Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Husqvarna Battery Gear

Default Re: Husqvarna Battery Gear

SEM,
    Thanks for the tip on the right ear for when I'm back on ear muffs. Doing what you do re right plug +Muffs and also the usage of the battery should assist a recovery one hopes.
    Also I was aware what you were up to re the invoice price to get better pricing for others. Thanks. It also gave me a ball park when I enquired about price.

Whoops the double post whilst editing my right ear story.

edbeek, it's your original post topic and your've come on board with a purchase, good stuff. Whilst we/I are being critical in comments re product, its a great addition to my tools, but version two should see a better unit hopefully if they correct the spool size. I know my dealer is giving that feedback.

My Husky dealer owner today confirmed he sent off an e-mail re the default clockwise start, a minor prob but annoying for a contractor. But clockwise rotation mimics the curved cheap shaft petrol machines - is that the market they were thinking off for now with the T25 head???
    Will tell him about the guard being a concern at this point, as even using it anticlockwise, I've noticed debris can flick to the left and up far more than petrol models do when using for vertical edging.
    Cheers Garry

Ok my last review on the Battery Whipper. long read- grab a beer.

Today Sunday did my mammoth sized multi car dealership Commercial Job in one big strip. Bit like the Old Golden Mile in Nepean Highway from days gone by.
    Its 0.45km long and has a full length nature strip plus footpath, then a service road then another full length council area very wide nature strip with a curving footpath in the middle, then the main highway type road. Several dressy squared of lawn areas with trees and several separate lawn strips in behind the locked perimeter 1.5mtr type fence that must be trimmed with a whipper and not mowed due to high end luxury vehicles right beside it. So I need to control direction of debris which can be done with the whipper. Plus ten driveway cross overs.
    I high power blower clean the service road too.
    Then this very large address swings around a cnr into another major road for equivalent of 4 house blocks in length with a large area of council land towards a roundabout. All council areas I have written authorisation to maintain. The client requests all areas to maintained to a high degree including full Broadleaf/paspalum weed killer Spring/Autumn and fertilise as required. Usually serviced fortnightly. Full job is vertically edged and weed killed every visit with Glypho.

Whilst normally done fortnightly as mentioned, todays visit was a 3 wk interval and we have had rain, plus they water it, so growth was on the high side.

I took the petrol whipper also just encase the battery gear failed me. Will Not take petrol whipper next visit. But the multi tool petrol whipper is always on board,

The battery whipper excelled in every way. it was quicker, silent, easier on the body and EARS, saved 3 tanks of fuel, saved 50% whipper cord too -YES True. Was safer as I better situational awareness with walkers, joggers & traffic.

Used Eco mode and never felt I needed to disengage it. Eco mode saves on power and used very little trimmer cord, 1 cord breakage usually about 3, whilst prevents unnecessary flicking of objects great distances. But the guard still allow the occasional near or on face experience.
    I used 1 full 9.2 amp in the first 3/4 hr and some of that was heavy going and had two very brief heat related errors codes- it was 22deg at the time. Turn off, instantly re turn on and away I went again.
    The second 9.2 inserted now approaching 27 deg and had a much lighter work load area to service and consumed 2 bars in just on 3/4hr in eco mode but also used bit softer lighter controlled throttle as I was also working amongst car worth $100,000 and more for the last 15 minutes of the second battery pack run. Plus I had the unused fully charged 5.2 amp in the car too.

My vertical edges were straighter. I trialled Trail Blazer 2.7 instead of the usual 2.4 Trailer Blazer. Both were good, but I'm sticking to the 2.7.
    I wound the cord on backwards for anti clockwise rotation and never had a bump feed issue in eco mode or zero line weld and only one incidence of line breakage as mentioned. It bump feeds so easy now with reverse winding of cord even with the 2.7 cord and utilising anti clockwise rotation like straight shaft petrol units.

This job has a Motel opposite and houses so I can't start till 9.00am and on hot days that's been a pain for the last 7 years. Today I started at 8.00am with the silent whipper, Bloodly magic and got home earlier and not as much buggered and needing a nap at home afterwards as in the past.

This little whipper has won me today big time, regardless of stuff I've posted during the week. it gets better after getting used to it on varied jobs and tinkering with line, reverse winding, handle position and understanding noise does not equal power.
    My health app says I walked 7.6km and 14,755 steps.

Would I recommend one to get one - YES, absolutely and now, it cost me $360 for the skin, bargain. Its the Kevin Barlett of Football after today's big work out. The End.
    Cheers Garry

Thumbs up Re: Husqvarna Battery Gear

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    Ok my last review on the Battery Whipper. long read- grab a beer.

Today Sunday did my mammoth sized multi car dealership Commercial Job in one big strip. Bit like the Old Golden Mile in Nepean Highway from days gone by.
    Its 0.45km long and has a full length nature strip plus footpath, then a service road then another full length council area very wide nature strip with a curving footpath in the middle, then the main highway type road. Several dressy squared of lawn areas with trees and several separate lawn strips in behind the locked perimeter 1.5mtr type fence that must be trimmed with a whipper and not mowed due to high end luxury vehicles right beside it. So I need to control direction of debris which can be done with the whipper. Plus ten driveway cross overs.
    I high power blower clean the service road too.
    Then this very large address swings around a cnr into another major road for equivalent of 4 house blocks in length with a large area of council land towards a roundabout. All council areas I have written authorisation to maintain. The client requests all areas to maintained to a high degree including full Broadleaf/paspalum weed killer Spring/Autumn and fertilise as required. Usually serviced fortnightly. Full job is vertically edged and weed killed every visit with Glypho.

Whilst normally done fortnightly as mentioned, todays visit was a 3 wk interval and we have had rain, plus they water it, so growth was on the high side.

I took the petrol whipper also just encase the battery gear failed me. Will Not take petrol whipper next visit. But the multi tool petrol whipper is always on board,

The battery whipper excelled in every way. it was quicker, silent, easier on the body and EARS, saved 3 tanks of fuel, saved 50% whipper cord too -YES True. Was safer as I better situational awareness with walkers, joggers & traffic.

Used Eco mode and never felt I needed to disengage it. Eco mode saves on power and used very little trimmer cord, 1 cord breakage usually about 3, whilst prevents unnecessary flicking of objects great distances. But the guard still allow the occasional near or on face experience.
    I used 1 full 9.2 amp in the first 3/4 hr and some of that was heavy going and had two very brief heat related errors codes- it was 22deg at the time. Turn off, instantly re turn on and away I went again.
    The second 9.2 inserted now approaching 27 deg and had a much lighter work load area to service and consumed 2 bars in just on 3/4hr in eco mode but also used bit softer lighter controlled throttle as I was also working amongst car worth $100,000 and more for the last 15 minutes of the second battery pack run. Plus I had the unused fully charged 5.2 amp in the car too.

My vertical edges were straighter. I trialled Trail Blazer 2.7 instead of the usual 2.4 Trailer Blazer. Both were good, but I'm sticking to the 2.7.
    I wound the cord on backwards for anti clockwise rotation and never had a bump feed issue in eco mode or zero line weld and only one incidence of line breakage as mentioned. It bump feeds so easy now with reverse winding of cord even with the 2.7 cord and utilising anti clockwise rotation like straight shaft petrol units.

This job has a Motel opposite and houses so I can't start till 9.00am and on hot days that's been a pain for the last 7 years. Today I started at 8.00am with the silent whipper, Bloodly magic and got home earlier and not as much buggered and needing a nap at home afterwards as in the past.

This little whipper has won me today big time, regardless of stuff I've posted during the week. it gets better after getting used to it on varied jobs and tinkering with line, reverse winding, handle position and understanding noise does not equal power.
    My health app says I walked 7.6km and 14,755 steps.

Would I recommend one to get one - YES, absolutely and now, it cost me $360 for the skin, bargain. Its the Kevin Barlett of Football after today's big work out. The End.
    Some of us get excited Well done Gazza. Mine are still sitting in the garage. Batteries not even charged. Will have to get around to it one day
    Now I read your post I may get to the garage and charge em up. Will have a play next week

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    Some of us get excited Well done Gazza.
    I'm serious, this job inflicts serious pain on me and knocks me out when I get home, especially in summer.
    Its been a major contributor to my right ear issue, but not today. Did your ear plug thingy, plug in right ear and muffs over the top as it was cool enough throughout the morning.
    Anything that's makes this job easier is worthy of the Kevin Bartlett award. The Stilh BR700 Blower won the award too, but need to wear my gravity boots when using it so I don't get thrown backwards at full throttle.
    I do many other fortnightly jobs for this client and their big jobs and get calls at random on top off the regular work. One of my Best Clients and have been for 7 yrs. Plus I do lots of hedges for them as well, hence the battery extended hedger.

One other thing that suited me was the D handle placed backwards not set horizontal but angled hard over to the right much more than the petrol husky. (Mark angled harder over than texted photo). For me and my height it suited fine today and yesterday.

Get those Batteries recharged asap!!
    Cheers Garry

I'm serious, this job inflicts serious pain on me and knocks me out when I get home, especially in summer.
    Its been a major contributor to my right ear issue, but not today. Did your ear plug thingy, plug in right ear and muffs over the top as it was cool enough throughout the morning.
    Anything that's makes this job easier is worthy of the Kevin Bartlett award. The Stilh BR700 Blower won the award too, but need to wear my gravity boots when using it so I don't get thrown backwards at full throttle.
    I do many other fortnightly jobs for this client and their big jobs and get calls at random on top off the regular work. One of my Best Clients and have been for 7 yrs. Plus I do lots of hedges for them as well, hence the battery extended hedger.

One other thing that suited me was the D handle placed backwards not set horizontal but angled hard over to the right much more than the petrol husky. (Mark angled harder over than texted photo). For me and my height it suited fine today and yesterday.

Get those Batteries recharged asap!!

Onto it Gaz! Know exactly what you mean. A couple years younger but after some health related issues decided to plant my big a*** on the ride ons a bit more and get employees around me. Still have to do hedging and whippy work but definitely not to the extent or in the weather you do.

I have just put 50 hrs on my new Hustler ZTR over the last month so did not want all the excitement of new equipment in 1 go

That is so good , don't worry about long posts we all like to hear good honest reviews, especially when its such a big job.

Tomorrow is d day for me but after your post I feel very positive already.

First job is a funeral home so noise isn't an issue as nothing will wake the residents there.

With using battery hedge trimmers I have found I am more precise and actually do a better job.

I had a short play with the line trimmer today too. Same praise for it as Gazza once you get over the Noise = Power misnomer. Did some longish kikuyu first up & you feel reluctant to push it too hard, but it handles it ok. Then after I was feeling a bit more confidant with it, I took it up to some long Green Panic/Rhodes Grass/African Love Grass and it mowed it down as well as a small petrol trimmer.
    It's the same length as the petrol husky, but the head has more angle on it, so it suits me better- being quite tall. Feels like I'm not stooping as much.

Mine doesn't have the harness eyelet on it. I don't use a harness, but use the eyelet to tie it down or put a lockable cable through when driving, as my whippies don't fit in my toolbox.

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    I had a short play with the line trimmer today too. Same praise for it as Gazza once you get over the Noise = Power misnomer. Did some longish kikuyu first up & you feel reluctant to push it too hard, but it handles it ok. Then after I was feeling a bit more confidant with it, I took it up to some long Green Panic/Rhodes Grass/African Love Grass and it mowed it down as well as a small petrol trimmer.
    It's the same length as the petrol husky, but the head has more angle on it, so it suits me better- being quite tall. Feels like I'm not stooping as much.

Mine doesn't have the harness eyelet on it. I don't use a harness, but use the eyelet to tie it down or put a lockable cable through when driving, as my whippies don't fit in my toolbox.
    I've just finished moments ago modifying my upright trailer side opening tool box for the trimmer. Got the hole/slit cut in solid sheet cage wall, fitted cut thick green felt over the hole and place some slit in the felt to cushion the inserted wide guard whilst positioned on top shelf the other day. Then just now in the cage area made a metal guard plate for protection of the protruding guard using some surplus Purlin side beam rail material left over from when my shed was built, Job done.

The extra angle in the Dc trimmer head annoyed me until I reversed the handle and gave heaps of tilt to the right side of the D handle as mentioned before
    Cheers Garry

Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post
    That is so good , don't worry about long posts we all like to hear good honest reviews, especially when its such a big job.

Tomorrow is d day for me but after your post I feel very positive already.

First job is a funeral home so noise isn't an issue as nothing will wake the residents there.

With using battery hedge trimmers I have found I am more precise and actually do a better job.
    Better hope there's no funeral on, noticed our local guys do the funeral home very early. Plus you would have system worked out.
    Cheers Garry

Didn't think re the direction of the cord winding, as I was still using the dealers cord that was in it. But noticed it was not tapping right in anti c/wise direction.
    Battery chainsaw sounds good, but for my use it would be minimal as most of mine is the pole saw.

Dah, DON'T like the battery blower AT ALL.
    Think their jnr work experience kid from Sweden High School designed it and the board room directors when it got signed off must have been all on leave in Nice. Well the kid tried, but I give a few points for the blower pipe metal end trim, provided one doesn't get a zap from it.
    Tried the battery blower. May try it with a smaller battery for balance! Feels ok to me. Added a few inches on the nozzle from my back pack blower pipe.
    Will chew through the battery but will only be needed for convenience jobs.

Have a 300w inverter in the car. Getting a new trailer made right this minute so may set up a small battery/inverter box.

What do I need to know with charging Husky L/ion batteries via an inverter??

For those of you charging them at homes and business just make sure the charger is tested & tagged. Just another hoop to jump through.

Tried the whippy on my back grass. Will take a little getting used to but will be good for the hands with little vibration. Have got a few old handles I may try on it.
    I use mainly 2.4 and sometimes 2.0mm trailblazer for my maintenance jobs. Have also 2.7 trailblazer & 3.3 diamond edge but doubt that will fit - save it for the backpack whippy.

Tried the battery blower. May try it with a smaller battery for balance! Feels ok to me. Added a few inches on the nozzle from my back pack blower pipe.
    Will chew through the battery but will only be needed for convenience jobs.

Have a 300w inverter in the car. Getting a new trailer made right this minute so may set up a small battery/inverter box.

For those of you charging them at homes and business just make sure the charger is tested & tagged. Just another hoop to jump through.

Tried the whippy on my back grass. Will take a little getting used to but will be good for the hands with little vibration. Have got a few old handles I may try on it.
    I use mainly 2.4 and sometimes 2.0mm trailblazer for my maintenance jobs. Have also 2.7 trailblazer & 3.3 diamond edge but doubt that will fit - save it for the backpack whippy.
    Sitting on one PC doing dockets, Gst, invoices reconciling, etc, etc with Star trek on the other monitor on Go 9, then saw your post.

The blower to me had excessive torque twist side ways twisting the wrist and quite strong, with high current drain and below standard grunt, I'll pass that one up until version two is release which ever year that is.
    Re the Inverter the QC500 has a 6.0amp draw at 240V that's chewing a bit of power I just had look at the label on mine, without doing the spec's, 300w inverter is way under rated I would think

The trimmer is better with say 2.7MM or 2.4. I found 2.7 even better. It fits fine and release perfectly if you wind it as direction mentioned in prior posts. The spool being small needs the line kept long and thin line wears too quick or breaks and constant bumping required on a spool with not much on it will test ones patience compared to the larger T35.
    So by using using 2.4mm at a min and preferably 2.7 it works better. Even my Dealer owner who is an Husky Regional told me the same. Forget the 3.3mm too thick.

I wouldn't think at home one wouldn't need a tag as the only tagged items at home would be anything that's been repaired by service man, ie, washing machine, but yes definitely at a customers by law.

Re the handles when my dealer owner bought his in for me to demo I noticed the D handle was cranked well over to right instead of horizontal, works for me as said earlier on and works for him. That's to offset the greater angle of the lower direct drive electric motor when holding it in amore vertical fashion.
    The whipper grows on you as you use it more and experiment, which is highly noticeable in my few post leading up to today. When I was finishing of my trailer mod to carry the new whipper in the tool box later today. I could see and hear (both ears) the bloke in the lifestyle block behind us using a flat out petrol whipper, smoking, noising as sh*t and screeching in rpm to get the job. Said to my wife who didn't give a toss by the way, that's old tech working with petrol crap like that in whippies. That's how I'm starting feel with the hedger and whipper and don't vote for the Greens either.
    Cheers Garry

The error codes - you mean the small red warning light on the control pad?? What do you mean by heavy going..? I have had that only once doing a heavily overgrown lot full of knee-waist high paspalum. My Shindaiwa T270 was struggling in that as well, but the Husky overheating was due to constant running on full power with lots of resistance. The motor casing was too hot to even hold bare skin against. Never had issues solely with ambient temperatures up here in Qld and certainly not in eco mode!

What have you been using the inverter for?

I guess it’s your choice whether you use the Husky 12V car charger or the 240V quick chargers. I think they might have their own inverter charger as well? I would just check whether you need a pure sine wave inverter or not...

I have thought about adding solar panels very etc. but it seems like a lot of expense and complicated setup. Another option is an alternator charger fitted to your vehicle, basically a bigger alternator that can pump out more juice. But I might just add a 2nd batter my + inverter eventually and see how it goes...

Never even thought about test & tag... will have to check the rules on that!

Warranty: I got it wrong, there was never a 3 year warranty. But I looked up old posts and I mentioned a 2 year commercial warranty and we were all pouring over these details comparing against Stihl, AEG, etc. back then so they have definitely changed the warranty period since late 2015... Not a biggie tho... it’s only ~$360 for the line trimmer skin so if you get 2+ years of flat out use before something goes wrong that’s pretty good! Plus no maintenance, low noise & zero fumes in the meantime! I think I might just buy a new one and keep the old one, replace faulty buttons myself and try to hack the rotation and eco mode buttons so it starts in eco with the proper rotation.

Conrad,

The error code was nothing to do with ambient temperature, I just noted that as I thought someone would ask as I'm inland and can be 40+ in my enviro during summer. Those temps are due again later this week.
    It was non stop and no release of the trigger use during that period of time and I was in a council area having very strong kikuyu growth that I was edging. I actually burnt a ride on belt in the area for the first time ever on this job.
    It was just continuous use on mega size job and toward the end of usage on the first battery I was in the tougher area. The lower motor area was hot as expected like petrol units would be. One occasion was the red light flashed and the second was a green light on the left side of the unit. Its no concern, just recording the event, but the whipper has lots of torque. So its not getting into tougher grass causing it, it's more just continuous use for so long.
    I was in eco mode too.

Don't think I would ever worry about inverters, charging on the go etc for me in the way I run my little business on my own and not using battery blower. Plus I would like to slow the business up a little. Would just carry an extra 9.2amp battery if ever needed seeing I've been getting mine for $250 each. Probably need that gear when they release the new Honda HRU 236V as battery powered with two x 60 amp battery top inserted packets and there $750 bucks each.
    By that time Ill be wearing my hi vis flexible 360 deg solar near field charging jacket to assist run time whilst on the go. On second thoughts by that time I'll be in a Bupa home looking out the window watching a younger mowerman doing it. Whilst telling the nurses over and over that I used to pull a cord and use petrol.
    Cheers Garry

Quote Originally Posted by conrad View Post
    I just need to find a guard that will work properly with the anti-clockwise rotation. The central guard needed to work with both rotation directions does a poor job both ways - i’ve been dealing with eye problems after some crap was flicked up under my glasses a few weeks ago - not fun. I should have changed the guard a long time ago...
    Have a look at the guards on the 3 & 5 series petrol line trimmers. The mount looks identical & should fit straight on. There are 3 different shapes so one should suit you if you only run counter-clockwise. The last one I bought for my 524L was about $30.

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast