Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Ride on Mowing Decks

Default Ride on Mowing Decks

Anyone here use or have experience with rear discharge decks? Maybe even mulching decks?

What are the pros & cons?

I know what I would like it for but I could not test a RD, only side discharge.
    There are pros for me just want to make sure I am not missing anything

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

Default Re: Ride on Mowing Decks

I predominately use my deck as a mulcher as it gives a better finish on regularly cut lawns. That said, anything feral and I lift the plate and side throw. I know the rear discharge is good from a safety point but I've seen council leave a bloody awful mess when the grass is long and wet.

Quote Originally Posted by GardeningSolutions View Post
    I predominately use my deck as a mulcher as it gives a better finish on regularly cut lawns. That said, anything feral and I lift the plate and side throw. I know the rear discharge is good from a safety point but I've seen council leave a bloody awful mess when the grass is long and wet.
    Thanks, was seriously considering RD deck, but now decided a side discharge is more versatile for most conditions. With a flip up deck I can put a mulch kit on out in the field in necessary

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

I manufactured a chute plate similar to what Redeye did on his Cox except I can easily lock mine in place to get a proper mulch. Also I've made a adapter plate to sit over the chute to hold the Honda catcher bag so I can catch those manicured couch lawns. I can do all this sitting on my ass and no bolts etc to be tightened. Adaptability of the side chute. Spray ,mulch & catch.

Side discharge with the option of mulching for mine but each to their own.

A few of the european ride on mower brands are building rear discharge / mulch decks.
    Rear discharge is good but if you are using it on a front mount then the dust is goint to be going under the machine & overheating may become an issue.
    Personally we run mulch decks. Only use discharge when the grass is really overgrown.

Happy mowing
    James
    Attached Images Attached Images

Walker mb is 48 inch sd and also mulch. Does a great job on well kept lawns.

Quote Originally Posted by grillonz View Post
    A few of the european ride on mower brands are building rear discharge / mulch decks.
    Rear discharge is good but if you are using it on a front mount then the dust is goint to be going under the machine & overheating may become an issue.
    Personally we run mulch decks. Only use discharge when the grass is really overgrown.

Happy mowing
    James
    Hi James.
    Sorry for the late reply. That's a lovely lawn, but I wondering what you do when there are leaves all over the lawn?
    Paul

I have a 42" Multi-Deck on my Walker MT - these have a "mulch" blade setup with 4 blades per rotor, 2 lower and 2 upper blades which really shred the clippings into a super-fine dust almost. It actually came assembled incorrectly from the shop, the blades with curved edges were fitted to the top. I fixed that up, now they lift clippings into the top of the deck to be recirculated and it does an awesome job.

I have 3-in-1 with catch, SD and mulch obviously - but if I had to choose I think I might go rear discharge/mulch combo. If you discharge long and/or wet grass it's going to look like a mess regardless of which side of the mower it comes from IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by P_M View Post
    Hi James.
    Sorry for the late reply. That's a lovely lawn, but I wondering what you do when there are leaves all over the lawn?
    Paul
    I find that leaves just disappear. If they are really thick a second pass tidies them up. I am currently mowing a retirement village with lots of leaves. During leaf season we mow weekly. Onsite staff blow the leaves off paths & roads onto the grass. And we come through & they are mulched up & gone.