Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rover new look 900 series 21"

Default Re: Rover new look 900 series 21"

that's a good looking chute, man sized.....

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Very Helpful Member

If anyone in Melbourne is interested in the older one (pick up only Cranbourne area )
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rover-pro...sAAOSwIFtaEw1C
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Two main things i'm interested in knowing is what's the mulching like and with the new gearbox can you slip the clutch when you get into the thick stuff.Or is it just on and off drive ?

Can't say yet about it's mulching ability yet BJ, but I suspect it's not the best.
    First job was browned off lawn with not much leaf growth, but plenty of seed heads. It was leaving a trail of very fine clippings on the left side. If you mow anti-clockwise, you can pick this up & leave a clean finish. If you mow up & back, the trail is fine enough to blow away easily. Don't know how it would go on thick leafy lawn yet.

My other jobs were catching and it seems to do a good job at that. The new catcher shape makes it easier to empty, but I'd like a rear handle like the old one. I like the fill indicator. It shows full before it starts leaving clumps on the lawn from overfull catcher.
    It leaves a nice cut. Seems to be plenty of vacuum to stand the grass up.

Hate the BBC control bale. It definitely needs modification.

I got rained out yesterday & kept mowing in light rain & then some more in very heavy rain and it kept catching fine until I was completely drenched.
    Drizzling again ATM, so not sure if I'll get out to try again today.

Not sure exactly how the gearbox works. I suspect there might be some sort of clutch in there. One part it was driving slowly so I adjusted the SP cable (same adjuster as the old one) and it drove properly again. I was working the bale the same as the old one to slow down and no clunks when engaging/disengaging.
    Top speed seems slower than the old one but my engine is definitely not running at max revs.

Went into my local stihl dealer to pick up some parts also where i purchased my 560,i said can't see any rovers on the floor.We don't carry rover any more.
    Went on to explain when MTD bought out rover all there domestic mowers went to crap but they left the 50 and 560 alone,now with the new range they are sh!t,we don't do warranty repairs or carry any spare parts for them.
    Ended in saying keep your 560.
    Was surprised to hear that

Just an update on the new Rover.
    Mixed feelings about it at present.

I'm a bit disappointed with the engine. It mostly takes several pulls (up to 8 pulls) to get it started hot or cold.
    Sadly lacking in power, but that might get better in time. I remember the Briggs 850 on my mulchmaster took quite a while to run-in.

I bought a set of Honda blades and it looks like they will work. They are the same dimensions except for the hole, but that doesn't matter if you use honda bolts. Bolt diameter is the same.(collar size is different) Haven't actually mowed with them yet.

I'm having problems with the mesh screen on the catcher clogging up very quickly which results in the catcher not filling. This is happening on thick dry grass. A quick wipe over with a steel brush cleans it up, but it's a pita every 3-4 catcher loads.
    I'm thinking maybe trying honda low lift blades, or maybe try only 2 blades. Otherwise get new mesh with larger holes or drill out some of the existing holes. Or maybe fitting a small deflector flap to steer the clippings down a bit, away from the screen.

I bent the SP bale a bit, so now I can put a clamp on the BBC bale and just operate the SP. The SP bale is still in an awkward position, but no more jammed fingers or BBC tripping out.

The cut quality is really good IMO. At least as good as the HRX, much better than the old 560.

I still go for the Mulchmaster for mulching, mostly because the Briggs 850 handles the load much better.

I upped the revs and what a difference it made. It travels much faster and the engine has good power now.
    Made a deflector to try to steer the clippings away from the mesh in the catcher, but it still clogs up the mesh quickly. Wire brush at the woolpac now.

The verdict- Much improved cut quality over the old one, but catching ability down a tad. Haven't mulched with it at the higher revs.
    - Still better than a Honda

Kikuyu in back lawn was double cut.

IMG_20171215_091048rs.jpg IMG_20171215_091001rs.jpg IMG_20171215_095957rs.jpg

Thank you Mr.Edbeek
    So far so good,mulching test to come and replace catcher mesh as a option which isn't a big deal

good job ed.........

I played with the catcher mesh a bit.
    Made a deflector but it did nothing.
    IMG_20171217_184417rs.jpg

Started drilling out the holes from original ~3mm to 5mm. (top right in pic)

I soon got sick of that so drilled some !7-8mm holes across the whole area.
    IMG_20171217_184229rs.jpg

I've caught a few lawns with it since, and the area with the 5mm holes stays clean whereas the rest will block up. you still need to clean the mesh every couple of catcher loads to keep packing the catcher tight.

I might try drilling some more 5mm ho;es, or more likely try a set of low lift blades. The stuff that's blocking the mesh isn't wet & mushy, it's dry, very fine fibres.

Super Gutter Guard bunnings,they got a few to choose from.
    A couple pieces and some zip ties,try it out.Should work Ed
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-1...guard_p3040589
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks BJ. I'll give that a go.

Cut out the majority of the original mesh so your left with a outer edge so you can zip tie to it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Any more news on the Rover Ed.?

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    Any more news on the Rover Ed.?
    Not really BJ.
    I haven't tried the gutter guard yet. I just wipe the screen with a wire brush every couple of catcher loads and that's working ok. It only takes a few seconds. Been fiddling around making some screens for the holes at the top of the sides of the catcher. Maybe they will stay clear for longer.

I have the honda hi-lift blades on it now and they work ok too. No better, no worse. Can't get the low lifts locally without paying a fortune for them.

Still prefer the Victa MM for mulching. No matter how thin the grass is, the Rover will leave a fine trail of clippings down the LHS.

It still takes a few pulls to get it started.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast