Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Trailer Hubs/Beariing Health Check

Default Trailer Hubs/Beariing Health Check

Found out today that another mowing chap in town who I won't name had a wheel come off a 10yr old trailer. Wheel became air borne and flew through the windscreen passenger side of a passing car. Mum had just dropped of a child that was sitting there moment earlier is the story exactly as told to me.

8 yrs ago I was coming home from Ballina NSW with me 4.9mtr Ally Craft in tow, Left very early in the morning and was on the Pacific Hwy just south of Grafton between Glenugie and Halfway creek on a single curving lane in the forresty part. Sun hadn't come up yet as being early morning and two cars headlights came in view around a bend. Second car had a small trailer. Trailer wheel closest to double lines came off, sparkes flying everywhere in the night and saw the wheel bounce in my headlights in the split second over my windscreen. Thought the boat windscreen would go but the wheel cleared it.
    Pull over when it was safe to do so and was in shock as to what could have happened and it missed me directly by inches above my screen.

Found out re the local incident as I booked in to have a new electric brake drums/magnets/bearings for next week before we start getting too busy. My trailer's 7yrs old , but did repack grease bearing August last year. But getting complete new kit on the front tandem wheels, it cheap to have new bearings/repack on the rear lazy wheels done at the same time.
    Cheers Garry

Default Re: Trailer Hubs/Beariing Health Check

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    Found out today that another mowing chap in town who I won't name had a wheel come off a 10yr old trailer. Wheel became air borne and flew through the windscreen passenger side of a passing car. Mum had just dropped of a child that was sitting there moment earlier is the story exactly as told to me.

8 yrs ago I was coming home from Ballina NSW with me 4.9mtr Ally Craft in tow, Left very early in the morning and was on the Pacific Hwy just south of Grafton between Glenugie and Halfway creek on a single curving lane in the forresty part. Sun hadn't come up yet as being early morning and two cars headlights came in view around a bend. Second car had a small trailer. Trailer wheel closest to double lines came off, sparkes flying everywhere in the night and saw the wheel bounce in my headlights in the split second over my windscreen. Thought the boat windscreen would go but the wheel cleared it.
    Pull over when it was safe to do so and was in shock as to what could have happened and it missed me directly by inches above my screen.

Found out re the local incident as I booked in to have a new electric brake drums/magnets/bearings for next week before we start getting too busy. My trailer's 7yrs old , but did repack grease bearing August last year. But getting complete new kit on the front tandem wheels, it cheap to have new bearings/repack on the rear lazy wheels done at the same time.
    Cripes. That's unreal. Couple of close calls there. I'm due for a repack of the bearings too I think.

However I'm just wondering if faulty wheel bearings would cause that.
    I'm thinking it is more likely loose wheelnuts or rusted studs.
    Was in cooma one day in a carpark and saw a wheel rolling down the road with no trailer attached.
    I looked up the road and there was a guy pulled over with a wheel missing on his trailer so I told him what happened.
    He was really calm like nothing had happened and mentioned something about him thinking the wheel nuts weren't tight enough.

Default Re: Trailer Hubs/Beariing Health Check

I check + re-pack the trailers wheel bearings every winter.
    Just to be sure.