Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rover new look 900 series 21"

Default Re: Rover new look 900 series 21"

Are you going to be the Guinea pig BJ?

I need a new catcher mower. I bent the crankshaft on my HRX earlier this year and pulled my old ProCut out of retirement. I find it the easiest to operate over the HRX or the Mulchmaster.
    Just ordered some new drive parts to keep it going until the season kicks in properly here.
    I got to like the BBC on the HRX, so it's a welcome addition to the new ProCut, as is the snorkel on either engine option.

I'd go for the bigger Rover engine. I've got spare B&S 850 engines if it's not up to scratch.

My dealer is trying to talk me away from the Rover and into a HRU216, but I don't think I'll be going there.

I run the HRX and the Pro Cut 560 for different seasons and conditions.
    As for the Rover i'm on my 4th 560 as there's nothing else like it in SP for wet grass as we know.
    Realistically i'd reckon the new 900 series is the same machine with a new look deck and nothing to gain from previous model that i can see.

Currently i got the Kohler Courage 8.0 donk and realized later i would have prefered the 910 with rev adjustment lever fitted as the new 900 has included

Would i buy one tomorrow..YES. If it had a different drive system or has it ?

As for the HRU216 had 2 of em over the years and went to Rover for catching back to HRX for mulching.Would i buy another HRU216 NO too limited,what they can do best thing is they last a long time and only work good in dry conditions with or without catcher bag upgrade.

It looks the same as the old model with a few cosmetic changes. Even the deck looks the same.
    The Variable con bar that alters the pitch on the old one is gone.
    The gearbox looks a bit different. The drive cable on the new one goes into the gearbox at the other end, from the front.
    I don't mind the drive on the old ones. It takes a bit of maintenance, but it's pretty simple and apart from wheels, the parts are pretty cheap.

I'll keep plugging on with my old ProCut & mulchmaster for now. A mechanic friend has offered to try to straighten the crankshaft of my HRX so I might not need a new mower for a while, but if I do, I think it will be a new Rover.

I put the order in for a new ProCut 950 today, but they aren't available yet. Hope to have one in 3-4 weeks.

Seems there is a delay importing the new Rover 950 with the Rover engine. They are still 5 weeks away apparently.
    The 960 with the Kohler xt775 engine is now available so I changed my order.
    Hopefully the smaller engine is good enough.

[QUOTE=edbeek;153727]Seems there is a delay importing the new Rover 950 with the Rover engine. They are still 5 weeks away apparently.

Today i been have a look new rover 950 with Kohler engine and it is very good mower, exit of shute have down steel plate and i think it will give better cut, the drive is smaller from before, the catcher is different from before and now they have steel clip on sides same like Toro mowers( then they will not easy going off when mower jump, the dealer told me that it was possible to use honda 21'' blades on it, it will be faster from honda.

Only i don't like it was engine shut off if you leave push handle.. to stop that you should be put small rope on push handle to keep engine running

Hi Zoran, Are you sure the engine cuts out? I thought it would have been just the blades stopped when you release the lever.

I'm moving to Batemans Bay sooner than later and have a Rover 560 that goes great, located in Campbelltown NSW and asking 300 bucks if anyones looking around. Soz, no Paypal.

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    Seems there is a delay importing the new Rover 950 with the Rover engine. They are still 5 weeks away apparently.
    I got the XT8.0 engine,sometimes would have preferred the rover donk for that little bit more.The kohler engine has been trouble free so far and gets used on those 15cm overgrown kik wet catcher jobs.I had to ride (slip) the clutch at full revs.That mower has only done 3 winters.

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    Hi Zoran, Are you sure the engine cuts out? I thought it would have been just the blades stopped when you release the lever.
    Hi mate, that is what dealer told me, that engine would be stop. Because of if you going in reverses and fell down mower would be off when you release engine handle brake...

Very Helpful Member

http://www.rover.com.au/lawn-mowers/...ke-clutch.html
    http://www.rover.com.au/lawn-mowers/...ke-clutch.html

Pro Cut 950 Self Propelled Lawn Mower
    196cc Rover engine, self propelled, 53cm (21") strengthened alloy deck, mulch plug, blade brake clutch & polymer catcher

Pro Cut 960 Self Propelled Lawn Mower
    173cc Kohler engine, 53cm (21") strengthened alloy deck, mulch plug, blade brake clutch & polymer catcher.
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

My new Rover 960 turned up this afternoon. There's a few changes from the old 560.
    The obvious changes are 21" v 22", Blade brake Clutch, smaller 7.75 ft lb Kohler engine v old 8 ft lb. The 9 ft lb Rover engine will also be available soon.

It's got a different gearbox & the cork clutch plates are gone. It's still belt drive to the gearbox & chain drive to the axle. Pawls & pinions in the wheels look the same as the old one. Wheels are now held on with a nut instead of the old speed washers.

The mulch plug can now be in place with the catcher on for stealth mulching.
    The ramp to send the clippings into the catcher is now fixed to the deck instead of on the front of the catcher. The catcher now hooks on with tabs like a honda catcher.

Blades & blade disc are new. They didn't change the chute too much. Still nice & wide. Maybe even deeper than the old deck.

There's only 12 height positions v 15 on the old model.

The controls (BBC & SP) at the top of the handlebars seem a bit awkward to use. Might get used to them in time.

I have a few lawns I can use it on tomorrow so will see how it cuts.
    IMG_20171128_140654rs.jpg IMG_20171128_140842rs.jpg IMG_20171128_141008rs.jpg IMG_20171128_163330rs.jpg

Those blades look huge on that small disc
    Looking forward in hearing your report on this machine

They do look big BJ, but they are the same dimensions as a honda 216 blade (152mm x 50mm). (haven't checked the hole size) It would be good if honda blades will fit it.
    Looks like honda blades have a 5mm step down where as these only have maybe 1-2mm step. These have offset bolt holes. I see some honda blades also have offset holes but others look to have centred holes.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast