Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Husqvarna Battery Gear

Default Re: Husqvarna Battery Gear

Did a very very long upper chest/neck height hedge today early morning that had gone feral since the I did it end of Nov on a luxury home. The battery extended hedger was just brilliant. I had to get in behind the hedge and hard up against the rendered house using the hand held petrol 60cm hedger to ensure no chipping to the render. then one experienced the WTF feeeling, oil, vibration, pull cord, heavy, noise, idle noise and I felt using it was a trip back to Henry's T Model Ford days. LOVED the extended battery hedger.

Now the next story, pick up the demo Battery Whipper at lunch time. OMG. I'm buying one tomorrow, its just that simple.

There's 3 things though, it has the smaller T25 head and you need the to keep the whipper cord long for usage similar to the petrol T 35 heads. Second, every time its turns off it restarts in clockwise. Can it be programmed to start anti clockwise automatically.
    Also the wide guard suitable for left/right spin is too wide to fit in my trailer side upright tool box. The 525LST guard fitted to the battery unit will fit in but not as safe in clockwise spin. Can it be locked in anti clockwise spin, I have no manual.

But I'm buying it, due bugger all weight, minimal noise on my left ear and for customer low noise, its just works and I love it. Wondering too, if anyone has put a larger T35 head on it to give the longer cord length in operation. Questions for the dealer tomorrow.
    I can feel a battery short hedger becoming apart of my gear. But for the home model, as the Contractor one is toooo wide in the massive handle to fit in the said tool box width wise. With the ease of instant start/fold out operation with the extended model, the home model would not get as much work as the current petrol hand held I use me thinks. Yep aware the cutting length is shorter than the contractor model.

Edit and no I'm not on facebook and don't have account re using OMG & WTF, but I did refrain from using, it's amazing.
    Cheers Garry

Good stuff gaz , I have read that if you want to run the whippy anti clockwise , which I will be doing most of the time , that if you wind the cord the other way to the arrows it feeds out better , you can suss that as I'm still waiting. I rang them today the said its all here bar one battery. I might pick it up tomorrow , I can live with one battery for a few days.

I reckon a chainsaw would be very handy too. I have the handheld stihl hsa86 and couldn't be without it , I did a 2 hour job today and was using both the hsa86 and hla65 .

I cut some rough Norfolk island hibiscus on Monday and had to use the petrol kombi, in the words of Rodney , I hate that

glad you like the gear

Didn't think re the direction of the cord winding, as I was still using the dealers cord that was in it. But noticed it was not tapping right in anti c/wise direction.
    Battery chainsaw sounds good, but for my use it would be minimal as most of mine is the pole saw.

Dah, DON'T like the battery blower AT ALL.
    Think their jnr work experience kid from Sweden High School designed it and the board room directors when it got signed off must have been all on leave in Nice. Well the kid tried, but I give a few points for the blower pipe metal end trim, provided one doesn't get a zap from it.
    Cheers Garry

Quote Originally Posted by conrad View Post
    Where did you get your Elephants Trunk? I seriously need to get one of them... hedging is taking it's toll...
    Are they mostly the same price everywhere or did you shop around?

And just a random thought popped into my head... has anyone used ET on a line trimmer??? This could really save me when doing BIG edging jobs wither with the whippy or blade edger attachment..!
    Sorry a bit off topic...

Crommelins Machinery

Ben Keen
    SALES

Phone: 1300 650 659
    Fax: (08) 9451 6381

Email: sales@crommelins.com.au

$290 + $20 delivery + GST
    Was told they only had 6 left in Perth

Just emailed them and they gave me the price. Mid year last year I enquired at a local place and they QUOTED me $536 inc GST

Unless they've changed things since I demoed the whippie, I don't think you can change the head to a 'spin-on' type.

To allow for the clockwise/anti-clockwise rotation, the head is held on with a big nyloc nut so that it can't undo whilst trimming in either direction.

Quote Originally Posted by conrad View Post
    Where did you get your Elephants Trunk? I seriously need to get one of them... hedging is taking it's toll...
    Are they mostly the same price everywhere or did you shop around?

And just a random thought popped into my head... has anyone used ET on a line trimmer??? This could really save me when doing BIG edging jobs wither with the whippy or blade edger attachment..!
    Sorry a bit off topic...
    Get some bungee cord and attach to a standard shoulder strap. Attach that to handle area and tie it off loosely so that you can adjust it for different needs.
    Have a play with different thickness or lengths of cord. When you get it right you can basically have the whippy just above ground level without really feeling the weight of it.
    Hope that makes sense. If not pm me and I will take a pic or 2

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    Didn't think re the direction of the cord winding, as I was still using the dealers cord that was in it. But noticed it was not tapping right in anti c/wise direction.
    Battery chainsaw sounds good, but for my use it would be minimal as most of mine is the pole saw.

Dah, DON'T like the battery blower AT ALL.
    Think their jnr work experience kid from Sweden High School designed it and the board room directors when it got signed off must have been all on leave in Nice. Well the kid tried, but I give a few points for the blower pipe metal end trim, provided one doesn't get a zap from it.
    The blower was not my favorite either. It has its uses for me at a couple of small commercial jobs and indoor courtyard areas at schools due to noise.
    The pipe will be the 1st thing I play around with - have a few old ones at home I may need to have a play with

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    Unless they've changed things since I demoed the whippie, I don't think you can change the head to a 'spin-on' type.

To allow for the clockwise/anti-clockwise rotation, the head is held on with a big nyloc nut so that it can't undo whilst trimming in either direction.
    Correct, realised after posting and researching what Mr H did to counter the dual rotation, plus I did pass Physics at RMIT. But the brain ain’t what it used to be.

SEM,
    Re blower; my thoughts were it lacked grunt, had too much battery drain/short run time. Was still noisy at 89db and had terrible side ways wrist toque upon acceleration like an old bulky Green Weedeater Blower from days gone by. Fail
    Cheers Garry

There is a separate model blower that is for use only with the backpack batteries - haven't seen it myself but I think it's been designed to draw air directly from the rear of the blower, through the space where the battery/adapter sits on the regular blower which gives a bit more power and would avoid it wasting power sucking on your pants leg from the side vents! I find the weight distribution of the blower really off as well, it's uncomfortable to use for any longer than a couple of minutes.

Line trimmer - I found that the line feeds the same in either spin direction, just that it can be a bit "sticky" depending how full the spool is and how tightly it's wound. Also seems to struggle on eco mode, not enough speed to feed line out so you either have to turn it to full power for a second or I've actually just been flipping it up and pulling line manually a lot of the time. Default clockwise rotation bugs the heck outta me as well, but it's just a routine now I usually press all the buttons before starting a job (which can all be done in the space of about 4 footsteps so not a biggie really).

And cheers South East Mowing for that info (I'm onto it right now) and the tip for the bungee cord. Might give it a try today!

[QUOTE=conrad;154226]There is a separate model blower that is for use only with the backpack batteries - haven't seen it myself but I think it's been designed to draw air directly from the rear of the blower, through the space where the battery/adapter sits on the regular blower which gives a bit more power and would avoid it wasting power sucking on your pants leg from the side vents! I find the weight distribution of the blower really off as well, it's uncomfortable to use for any longer than a couple of minutes.

Line trimmer - I found that the line feeds the same in either spin direction, just that it can be a bit "sticky" depending how full the spool is and how tightly it's wound. Also seems to struggle on eco mode, not enough speed to feed line out so you either have to turn it to full power for a second or I've actually just been flipping it up and pulling line manually a lot of the time. Default clockwise rotation bugs the heck outta me as well, but it's just a routine now I usually press all the buttons before starting a job (which can all be done in the space of about 4 footsteps so not a biggie really).

And cheers South East Mowing for that info (I'm onto it right now) and the tip for the bungee cord. Might give it a try today![/QUOTE]

I used that on a back pack brushy!! The weight of the machine was a lot less than a standard brushy but being a bigger heavier shaft and needing to hold it all day made a huge difference

Got the gear today............
    Attached Images Attached Images

Alright my initial thoughts, The first pic is the 9.4 battery next to the stihl 6.0 battery to me the weight feels about the same, I will have to weigh them and let you know.

The invoice is what I paid ,just so you know no BS.

The hedge trimmer is great it is much better quality than the stihl hla 65, but it is heavier the faster blade speed is the main reason I bought it , and I can see that being good. But this machine has a lot to prove to me as the hla65 is an excellent little machine, and if you couldn't afford the husky the stihl is nearly as good. And the stihl lays across the back seat of the ute on the floor the husky is a bit longer so has to lay across the seat a bit of a bummer.

The whippy, well to be honest when I fired it up I thought oh no this thing is crap, its got no guts at all, I pulled the thin line it comes with off and put some 2.4mm line on , I was thinking this thing will be on gumtree tonight.
    So I took it out the front and gave it a run on my edges, well I was blown away, it does sound like it has no guts but that is because its so quite, it does have great torque and power, I can see this becoming my go to whipper for all my well maintained lawns, I cant comment on runtime as I haven't run it enough.

What I don't like, well the loop handle is a bit small in diameter I might wrap a tennis racquet grip around it to make it a bit thicker, not for vibration as there is next to none.
    The biggest drawback is the head, I would like to fit a speed feed, but as Ed said its held on by a nylock nut maybe I could modify a speed feed , I will look into it, as I hate having to pull a head apart to respool out in the field . It did feed out ok though.

Just on the blower I have the stihl and toque twist is quite noticeable and its not very light and not very well balanced and does chew the battery , but its so handy , I used it on most of my jobs today yeah its not as powerful as petrol, but on the small jobs I can have them blown down before I have the petrol started. I still carry the handheld petrol and the backpack , the battery powered hasn't replaced them just added to making my work quicker and more enjoyable.

The whipper's small T 25 is my only dislike and the need to keep the trimmer line long at all times. Contractors are telling my H dealer that it needs 2.4/2.7 to minimise the line wear keeping the length longer in use. I'm thinking 2.7 wound on a small dia head might be a pain for bump feed, not sure as I used it today with 2.4mm and have always used 2.4mm. Had the 5.2 amp battery inserted and I use two bars up until midday, but they were very well maintained houses.
    I lost interest in working just after midday and went home to modify the trailer side tool box to accommodate the extra wide trim guard. I cut the solid metal sheet wall to allow it to slot through into the cage area. Will manu a small sheet metal cover on the cage side soon. My whipper is on the top shelf, so side cut was high enough to not bother the interior of solid sided cage.
    Spoke to H dealer around midday and said the down fall is the small head and he agreed with the next model release in time may address such we both felt. He was talking of the cuff with no inside knowledge.
    I said with petrol peoples all used to anti clockwise rotation, why wouldn't default with battery trimmer be set clockwise with the need to press the button may times per day. He agreed and is going to contact H to get the heads up if the default can be changed without swapping + - wires.

But it great and friendly on the ears, its so weird that it feels like it stalls when you stop for a moment because there's no motor to idle and cord to pull.
    Got a big day tomorrow and leaving the 323L behind and will use the 9.4amp with the 5.2 on board. I'm pretty sure the 9.4 will be fine on its own, will see.
    Cheers Garry

Re the line trimmer, is it the same length from trigger to head as the petrol 525? I find I have to stoop a bit with my 524 so I wouldn't want it any shorter.
    The battery trimmer I demoed a while back had handle bars, so it wasn't an issue.

Handed back me demo whipper today and got me new 536LILX Whipper at $360
    Needed another 9.4amp as today as I found out under heavy work load today another battery on board was needed. Paid $250 which is what I paid for the other 9.4 amp 3 days ago. There are good deals going for Contractors who supply an ABN, work order and have a good relationship with their dealer.
    A member here has seen my invoice for the above and knows its a validated price paid.

Did a Double Bay quality type home and next a Paspalum weeded lawn house by midday. So worked both ends of the spectrum. Having a 5.2 and 9.4 amp battery from 3 days ago. I soon found out I needed another 9.4amp battery.as I did some hedging at the higher end home. The second house would have had no external power points, although the first did. But didn't want to go down the track.
    Love the gear and will expand it as I go along this 36V path.
    Cheers Garry

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast