Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rover new look 900 series 21"

Default Re: Rover new look 900 series 21"

I'm going into a dealer tomorrow to have a look at one,spoke to that dealer today and the Rover rep was in the shop.I asked about the gearbox as i wanted to know if it was alright to slip the clutch at high revs while mulching so it didn't have the fast forward speed for a better finish
    He had no idea what i was talking about

Yeah, I've been riding the clutch in thicker grass the same as the 560.
    I'd go for the bigger Rover engine if I was buying one now.

too much slippin at high revs = stuffed clutch.

That's what i was thinking Ed,i do prefer the mulching finish from the Rover instead of the MM.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by BSD View Post
    too much slippin at high revs = stuffed clutch.
    True BSD
    If i stick with the rover 560 it should only be the cork that wears out as for the new 950 that might be another story

The HRX leaves a terrible finish of loose clippings on the grass when dry,it does leave it the whole width compared to rover or MM which is LHS.But the HRX leaves the best finish when grass is wet and it's when i use it in winter.
    The rover and MM leaving the clippings on LHS it gets collected again and by the time it's finished it's turned to dust only when dry
    I run the 3 mowers for the best finish during different seasons

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    Are you going to be the Guinea pig BJ?

I need a new catcher mower. I bent the crankshaft on my HRX earlier this year and pulled my old ProCut out of retirement. I find it the easiest to operate over the HRX or the Mulchmaster.
    Just ordered some new drive parts to keep it going until the season kicks in properly here.
    I got to like the BBC on the HRX, so it's a welcome addition to the new ProCut, as is the snorkel on either engine option.

I'd go for the bigger Rover engine. I've got spare B&S 850 engines if it's not up to scratch.

My dealer is trying to talk me away from the Rover and into a HRU216, but I don't think I'll be going there.
    Just picked up a second HRX only done 3 hours work cheap due to having a bent crank,did price a new engine supply only $825.Decided to order a new crank with seals $110 plus $200 for the dealer to do the repairs.
    If you want to bring it back to life Ed that's what it's going to roughly cost.

Thanks for that BJ.

My dealer wasn't interested in repairing it at all, but I've got an ex small engine mechanic lives nearby & he reckons he can straighten it. But if the crank & seals are so cheap, might be the better way to go.
    I haven't even look at the box of parts to see if the BBC or anything else was damaged. No oil leaking from the engine so it seems like the block is ok.

Very Helpful Member
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

The key start which i bought last June complete replacement engine is over a grand and then he went to say,it can be a problem trying to get a complete $825 (pull start) engine from the states if that's what i wanted.

We looked at many options in engines models as the Honda site was showing limited dimension but the main factor was it needed to be a 25x85mm crank engine and be able to fit within the deck"s dimensions.The best and cheapest choice was to bring in just the crank (USA) and replace it.
    Purchase price of mower,parts and labor will total $450 all up on a near new mower

This mower had nothing as a release mechanism incase hitting a solid object with the bar blade,i'm working on fitting a disc and 4 blades

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    I upped the revs and what a difference it made. It travels much faster and the engine has good power now.
    Made a deflector to try to steer the clippings away from the mesh in the catcher, but it still clogs up the mesh quickly. Wire brush at the woolpac now.

The verdict- Much improved cut quality over the old one, but catching ability down a tad. Haven't mulched with it at the higher revs.
    - Still better than a Honda

Kikuyu in back lawn was double cut.

Attachment 9238 Attachment 9239 Attachment 9240
    Just ordered one,picking it up tomorrow.,did you find the speed ok or slow?I hate when the sp is slower than fast walking pace(hrx speed is perfect)..

Hi Jim, I find the speed fast enough. It's not as fast as the Mulchmaster at top pace. I can't really remember how fast the HRX was, but I'd say the rover might be a bit slower than the HRX at top speed too.
    Did you get the Kohler engine or the Rover?

Got the 910 engine as I already have 2 procut 50,1 sp (in need of repair)and 1 plushie,both with rover 910 engine,and have never given me any trouble, I'm using the pushie for all jobs at the mo,so it will be a relief to use a self propelled again..

Getting used to the 950 now,it gives a good cut,haven't had any of the issues with the catcher not filling(yet)it mulches better than the procut 50 too.it is a bit heaver but fairly easy to maneuver.the pace (for me)is way too slow (unless I've had too many beers the night before!ha!). I can up the rpm after a while.how soon is it safe to do that?or is there another way to increase the pace?

Good one Jim. The speed will improve when you increase the revs, but still slower than the MM or HRX.
    I found the BBC bale too fiddly, so I clamp it (as I do with the HRX too).
    Haven't looked at the drive much, but you might be able to change the pulley or sprocket sizes to increase speed if it really annoys you.

Yeah too many levers to keep engaged is pita when turning in tight spaces,easy to catch fingers between them but its handy to turn off the blades when going over stoney paths or a couple of steps and emptying the catcher,etc.
    Did you say that honda 21 blades will fit ?I haven't enquired about replacement blades yet but they might be hard to buy in bulk..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast