fitted a proper D handle at the grips end on the cutting side. I just wanted to try the reposition to bring the D handle a smig closer but not unsettle the reach/balance gained by using the rubber grip in operation. So just trying 2 cm, maybe 3 cm at a max. But 2cm might be perfect.
    Use the air gun nozzle inserted just inside the grip's end, don't need much pressure at all and the grip floats and releases.
    Cheers Garry

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    I thought the same and tried the smaller battery. To me they both (whippy & hedger) feel better balanced with the larger battery.
    Weight is not too much of an issue. If it become one I will hook the hedger up to the Crommelins GTM Elephants Trunk. (When I get it set up)

Had a bumper Spring and looking the same for Summer so investing in machinery to make my job easier. Hopefully extend the life of this old bugger if I keep to my 4 day week and more smarter
    Picked it all up yesterday. Threw it in the garage with the GTM Elephants Trunk until I get some spare time to set it all up and have a play!
    Been busy with all this rain. Hope my brother is enjoying his week up in Queensland Just me and 1 offsider for the week. That 4 day week is yet to be achieved

Where did you get your Elephants Trunk? I seriously need to get one of them... hedging is taking it's toll...
    Are they mostly the same price everywhere or did you shop around?

And just a random thought popped into my head... has anyone used ET on a line trimmer??? This could really save me when doing BIG edging jobs wither with the whippy or blade edger attachment..!
    Sorry a bit off topic...

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast